Forums

Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: jump_glow  (Read 4328 times)
Rocketman

No tears now; only dreams
Jump_glow_v4: http://www.mediafire.com/?s971yt8pnq54elz

old stuff in spoiler
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 20, 2012, 06:03:46 PM by Afterglow »

---------------------------

Offline  CrancK
Rocketeer

ehh... what?
dude...
oh wow, download = 13.37 mb ^^, n1c3

will check it later today

Rocketeer

i dont care!
i hope there are so glow in the map !  :P

Offline  Matti
Fly

soar_a4 is out!
Haven't had a chance to play it yet, but I'll update this once I have.
As for now, I hope I can help with a few of these things.

2) The number decals are temporary. They look really shitty if you look closely even though in hammer they look great. What's the way to get numbers to not look so bad? And how do you rotate/resize decals ffs.

3) Jump 11 is buggy. Probably from hollowing out a cylinder. I've noticed hollowing spheres and arches does not work whatsoever. Might have to remake it, but maybe there's an easy fix?

4) Kinda specific question but how the heck do you get light_spot's hard falloff to work properly? You'll notice on jump 5 and 11 that the light_spots over the glass blocks hit the floor, which I find to be ugly. I want it to shine on just the glass blocks but not the floor. Been tampering with the parameters in light_spots options but I can't get it right.

5) Jump 8's torches are not lit. I can't get env_fire to work, which I've researched and discovered it does not work in tf2. Any alternative to making fire?

6) In rare cases you die on jump 13. This leads me to believe you'll die doing triples on occasion. Is there a way to prevent this? And if not, perhaps a way to spawn a person on the same jump so they don't respawn at the beginning of the map.

2. There are a few reasons why decals might look shitty so I'll wait to play before commenting.
As for rotating and resizing them, what you're looking for is the overlay tool. The main thing with number overlays is when resizing them try to keep the length to width ratio the same, so that the texture doesn't become stretched or sqaushed. You can toggle a grid over brushes in whatever 3-D views you're using (button 2nd from the left on the top bar iirc) so that it is easier to keep parallel sides the same length.

3. Angled surfaces tend to cause issues in source with regard to collisions (i.e. the player getting stuck). There's also an issue where, despite vertexes being aligned, the player can still collide with them, which throws the player away from the wall. The best solution I've come up with for this is to create clips inbetween each of the brush joinings that slightly clip into the two cylinder's brushes that create the join. It's not particularly elegant or perfect but it's certainly functional enough for the jump to be enjoyable imo.
I can post some pictures later if you want if it isn't very clear what I mean.

5. No idea :D. Never used hard fall off, I've always assumed it would work correctly. I may look into it sometime after Sunday once the Collab submission time is over. For now, a quick fix may be putting in a brush texture with tools/blocklight 64ish units above the floor or texturing the floor with tools/black which means it won't be lit at all (not sure how dark you want it).

6. There are 6 fire particles in tf2 that may work, which you can put in your map using the info_particle_system entity. The names of each of the particle effects are in the link below. The main downside to this method is that they can't be resized without going into the particle editor, and I can't help you much there. Another way of making torch fire is to combine an env_sprite, env_smokestack and a light entity (the way it was done in cp_egypt) which is also covered on the wiki.

https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/TF2/Creating_fire

Rocketman

Okay so I didn't realize compiling with HDR made everything super bright, so the map looks kinda weird. Edited the OP with the map without HDR. Please download that version. Turns out it got downsized to 7mb after that :O

Also another thing, how do you prevent the game from ending when you capture the cap point?

Maggot

Didn't play the map yet only noclipped trough.

2) The number decals are temporary. They look really shitty if you look closely even though in hammer they look great. What's the way to get numbers to not look so bad? And how do you rotate/resize decals ffs.

Use the overlay tool (shift + O).

4) Kinda specific question but how the heck do you get light_spot's hard falloff to work properly? You'll notice on jump 5 and 11 that the light_spots over the glass blocks hit the floor, which I find to be ugly. I want it to shine on just the glass blocks but not the floor. Been tampering with the parameters in light_spots options but I can't get it right.

Set "hard falloff" to 1 / true, "0 percent falloff distance" to the distance between the light_spot and the glass (maybe a little more) and you have to give "50 percent falloff distance" some value or it won't work.
I'm not 100% sure on this one but I can send you some example if it doesn't work.

7) Any other feedback. A confusing jump? Problems with the textures/skybox? Nothing is permanent at this point, so any criticism/advice would be appreciated.

Missing texture see attachment.

Edit: I just realized this pink/black texture doesn't mean the texture is missing but something is wrong with it (custom texture?).
« Last Edit: April 27, 2012, 11:27:17 AM by KINQ Wolny »

Rocketman

Edit: I just realized this pink/black texture doesn't mean the texture is missing but something is wrong with it (custom texture?).

Ah yea it's a custom texture. It's supposed to be a waterfall.

Don't tell me I can't have custom textures :O If it's not a waterfall idk what I'll make it.

