Forums

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9
Author Topic: Me Made a Map  (Read 17473 times)
Maggot

Yea... as the title says... me made a map...

I don't even know if there's even a demand for this, but yea... story:

a Friend of mine doesn't really have time often - and after playing on adventure for some time we soon figured out, that the learning curve of the maps 4th part was kinda hard for beginners - and so for him... we went to search for alternatives - specifically maps that are not too difficult for him to try on... we found rckteer... and finished it in an hour or so... that was kind of it...

so i thought to myself... well ... as there are so few beginner maps out there... why not try making one yourself... and this is kinda what happened from there...

It consists of an easy (blue) course and a more difficult (red) one, though the experienced players may find that its no real challenge either and can be finished quite fast...

its still in an alpha state... though i don't know if I'm gonna flesh it out sometime in the future or not... probably not... yea...

anyways - i present to you, jump_4starters in its current and final state until someone tells me of a bigger problem than "hey, i can't make this jump, make it easier" or "it's too easy for me - make something cooler and harder"

if any one finds bugs or real problems, feel free to annoy me in any way possible
also, if any one would like me to flesh out the map, cause he's of the opinion there is a demand for detailed easy jump maps, he likes the map, and would like to see its final state... feel free to annoy me even more...

you may now stone me for being a bad map-making-thingie

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What you say, an update already?
Yeeea - i kinda missed out on some more or less important things i fixed up now, so i may humbly present:
jump_4starters_a2
the second alpha stage

fixed:
-made all skip etc. teleporters only 1 unit high, instead of 4 units
-changed a few textures to more clearly convey what people may jump upon and what they should not
-changed the last walls on the double speedshot to let rockets through to prevent excessive jump cheating there

thanks to Drexen for Pointing that out :)

also, while I'm at it - thanks to the excessive beta testers - voluntary and involuntary (people kept connecting on me while i tested the map, crazy i tell you O_O)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

alright... finally got to editing a bit again, so i can proudly present to you

jump_4starters_a4
<deleted link was here O_O>

the fourth alpha version of the map
but blind one, what has changed? you may ask O_O
-the answer is simple, some jumps were cheatable so they were easier than the actual jump - fixed most of it, that i found significant
-added 2 more jumps - search, and mb you are gonna find em - hint: they are where the two intelligences were placed in a2 (placed the intelligence at the end of each)
-played around with hdr lightning, just for the giggles and sparkly prettyness

yea, and thats it for now... its not much, but whatever

thanks to everyone who played the map, and gave feedback - thanks to everyone who will somewhen play it... yea :)

keep jumping

and as always: comments/hints/critic greatly appreaciated, as long as its constructive :)

Oh and one last thing:
i was thinking about expanding this project, making a teleport spawnroom that gets you to the different levels, and making a new stage with harder jumps, i'd like to know what you think of that... is it a good idea to pack as much into one map as humanly possible, or would you find it better if i just started a new one, and left this one as it is?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Done with my C-Course, finally

Lots of changes:

- i took out red spawns, to the map hosts, please keep that in mind - no red spawns means you gotta prevent players from spawning red at all, cause the system will just take blue spawns as standart if it doesn't find any reds, and you don't want players shooting each other and not jumping

- added a complete new course with a new bonus jump, so search now or be forever silent :)

- put the bonus rooms together into a big new black box, so every bonus can see the other ones

- added a teleporter somewhere at the end of each course, to take you back to spawn for better speedrunnability

Thanks so much to Drexen who once again proved to be insanely helpful when radiosity wouldn't compile because of lightmap size, took him about 2 minutes to find the problem while i would have taken at least 2 hours to find and fix this on my own
Thanks to Matti for pointing out that surf surfaces are better made into func_details to keep vvis compile times low

anything i missed? aaaw, yea, the map file... here you go:

###a5 Download was here###

i hope you like it so far :)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

aaaaalright, crazy persons who hurt themselves with rockets all the time
its update time again

and this time its a big one
its jump_4starters_a8 --- wow, never thought this would go this far :P

I completely reworked the textures to finally make the map my own, now i feel like its really mine, and no longer a generic measure thingie, even though the textures are not that great... but yea, whatever

One new course is now there to be played, its still not exactly the hardest, but its difficult enough for me to bite my teeth on some of the jumps - i hope you like it
to get into it: at the end of each bonus jump, there is a button, that has to be shot - when all 3 are active, and someone steps on the closed up well like contraption, it opens up for the d course to be accessible

i really hope you like what you get here

laters ;)

oh wait, forgot the download link again, here you go:
###a8 was here###

on another note: i got an idea for the design of an e course already... just need to get some jumps down... and a way to get into it --- but whats important about that: i am still not finished - at least probably not - although i really wanna do something else for a month or so now... but yea, im gonna see when the fever hits again, and i cant let go of hammer for several hours a day... until then...

comments, hints, critics greatly appreciated, thanks for playing.... keep jumping i guess ;)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

alright, it hit me a lot earlier than expected because of unintended... interventions... yea...

had to fix a lot of stuff on d and majorly rework at least some of the jumps, but i got it done, and the result is:

jump_4starters_a9 --- god this numbers keep growing o0

http://www.mediafire.com/file/xomsr4cmb4358s7/jump_4starters_a9.zip

thanks to Huh, Quba and Scott for testing the jumps and telling me where stuff needs to be fixed and altered
also thanks to everyone who jumped a8 and told me of things to fix

cu next time

laters ;)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Edit for RC1:

okay, i am literally missing one thing, and that is the 3d skybox, but right now I DONT CARE (it doesn't change gameplay, so whatever)

for now i am done, and i need testers, so its finally time for Jump 4 Starters RC 1

