Forums

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9
Author Topic: Me Made a Map  (Read 17470 times)
Offline  Swi1ch
Maggot

Hey, i'm trying this map. I'm doing the A course and after the three wall climbs there's a huge pit that you fall into with the exit right at the top, and no matter how hard I try I just cannot climb up there with only four rockets. How are you supposed to make this one?

Rocketeer

Hey, i'm trying this map. I'm doing the A course and after the three wall climbs there's a huge pit that you fall into with the exit right at the top, and no matter how hard I try I just cannot climb up there with only four rockets. How are you supposed to make this one?

Double rocketjump. climb with three rockets, fall down a bit shoot a rocket at the ground and as you land rocketjump again (double rocketjump) and climb up.

---------------------------

Rocketman

If you wanted to be cute about it, you can also just shoot the glass at the top immediately after jumping out and get there in 1 rocket.

But yeah, that one is a double by default (or triple if you want.)

Maggot

seems like i really gotta get an explanation into this one... i just got no idea how... a chart on the wall? mb a plain text stating what to do? an animated gif thingie? mb markings on the wall?

Offline  duppy
Fly

I'm not too great and jumping, but the 2nd jump (water jump) on the 'B' route kind of bugs me.  Where you start the jump, I think it's a little too easy to get reset by touching the gray part of the floor.  In your next update, I'd appreciate it if you could maybe sink down that gray area 128 units or so, and maybe make that red area straight across instead of an 'L' shape.  Here's a screenshot of the area I'm talking about:

In general, I think a lot of jumps could use some more lighting as well, including that water jump I mentioned.  Great map though; I hope you continue improving this one and making more in the future.

Edit: forgot to mention...this is jump_4starters_a5 map I'm referring to.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2012, 10:00:29 PM by duppy »

Maggot

I'm not too great and jumping, but the 2nd jump (water jump) on the 'B' route kind of bugs me.  Where you start the jump, I think it's a little too easy to get reset by touching the gray part of the floor.  In your next update, I'd appreciate it if you could maybe sink down that gray area 128 units or so, and maybe make that red area straight across instead of an 'L' shape.  Here's a screenshot of the area I'm talking about:

+++image was here +++

In general, I think a lot of jumps could use some more lighting as well, including that water jump I mentioned.  Great map though; I hope you continue improving this one and making more in the future.

Edit: forgot to mention...this is jump_4starters_a5 map I'm referring to.

thanks for the feedback, ill see what i can do about sinking the grey down a bit

about the lighting: i've not had any complains up to now about the map being too dark, and i play on a pretty dark configuration myself, and haven't had any trouble... so... idk... probably not changing that - would be combined with a whole lot of tedious backtracking work... yea...
sry about that i guess

if it really bugs you to the point that you can not jump at all, theres always 'mat_fullbright 1' (on chillout this works, and on a private server you'd have to put sv_cheats to 1... i think it doesn't work on jumpIT though... not sure 'bout that... yea)

thanks for playing the map and commenting, i really enjoy it when people like play and like what i make :)

also, thanks for going through the trouble of making a screenshot and highlighting the area in question - helps a ton ;)

on a sidenote: done with 8 of the 12 new jumps, im hoping to finish the new version soon :)

Offline  Swi1ch
Maggot

Could someone possibly make a video run of this map? As a beginner sometimes it's more difficult working out how you're meant to do the jumps than the actual execution.

For example, I have no idea how to do the water jump. I either jump off of the floor or wall, then off the wall again, then hold jump to move across the water and try and jump the ramp there, but can just never seem to gain enough speed.

Offline  Diddy
Rocketeer

You're doing it right, just not well enough.

some people just shouldnt be aloud to have internet accesss

Maggot

Could someone possibly make a video run of this map? As a beginner sometimes it's more difficult working out how you're meant to do the jumps than the actual execution.

For example, I have no idea how to do the water jump. I either jump off of the floor or wall, then off the wall again, then hold jump to move across the water and try and jump the ramp there, but can just never seem to gain enough speed.

hmmm... that could in fact help... but it takes time to make such a video - and most of the time its a lot easier to just ask other people if they can show you...

well... on a related note: i thought about putting brief descriptions on each jump of a and b - on c you should be good enough to figure something out on your own

something along the line of:
go from the ground, then shoot the wall 2 times, in the water just shoot a rocket below you - you wanna focus on getting enough speed of the first 3 rockets - the push from the water works on its own as long as your fast enough
for the jump you described...

but: putting huge readable texts in the map looks awful, so i haven't done it up to now, and: nobody actually reads those things - there are a lot of maps that have hints, for example beef, where you can walk on the cow and it tells you what to do, but nobody ever looks at em, so its kinda a waste of time...

another idea, one i found much more appealing, was to put easy to understand signs on the jumps - something along the line of the portal/portal2 hazard signs on each course, showing in pictures what has to be done...

but: that's actually a whole lot more work, than making new jumps or completely reworking the lighting on the whole map - so that is gonna take a ton of time, but at least its gonna fit the artstyle more than just stupid plain text...

