Forums

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Author Topic: Rules/Standards for Speedrunning and ideas for improvments  (Read 2208 times)
Online  QuBA
Soldier

Dragonerz asked redwine but didnt allow even though we had the mysqlite plugin already but whats the point of having the plugin if it doesnt work without the database.

Are you serious right now? I just said you probably have to ask someone else for permission before he gives out the DB info...

Offline  Shunix
Soldier

Awooooo!
So much tension in the past few days i'm scared :(

---------------------------

Soldier

bball
don't worry skun after the storm comes sun
:))

i play bball often

Rocketman

don't worry skun after the storm comes sun
:))

Worms are more likely.  Lots of ugly disgusting wriggly worms.

Hi!

Soldier

Not to be mean glow but, you honestly think the "jump" scene can grow?

lets be real here, there's probably under 5k total jumpers in the world, and around 300 of them being "high level"

and within those 300 around 20 being "pr0 jumper"(quba, adri, jamie, akiot, onikan. fat glow(yes u))

that's pretty small m8.

The 90% of jumpers are exceedingly bad at it, and don't want to put more time into it. (get discouraged too easily) I don't see any "rising stars" coming out of no-where, they most likely have been jumping for awhile and decided to speedrun for once.
just my 2cents
vanilla loadout 4lyfe.

Offline  Burger
Maggot

Well it certainly will not grow if no one tries to make things better, it won't grow with current systems in place in fact it will likely shrink. On another note a few thousand jumpers, a few hundred good jumpers and a handful of gods is not bad for a niche in a game (so we can at least make things better for them). Also tf2 has what? like 100k active players at least so at least give them something to enjoy seeing rocket jumping taken to a new level. As a defrag player there is maybe only a few hundred defragers, and also only a handful of godly players. While the player base is certainly not growing the skill level still continues to and is likely not to die soon. Tf2 jump on the other hand seems to be losing interest of the better jumpers if anything, a lot having to do with the systems we have in place now.

I don't think we need all the negativity and pessimism, we could all agree tf2jump could be better than it is (there is always room for improvement). Remember the idea of the thread here was to just get some ideas to make speed running better for speed runners and to help legitimize runs. If we can do that then the skill level will grow for sure and maybe bring in some more players, cant complain about that  :). Anyway seems most things have been debated out feel free to add more (opinions on rules and improvements, stay on topic!).

Rocketman

No tears now; only dreams
Not to be mean glow but, you honestly think the "jump" scene can grow?

lets be real here, there's probably under 5k total jumpers in the world, and around 300 of them being "high level"

and within those 300 around 20 being "pr0 jumper"(quba, adri, jamie, akiot, onikan. fat glow(yes u))

that's pretty small m8.

The 90% of jumpers are exceedingly bad at it, and don't want to put more time into it. (get discouraged too easily) I don't see any "rising stars" coming out of no-where, they most likely have been jumping for awhile and decided to speedrun for once.
just my 2cents
vanilla loadout 4lyfe.

It can grow for sure imo. There are still a ton of tf2 players, the amt of overall jumpers is probably even growing. There are a TON of casual jumpers. The thing is that they just jump to get better at actual playing, not necessarily jumping. But I personally can say that what drew me in was speedrunning, and I'm sure it was the same for others. It gave me a reason to improve. Jumping around in servs without a timer is 100% pointless for me and I only do it if there are friends in the servers. If skillsrank or the database or any speedrun related thing didn't exist I probably would have stopped playing or if I still was, been a lot worse at it.

I recollect this being the reason MIKE left for surfing - no proper competition or WR setup like surfing has. Maybe even raiin too... I can dig up the thread where he says this if you want...

And quba, I was just referring to your general attitude in this thread. Just seems like you're trying to shoot down every idea/suggestion. Like this:

"Nobody ever seems to consider that maybe we dont have so few people doing runs cause all these systems are so "bad", but that the system are so "bad" because not enough people actually care about doing runs."

We're just trying improve what we have... It's obvious it's not just me that cares, it's just that it takes a significant amt of technical knowledge to pull off.

It's also a fact that you just can't get access to the db or JA if you're unknown. It all comes down to not giving it out to ppl who may cheat the times w/ admin abuse, which is partly why I want it to be cheat-proof so it's easily accessible to anyone and everyone. Also, the iT servers' timers have been down since steampipe, there's been several threads and bumps about it. Stop passing it off like it hasn't been brought up... Redwine just doesn't seem active anymore to make changes, or whoever can fix it.

Online  QuBA
Soldier

It's also a fact that you just can't get access to the db or JA if you're unknown.

FFS can everyone please stop saying that shit? A while ago a tbBeetle opened a Trolling Bunnies jump server and he had skillsrank + was connected to tf2jump DB. And im 99% sure he didnt fucking know anyone prior to that.

