Forums

Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Sliding or surfing or umm....  (Read 1182 times)
Maggot

BEEP BOOP SON!
hello,
i have been wondering what it is called when you slide along the ground when jumping. What is it called, and is there any toutorials on doing it, cause wheni try i just stick to the surface (like the rooves in harvest)
Thanks!

---------------------------
I am a pineapple in real life.

Offline  X_DIAS
Rocketman

The world is a cube
slide
hit it with enough speed
that's it

Offline  HBC
Maggot

awk
depends on the angle too, better results with increasingly horizontal angles of collision

Soldier

sliding depends from angle, speed and surface that means a double sticky jump is more succesfull then a normal sticky jump. most surface where you can slide are stairs and little hills.
the angle is maybe the most important thing for sliding. i never slided if i jumped in a curve (up and then down).
try this: go badlands make yourself infinity health and then go to stonebridge put 2 stickys above the line by the door and face the zone below the jumppad. dont hold w in air and you will slide if you get right to the mid point :)
funny slide but useless for competitive :(

Rocketman

No tears now; only dreams
You can slide on any floor that isn't completely horizontal, as long as you have enough horizontal speed yourself when you hit the ramp. It won't work if you get too much vertical height and land on it instead of having horizontal speed. Just try to go into a ramp horizontally and avoid landing on it from above.

and there isn't really a term for it, I guess "sliding" is good enough :)

Fly

Does anyone know what velocity is required?  Basically the break point.

Also does duck or jump have to be held?

/thanks in advance.

Soldier

Does anyone know what velocity is required?  Basically the break point.

Also does duck or jump have to be held?

/thanks in advance.

Not sure on a velocity, it really depends on your angle of approach and the angle of the surface but yes you do need to hold duck/crouch. I'm pretty sure you don't press w or s either, but someone will correct me on that

Offline  Raiin
Soldier

Kangaroo-izzle
Apparently, I'm a robot.
Why would knowing the exact velocity help? That would require ALL ramps to be of a specific angle as the lower the angle the harder it is to slide and more speed is required. At the same time though there is an angle at which ramp slides become impossible.

The be all, end all rule: GO AS FAST AS YOU CAN.

Jump does nothing once you're in the air, serves 0 purpose unless standing.
Crouch...I don't know but it would be easy to test, I'm sure you could test it by yourself.

Rocketeer

the skybox is the limit
GOTTA GO FAST

Offline  CrancK
Rocketeer

ehh... what?
dude...
depending on the incoming angle and the angle of the slope, 700 u/s is minimum needed, (700 being purely forward motion, cl_showpos shows you combined speed so you need more then 700 if you're looking at that one)

max needed for really odd incoming vs slope angles seems to be round 1000-1100 u/s anything faster then that should always work, unless you are really fucking up angles

also about those angles, preferably you'd come in at about a 10-20degree difference from the slope, cos if you line up exactly with the slope angle you sometimes just stop (same as with having greater angle then slope, tho sometimes does work), and ofc the closer you get to 90degree offset the harder it is to actually get sliding

also.... you cant slide downhill (afaik)

and ofc any slope with more then 45degree angle = automatic slide, cos you cant stand on those

ps: minimum slope angle seems to be non-existent with a but.... the lower the slope angle the faster you need to go + you need to come in more precisely at the 10-20degree offset mark, or itll just stop you

thats mostly due to... ehm.... well basically the game determines wether your standing, by looking below your feet just a little bit, before your speed is adjusted for, which is why you can slide... ehm... hmm.. disregard this bit... i cant explain it in easy terms while still being 100% accurate i guess (if you would want a full explanation.. steammessage me.. cos itll take 100s upon 100s of words to properly explain)

lastly... as for standing instead of crouching, makes no difference to the possibility of sliding, except that if you stand your legs are lower then if you crouch, thus you hit the ground earlier + the old bug of tfc sliding, where you had to crouch when getting off a slide... kindoff still applies in tf2, but.... rarely.. only on slopes that have really small angles, youll prolly never encounter it.. cos if you do, its a slope where its superhard to slide on anyway
« Last Edit: October 30, 2012, 09:32:41 AM by CrancK »

Pages: [1]
« previous next »

spirit Powered by SMF 2.0 RC5 | SMF © 2006–2011, Simple Machines LLC