If any one is interested in me putting that in, pls comment and tell me to - i would love some feedback regarding this, because its been bugging me for quite some time now, mainly because of everyone cheating the huge double on a with !ammo - and making the long shots with a pogo instead of trying to get the distance right...
but i need to know what everyone thinks, because im only gonna implement this if i get enough feedback to do so - i really do not want to put lots of effort into something nobody wants...

thanks in advance

-----------------------------------------------

oh, and one last thing:
i hope to finish with a8 until friday evening, european timezone.... so today - got one more jump to do and lighting to take care of.
so... yea... hopefully today, if everything goes according to plan - if it doesn't then sunday is my self set deadline, so its finished by then, and if its not i probably died in a stupid accident involving a jet turbine and a coke bottle... ;)

laters
« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 01:02:13 AM by Blind Girl »

Offline  Diddy
Rocketeer

It doesn't really take long to make a video, most of it is just spent recording it.  Can easily put it together in ~15 minutes, recording the footage just takes a while.  I prefer to wait until the map is finished though, or at least not in alpha/beta anymore.

some people just shouldnt be aloud to have internet accesss

Maggot

It doesn't really take long to make a video, most of it is just spent recording it.  Can easily put it together in ~15 minutes, recording the footage just takes a while.  I prefer to wait until the map is finished though, or at least not in alpha/beta anymore.

that might actually take a while... im at like 30 percent vertex limit now, and hope to max it out over time - hopefully im not reaching max light data first - but ill take care of that when i get there

so right now this is kinda considered an eternal work in progress by me... i even already got ideas for an e course :P

so if you wanna help noobs by putting this up, do it for first and second because like i said, when they reach third they should be good enough to figure stuff out themselves.

what else?
oh right... i would be honored if any one made a vid of this map - im gonna go back to mapping and finishing stuff now
laters :)

Offline  tordana
Rocketeer

I like this map, and may make a video of it. Working on one of sexydev first.

However, one thing you should probably change -- there's one jump in the B course that is supposed to be two speedshots in a row. However, I find it much easier to cheat that jump by doing only one speedshot to get onto the second platform, then from there doing a jump and a shot off the ceiling to get to the end. If that's not intended you should make rockets clip through the ceiling (though I might not be able to beat that course anymore. :P I find all of course C easier than that jump the real way...)

Maggot

I like this map, and may make a video of it. Working on one of sexydev first.

However, one thing you should probably change -- there's one jump in the B course that is supposed to be two speedshots in a row. However, I find it much easier to cheat that jump by doing only one speedshot to get onto the second platform, then from there doing a jump and a shot off the ceiling to get to the end. If that's not intended you should make rockets clip through the ceiling (though I might not be able to beat that course anymore. :P I find all of course C easier than that jump the real way...)

yea, already fixed that, the second speedshot is a ramp now, was gonna be done in the new version anyway
if you are gonna make a vid: thank you so much for it
and thanks for liking the map ;)

laters

Maggot

harhar, after working hard for several days, i may now humbly present to you 4starters_a8
for the link pls look at the first post again

laters

Rocketman

harhar, after working hard for several days, i may now humbly present to you 4starters_a8
for the link pls look at the first post again

laters

Gonna need to try and finish course D when I get the chance  :D

I spent a little bit on it before going to bed (I'll admit, I noclipped to a few jumps because they looked cool as shit) doing what I could, and noticed a few things about some of the jumps in D.

Apologies for steamshots, didn't really feel like uploading somewhere. I'll try not to spoil jumps in the descriptions.

1: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197977447137/screenshot/451722154152204077

You can stand on top of this doorway, then just fall towards the goal and skip with one rocket. Eliminates the challenge.

2: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197977447137/screenshot/451722154152212928/?

You can use ramp physics to completely stop on this, then just aim well and push off to the end.  I find the hardest part of the jump to be getting the best angle and speed round that corner, which stopping here cuts.

3: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197977447137/screenshot/451722154152220819/?

Not completely sure if un-intended, but you can be slightly off the white wall and still use it to keep upward momentum, sort of like that one on course 2 of beef.  Again though, that may be how you want it, I'm not sure.

7a: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197977447137/screenshot/451722154152293132/?

Are these walls supposed to be usable for final bits of speed, or should it all be done in one triple?

7b: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197977447137/screenshot/451722154152313623/?

Same as the ramp on D2, you can use ramp physics to just stop here and quickly gain speed to get to the end.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9
« previous next »

spirit Powered by SMF 2.0 RC5 | SMF © 2006–2011, Simple Machines LLC