Forums

Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: My first map  (Read 1759 times)
Offline  Exile
Rocketeer

Couldn't think of something clever to put
After a few days of making this map, I can say that is is done for the most part. Still may be a few leaks that i'll fix eventually and maybe even add some challenge jumps. If you find a very big leak or problem in the map let me know and I'll try to fix it, but other than that I don't think I'll be working on it much anymore. Glad to call this my first map ever.

Latest Version: http://www.mediafire.com/?uhi05pu4igu1ruc

Details
-Made it only for blu team (red team spawns in a crappy box I threw together).
-Gets increasingly difficult.
-First few jumps are intended for learns and about 10 jumps in is where it may get hard for beginners
-Finally a skybox

Jump_Exile_v1

Feedback appreciated.   
« Last Edit: April 07, 2012, 06:54:51 PM by Exile »

---------------------------
@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Soldier

Some solid beginner jumps there. Nothing to hard and a good basic variety of skills needed.

Couple of things to look into:

You need some trigger_hurt and regen ents.  - trigger hurt imo is a must for the whole map unless your aim is to restrict the player in a jump by how much damage they can take. This is something that ticks (as in give you health) every half second? (its more often than regen spam)

Regen is needed for more ammo. You can set these up for covering the whole map (good for when you test/dont care how much ammo players have) or restricting how many rockets they should have loaded (overall ammo doesnt matter in the long run), etc

Also you have a leak. Im to lazy to type out how to find/fix leaks. Drexen may have covered that in one of his written tut's. Either that our just search on youtube.

Not sure if your tp zones are a water brush or not but you get the nodraw/leak look when looking at them. - if you compiled without vis your water wont render (either that or rad, i get them backwards)

Overall a good start and welcome to the wonderful world of mapping :D

Offline  Exile
Rocketeer

Thanks for the feedback. I was planning on learning how to add the regen tomorrow along with a lot of other things. I fixed the leaks but I would like to learn how to prevent them anyhow. Also I'm pretty sure i'm making the  teleports for the jumps wrong, the block that teleports you doesn't appear when I go to test the map, so I've been putting another block under it so it doesn't show leaks. If you know how to do it properly could you help me with it?

@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Offline  Drexen
Rocketeer

Read my tutorials about hurts/regens/leaks etc.

After playing it, yeah the maps is unplayable without atleast regens, theres no way to get more health/ammo without cheats. Fullbright maps are never very nice also, so might want to add in some lights. Jumps are also basic, but thats not a problem really.

Nice to see another person starting to make jump maps though.

Oh one other problem, your info_teleport_destinations should be 2/4 units above the ground, or when you get teleported you are stuck there for a moment. very annoying.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2012, 04:49:29 AM by Drexen »

Offline  Wolsk
Rocketeer

i love you
The block that teleports you is not supposed to be the actual block.
The part that teleports you is a tiny trigger right above the floor.
The trigger is what you set as a func_tele or whatever it's called.

klanana:  I DID NOT EAT THE CAT
dellort: This mod is pretty cool, just wish the devs would fix the bug that allows MIKE to play on it.

Offline  Klanana
Rocketman

iT! Servers Owner
Team Spec Extraordinaire
Should this be going up on jump it? Or wait for a more finished version...

Jump iT - 64.74.97.15:27015 | JuJump iT - 74.91.113.66:27015 | Surf iT - 216.52.143.76:27015
Bball iT - 74.91.113.9:27015 | MGE iT - 74.91.122.39:27015

Offline  Exile
Rocketeer

Read my tutorials about hurts/regens/leaks etc.

After playing it, yeah the maps is unplayable without atleast regens, theres no way to get more health/ammo without cheats. Fullbright maps are never very nice also, so might want to add in some lights. Jumps are also basic, but thats not a problem really.

Nice to see another person starting to make jump maps though.

Oh one other problem, your info_teleport_destinations should be 2/4 units above the ground, or when you get teleported you are stuck there for a moment. very annoying.

Will do. I should get that done today and I'll be looking into your guides for sure. Thanks for the help.

The block that teleports you is not supposed to be the actual block.
The part that teleports you is a tiny trigger right above the floor.
The trigger is what you set as a func_tele or whatever it's called.
I think I should be able to get it correctly soon enough.
Should this be going up on jump it? Or wait for a more finished version...
I don't think you want to put my broken map on your server lol. I still have alot of work to do.

@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Offline  Exile
Rocketeer

Fixed up a few things, added a short 3rd course, and wasn't too sure about the lighting though. This map should take a minute or two at the most. Updated the OP with the new DL link, but here it is again:
http://www.mediafire.com/?ataalzzug15n17e
« Last Edit: March 31, 2012, 08:11:07 PM by Exile »

@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Offline  sync
Maggot

Nice map, you still need to fix some leaks and add hurts (http://forums.tf2jump.com/index.php?topic=499.0).

Offline  Exile
Rocketeer

I added hurts like requested and another small course.

http://www.mediafire.com/?ee2cerh4fv5cfd6

@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Soldier

i over use smiley faces...problem? *trollface*
this is a good map and its very nice looking :D keep it up

it also inspired me to carry on (or probably start again) my map.

Offline  Exile
Rocketeer

Thanks for the positive feedback. You should work on your map too, all the cool kids are doing it nowadays.

And here is another update:

-added 8 new jumps for the "Advanced" course. (Red Team)
-a better looking map (I hope)
http://www.mediafire.com/?wwoaqg981w0p9y9
« Last Edit: April 02, 2012, 10:24:29 PM by Exile »

@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Offline  duppy
Fly

There's still a few leaks.  While in-game, in the developer console, type gl_clear_randomcolor  1 and you'll see flashing rainbow colors where your leak is.  Another way is to load up Hammer and go to the menu Map>Load Point File, which will draw a red line where your leak is.  Lastly, I would look into adding a sky box...it's the easiest way to add lighting without having to place light entities all over.

Offline  Exile
Rocketeer

I'll look into the leaks slowly over time but for now I'm done. I need to take a break from this.

Also changed the texture to make it look pretteh

http://www.mediafire.com/?cg2ms24wa2tr8o4

@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Rocketeer

i dont care!
dl link dont work ?

Pages: [1] 2
« previous next »

spirit Powered by SMF 2.0 RC5 | SMF © 2006–2011, Simple Machines LLC