Grim, i finally put it in - i have no idea if you still even think about jumping atm, but i made a promise to you, and i kept it, now you have to find it :3

To everyone else:

- I completely re-lit every course, and overhauled texturing a bit, so it will look.... lets call it different - better or worse is on you to decide - I like it this way

- I added 2 completely new courses

- I added a new secret, to unlock it, you have to find the hidden rooms with their switches, and visit them in pairs - shoot both switches at the same time, and a pink light will confirm your success - find all and a hidden path will open SOMEWHERE (and i hope you'll be able to enter it... couldn't check that on myself, but the setup should work out, so i'm not worried)

-I changed a few jumps up a bit, and made minor adjustments to others (like making D5 easier)

so, yea, without further hesitation, here comes the link:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/s6asew1wgfasyis/jump_4starters_rc1.zip

have fun with it and stuff :3
laters
« Last Edit: April 16, 2013, 04:35:06 PM by Blind Girl »

Offline  Klanana
Rocketman

iT! Servers Owner
Team Spec Extraordinaire
Nice! Uploading to jump it right now to test out!

---------------------------

Jump iT - 64.74.97.15:27015 | JuJump iT - 74.91.113.66:27015 | Surf iT - 216.52.143.76:27015
Bball iT - 74.91.113.9:27015 | MGE iT - 74.91.122.39:27015

Offline  Drexen
Rocketeer

Sweet first map, jumps are lit nicely, geometry is good, jumps aren't original but still make for a good beginners map!

Offline  Huh?
Maggot

me like  8)

Offline  X_DIAS
Rocketman

The world is a cube
Nice work indeed
The map has a nice skill progress
I'll use it for sure whenever i try to teach someone jumping

Maggot

There is no shame in creating beginner maps, everyone has to start somewhere. If the amount of advanced jumping maps greatly out number the amount of beginner maps, then kudos to you for stepping up and trying to fill in the gap. The majority of players are beginner jumpers (out of the people who try), and the advanced maps scare them away. More maps like this may encourage them to stay and perhaps take their skill further once they raise their confidence.

Offline  Avaray
Maggot

,,i,,_(-_-)_,,i,,
I like your map. End of blue team is good - free jumping :)

Offline  X_DIAS
Rocketman

The world is a cube
A 3rd and maybe 4th course would be nice :)

Maybe put the actual red course next to the blue one and make red be the harder courses

Maggot

tanks for your comments, I'm working on a third stage right now... will probably take some time - depending on how motivated i can get over this, and how incredibly unable i am with connecting rooms and bringing in windows and stuff

yea.... just wanted to say this

c u then :)

Offline  X_DIAS
Rocketman

The world is a cube
Ooh, and the secrets were well hiden imo
Took me a while to find them

Offline  Klanana
Rocketman

iT! Servers Owner
Team Spec Extraordinaire
Ah just a heads up you should toss a new post in the thread when you release a new version so it pops up under new posts - Jump iT is still the very first release! I will upload the new version when I get home (unless someone beats me to it)

---------------------------

Jump iT - 64.74.97.15:27015 | JuJump iT - 74.91.113.66:27015 | Surf iT - 216.52.143.76:27015
Bball iT - 74.91.113.9:27015 | MGE iT - 74.91.122.39:27015

Maggot

so, new version is out now, i got my new course for you :)

as always, I NEED COMMENTS - and critic and whatever comes to your mind seing the new release :)

also - sorry there are no kangaroos in it O_O

Fly

2Tired2Pogo
also - sorry there are no kangaroos in it O_O

;-;

Offline  X_DIAS
Rocketman

The world is a cube
Thanks for adding a new course, i think that the dificullty curve is nice, and it calls for a 4th course
I like the idea of using the A B C decals
Also, the new secret is quite well hidden, and i really like that jump were you had to start from the left wall, skip and speedshot

Oh, and only found 1 bug
in j3 (course C ofc) at the end, you can see the first course, but there is no glass in the gap (but a playerclip is there anyway)

also, idk if you wanted that way, but the cp's seem wrongly set, cause you need to cap B to be able to cap A

Maggot

Thanks for adding a new course, i think that the dificullty curve is nice, and it calls for a 4th course
I like the idea of using the A B C decals
Also, the new secret is quite well hidden, and i really like that jump were you had to start from the left wall, skip and speedshot

Oh, and only found 1 bug
in j3 (course C ofc) at the end, you can see the first course, but there is no glass in the gap (but a playerclip is there anyway)

also, idk if you wanted that way, but the cp's seem wrongly set, cause you need to cap B to be able to cap A

didnt see the bug there, thanks, will be worked out in the next release, gonna write it down now so i dont forget it ^^

the cp's i absolutely didn't even think about, they shouldn't be capped anyway - its just to show: "### reached cp *whatever* as soldier, so gratulate him dimwhits O_O"

the D course is gonna come somewhen, its why the map is still alpha, wanted to get the courses all done before i get into beta phase... for me beta is content complete... so... yea xD
but, like i said, D WILL COME - its gonna be more difficult again, and it will probably finally revoke this maps right to be called 4starters... but im too lazy to find a new name, so whatever xD
« Last Edit: January 28, 2012, 02:46:10 AM by Blind Girl »

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9
« previous next »

spirit Powered by SMF 2.0 RC5 | SMF © 2006–2011, Simple Machines LLC