Offline  Yami
Rocketeer

excluding portions of the world (atm players like momiko, onakin, torii, combustion, lambda, skeleton are all excluded unless they want to try with a ton of lag)

Their fault for not installing skillsrank on their servers or not hooking them up to the tf2jump databse, has nothing to do with the plugin.

Lol so thats what u think? You'd think redwine would just give us skillsrank? Me and Dragonerz spent MONTHS last year trying to get JA plus skillsrank. We managed to get JA but not skillsrank cause it was to damn hard to get our hands on
lol

Soldier

Hi
It's also a fact that you just can't get access to the db or JA if you're unknown.

FFS can everyone please stop saying that shit? A while ago a tbBeetle opened a Trolling Bunnies jump server and he had skillsrank + was connected to tf2jump DB. And im 99% sure he didnt fucking know anyone prior to that.
Surely since yr such a expert why dont u explain how he did with no connection to anyone prior to that

Hi

Online  QuBA
Soldier

Surely since yr such a expert why dont u explain how he did with no connection to anyone prior to that

Ok I give up. I admit its impossible to get your server connected to the tf2jump DB unless your redwines lover.

Offline  CrancK
Rocketeer

ehh... what?
dude...
not intending to be annoying or anything, but i'm pretty sure i gave the plugin anyone who asked me, save for the few really silly people, who were like "giev me pl0x, kthxbye"

(or is this only about Redwine by now?)

in which case i would still be like, well... learn to code and shit, and you don't have to put up with neither me or redwine

(though once again, and i can't speak for redwine, only myself... afaik i've been nice to everyone and tried to help anyone that asked me)

Offline  dellort
Rocketeer

Video Maker Extraordinaire
But I personally can say that what drew me in was speedrunning, and I'm sure it was the same for others. It gave me a reason to improve.

Although I didn't realize until after the fact I think the lack of a good timing system was why I stopped jumping. After reaching a certain level where you can beat most maps with ease (keep in mind I mean a couple of years ago when maps weren't as difficult) it became really boring to just jump around over and over again on the same maps. This isn't such a problem anymore as some maps are so difficult to the point where nobody can beat them in a single run (ie. squared, sync), but making maps extremely difficult isn't really a fun way to fix this problem. It's no better sitting on the same jump for hours than it is replaying easy maps for hours.

Anyways, I think the KSF surf timer is actually a great setup to strive towards. There would have to be a few key changes made to that model to better suit jumping but overall it would work well. I'll list a few reasons why I like it so much:

- The points system allows you to set specific goals (ex. I want to reach 1500 points as fast as possible) and also allows you to compare yourself to other players somewhat effectively.
- All of the panels such as the player profiles, top wr list, top surfers list, are easy to bring up and appear as if they're a regular element in the game (as opposed to a html window which won't load half the time and you can't continue to play with it open).
- It records your time automatically, no need to hit the small frog model each time to start a run.
- Access to noclip for anyone, your timer must just be disabled before using it.

Those are some of the main things I can think of. In order to provide such a setup though not only would it have to be made (which may or may not be a lot of work depending on if we could get access to the existing KSF system, perhaps if a collective donation from the jumpers was made to KSF they would share it), but the real work would exist in all of the map editing. The system does not allows multiple versions of maps to be uploaded and updated, they have to be in their final version with no future changes planned before being added to the server. Furthermore, different zones have to be placed around the map before the timer functions, including the starting zone, ending zone, as well as zones at the start of each stage.

Now, a few reasons why the KSF timer wouldn't work as effectively in jumping as it does for surf:

- Lag/latency; surf is hardly affected by players with high ping because most of surf is client-side (including bhop in CSS), the only "laggy" aspects of surf are the teleports and boosts, which are not particularly common in most surf maps. In jump this would be more of a problem because of the projectiles involved, as well as the fact that so many maps have doors between stages, boosts, and other elements. This is an issue for any timing mod of course but I bring it up for the KSF one specifically because it could greatly affect the "stage record/time" feature if that was enabled on it.
- The points algorithm might need to be changed considering how many fewer players exist on tf2jump than in CSS surfing. The algorithm used by KSF means the points given from records and runs is directly affected by the numbers of players who have completed the map with times above/belows yours. If in tf2, on a map such as jump_scorpion, very few completions would actually exist, meaning a nofail map run and a run which took two hours would only differ by a few points, which isn't fair to the player who earned the top time. The points algorithms might need to be adjusted for this. Perhaps a constant numbers of points would need to be given depending on map difficulty and place you earned on the map, as opposed to how many completions it has. Points could also be given for completion but those two calculations would be separate.
- So many maps have long tunnels and terrain between jumps. This would make it really hard to implement the stage record/time feature which I mention above with the point about lag. Perhaps in tf2 it would be best to remove this feature entirely and stick to only full map times. If stage times/records didn't exist the points given for individual stage completion could still exist though.
- The KSF timer exists exclusively on the three KSF servers. The actual timer and database is managed primarily by one person who is trusted to remove any illegitimate times and not to alter any others. The same thing would be necessary in tf2. If such a system was implemented the only way this could work across more than just the jump it servers is if one person were given direct access/control to each of the servers as well as complete control over the timer database.