Offline  Klanana
Rocketman

iT! Servers Owner
Team Spec Extraordinaire
Do you want me to wait to upload this to jump it until you fix the couple of kinks people are talking about? Since its its not an alpha version or anything i want to put up the best version of the map youre releasing - just let me know!

Jump iT - 64.74.97.15:27015 | JuJump iT - 74.91.113.66:27015 | Surf iT - 216.52.143.76:27015
Bball iT - 74.91.113.9:27015 | MGE iT - 74.91.122.39:27015

Rocketman

Yea don't put this on a server. It's missing the hard course and it only has a single spawn point on it anyways.

Offline  Klanana
Rocketman

iT! Servers Owner
Team Spec Extraordinaire
Haha alright I typically add all the maps posted unless people say not to put it on a server yet so just let me know!

Jump iT - 64.74.97.15:27015 | JuJump iT - 74.91.113.66:27015 | Surf iT - 216.52.143.76:27015
Bball iT - 74.91.113.9:27015 | MGE iT - 74.91.122.39:27015

Maggot

Ah yea it's a custom texture. It's supposed to be a waterfall.

Don't tell me I can't have custom textures :O If it's not a waterfall idk what I'll make it.

You can use custom textures but you need to add them to your map-file. Try Pakrat https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Pakrat.

I did some example map for the hard falloff light
http://www60.zippyshare.com/v/77215639/file.html.

Offline  X_DIAS
Rocketman

The world is a cube
i didn't noticed that cause i actually have that custom texture

just do how wolny said, use pakrat to pack the custom textures
open, browse the map, then autoscan and then save it as .bsp replacing the old one

btw, took me a while to figure out the last jump, but i like it a lot^^

Rocketman

Fixed some stuff, thanks for the replies!

btw, took me a while to figure out the last jump, but i like it a lot^^

Yeah ha I had a hunch it would confuse people. It's my fave jump too... get to soar above the peasants down below.

Offline  Matti
Fly

soar_a4 is out!
Also another thing, how do you prevent the game from ending when you capture the cap point?

On your team_control_point_master, 6th option down "Restrict team from winning".

Just played that map and it was pretty fun. A couple of issues though:

- The tunnel that jump 12 starts with is pretty dark. Not sure if that's intentional seeing as the rest of the map is fairly liberally lit but, even if it is, I'd still suggest raising the lights' brightnesses (4th value of the lights colour property) somewhat.
- Jump 10 can be beaten by just jumping up to the top platform then rocket jumping off the wall and doing a decent skip to the end.
- Jump 5 seems out of place difficulty wise. The first pogo platform is almost too far to just jump to (without rockets) and the end of the jump seems too far away.
- On a similar note, I'd say jump 6 is a bit too hard for where it is (though not as bad as 5). Here I'd suggest just increasing the size of the pogo burshes uniformly by around 8-16 units. I also failed the jump once because of hitting the roofclip/skybox so that might be worth raiseing.

Aside from these technical issue, I didn't think 8 was a good jump. Kinda boring, with a large punishment for failure which I can imagine causeing fustration if someone gets stuck here. That or they'll just bypass this issue with the teleport plug-in.

Rocketman

Just played that map and it was pretty fun. A couple of issues though:

- The tunnel that jump 12 starts with is pretty dark. Not sure if that's intentional seeing as the rest of the map is fairly liberally lit but, even if it is, I'd still suggest raising the lights' brightnesses (4th value of the lights colour property) somewhat.
- Jump 10 can be beaten by just jumping up to the top platform then rocket jumping off the wall and doing a decent skip to the end.
- Jump 5 seems out of place difficulty wise. The first pogo platform is almost too far to just jump to (without rockets) and the end of the jump seems too far away.
- On a similar note, I'd say jump 6 is a bit too hard for where it is (though not as bad as 5). Here I'd suggest just increasing the size of the pogo burshes uniformly by around 8-16 units. I also failed the jump once because of hitting the roofclip/skybox so that might be worth raiseing.

Aside from these technical issue, I didn't think 8 was a good jump. Kinda boring, with a large punishment for failure which I can imagine causeing fustration if someone gets stuck here. That or they'll just bypass this issue with the teleport plug-in.

- Yea I'll raise the lights' brightness for jump 12
- I'll just make the walls a player clip, so you can't shoot on them. The intended way to beat it is a speedshot off the top wooden platform.
- Are jump 5 & 6 rly that hard? And yea you're not meant to jump out to the first platform on jump 5 (you rj on the floor standing up w/o jumping). I was under the impression that they were ezpz, but I'll put them in later in the jump ordering anyways. I don't think I'll change the block sizes or the jumps themselves tbh, since if I make them easier, they'll simply be way too easy. As it is I can do them on my first try every single time.

And about jump 8, I don't think I'll take it out since I've already made it, but I do see what you mean by how it can be abused with the teleport plugin. And the large punishment for failure is necessary otherwise it's too easy. You can actually skip two sections (so you end up in between the blue/green walls in two rj's), so difficulty wise it's not hard.

Pages: [1] 2 3
« previous next »

spirit Powered by SMF 2.0 RC5 | SMF © 2006–2011, Simple Machines LLC