The way I see it is there would be a lot of work involved in making a great timer system, as well as a few barriers which would need to be addressed. I agree with Afterglow though that a good system would make a huge difference in the jump scene. Not only would it increase the overall number of jumpers but the general skill level would go up a lot. I see people on Jump iT who have played there for months now, and still have yet to even come close to completing any map beyond what we would deem "beginner-level". On KSF this isn't really the case (at least not to the same degree). The system motivates you to progress by directly rewarding map completion through points, and it also clearly shows existing records, what time to need to achieve to earn x rank on the map, etc.

Sorry this post is messy, I didn't spend any time planning it out, just went along with my ideas as I was typing.

« Last Edit: July 16, 2013, 08:21:30 AM by dellort »

Offline  CrancK
Rocketeer

ehh... what?
dude...
-point system, simple to make, but hard to design proper

-panels, simple but depending on how many options you want on it could take a long time (i could actually do this for skillsrank i think, i'd have to check tho, though then again, i don't think anyone really wants skillsrank anwyay so meh)

-noclip, easy idea, fairly easy implementation depending on how you want it

-autorecord, 50/50 people will like it or not, at first i made all the triggers large for skillsrank enough to fit corridors, and people didnt like it (hence also the /norun command, people didnt actually like speedrunning at quite a few different points in time, hell i got told off by a few for making them having to go through the trouble of doing a command to disable it), if designed from start, still a bit of work, but easy enough (i actually added this last update on skillsrank, but i fucked up and somehow they arent uploading them times)

-stages, already doable in skillsrank, just the whole point thingy not yet, but ye, def doable

-lag is no problem afaik, since everything of timer is serverside anyway, i mean sure, ppl will get lag, but the server "should" not experience any, thus be pinpoint accurate

-point algorythms you can make as complex as you like, just more work

-tunnels why is that a problem? just put the "stage"  thingys at start of jump, surely some maps will be annoying, but thats the map's problem, in any speedrun game theres crappy maps for speedrunning and good ones

-Said system of 1 person being managed by 1 person is exactly what he have right now, and people seem to up all up in arms about it in this thread... not sure thats such a wonderfull idea

So ye, if put like dellort puts it, it's relatively easy to make... just a lot of stuff
Sooo.... find someone to code it (or get the ksf one, if you can).

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(also just as a small sidenote, skillsrank can do most of these things or was designed for most of these things, and were taken out because people didn't like a lot of it, or i was advised against it (for example the points system, it actually still has a deprecated version of that in the plugin i think). now probably ppls opinions have changed by now, just that in the beginning, a lot of this was stuf people didn't want, so i didn't put it in (or did and had to take it out/disable it)
« Last Edit: July 16, 2013, 09:23:41 AM by CrancK »

Offline  Burger
Maggot

KSF timer I think is something to strive for in terms of the point system and its other interesting feature such as player name ranking, wr, pr, etc. It just makes things more entertaining. Though there is no offline timing system (I think) for surf, I think that its important that there is consistency with the server and offline times for jump or in any skill game really (its just nice to have a long time to try for records with no interruptions).  Even if offline times are separate from the point system and database it would be good just for data, but perhaps a team of people could be responsible for manually adding times to a database among other tasks (demo review, removing cheated times, etc).

About latency though, would that matter much as long as people did times in their region? (ofc offline would fix that anyway).

But there are a few great timers out there to follow after, kz, defrag and ksf (ones Ive had good experiences with). kz and defrag are both pretty simple timer systems in that they have no point systems, the rankings on the maps alone are enough to improve with and ofc beating your own times. kz Ive had little experience with however I think the defrag timer is great.

So I think a solid timer would be offline times (like in kz and defrag), a good point and ranking system (like in ksf), and a global online database across any server that chooses to partake in the system (like in kz, defrag and how tf2 jump is now). There are some features to be learned from in all of the timers. ksf for sure has an entertaining and addictive system.

@cranck

yea autorecord some people I guess just hate a clock on their screen I guess? ;D I'm not quite sure how this would be handled I think a /norun or /practice command would help a lot. But hopefully with a better system people would enjoy speedrunning more, also more beginner and intermediate maps would help with this (I mean I don't even want to speedrun something like scorpion).

Also maybe we could start some kind of donations to hire someone to work on a timer system, idk who are some big names in the tf2 modding community? the guy who made parkour fortress had decent timer for that, but best would be someone closer to the jump community.

Another option just overhaul skillsrank, it seems skillsrank  and our database were on a good track (almost feels incomplete, chances this wont happen).

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
« previous next »

spirit Powered by SMF 2.0 RC5 | SMF © 2006–2011, Simple Machines LLC