Forums

Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Jump Mapping - 4 - Teleports, regens and hurts  (Read 1078 times)
Offline  Drexen
Rocketeer

1 - Teleports

Every jump map needs a teleport (except colour_jumper_rocket since I didn't know how). I've gone and made a small room with a pit in it for this example. A teleport requires two things. First is a destination and the other is a brush entity.

First thing to make is a block, which will when touched, teleport the player. Next thing to do is give it a specific texture. Type tools/tools into the texture browser and there should be one that's orange and has 'Trigger' written on it. Apply it to the teleport block.

This is how my level is looking at the minute.

Next thing to do is to turn this block into a brush entity. Select it, and press CTRL + T. Now press ALT + ENTER to bring up its properties. The desired class for this entity is a trigger_teleport, so go ahead and change it to one, remember to press apply until its actually changed.

For now, you can close the properties window, we'll come back to this in a minute. Now we need a point entity (like the spawn point) to act as a destination for the teleport. Create an entity in the usual way by selecting the tool from the left hand side menu and clicking on the floor. Press ALT + ENTER to get up its properties and change its class to an info_teleport_destination. Remember to move it to its 4 units off the ground, or the player can get stuck in the floor for a few moments.

One thing we have to do is give this destination entity a name. So where it says Name: select it, and on the right side of the window type in for example 'des1'.

Remember as always to press apply a few times to make sure it actually sets these values. One thing you may notice is that the green man is facing the wrong way. To rotate him, press CTRL + M to bring up the transformation window. Make sure mode is set to rotate, then for me I want to set Z: to 90. Now when I press OK, he is facing towards the teleport pit again.

Last thing to do is to hook up the brush entity with the point entity. Go ahead and select the trigger_teleport and bring up its properties. Select remote destination, and type in the name you gave to the teleport destination entity. Remember, there is no need to give the trigger_teleport a name, oh, and give apply a quick button bash.
img: teleport_setup
One other really important thing to do is to set up what it is we actually want to teleport. To do this, select the Flags tab, and make sure Clients is ticked.

Now go ahead and compile and try it out. It should be working if you followed the steps outlined correctly.

2 - Ammo regeneration

Another important thing in a jump map is ammo regeneration. To do this, we're going to need another brush entity. Whenever the player is touching this brush (oh, if I haven't mentioned already a brush is the same as a block), he will regain ammo. So go ahead and make a block, and give it the trigger texture. Next thing to do is to select it, and press CTRL + T to make it a brush entity, now next to class we are wanting a func_regenerate. P.S. that's it done.

One other thing, a func_regenrate is what a resupply locker uses, so it will also regenerate the players health, but slowly (it also makes a really annoying noise but there's a way to prevent it, I think jump servers use my method as default for all maps).

3 - Trigger hurts (it's a good thing trust me)

All jump maps should also use a trigger_hurt to regenerate players health quickly. For demo pogos only using a func_regenerate isn't enough to keep them alive. To make a trigger_hurt, first make another block with the trigger texture, then press CTRL + T to make it a brush entity. As for its class, set it to a trigger_hurt and edit the values as shown here.

And thats it for a trigger_hurt. -2000 health regeneration every half a second or so.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2011, 06:00:53 AM by Drexen »

Pages: [1]
« previous next »

spirit Powered by SMF 2.0 RC5 | SMF © 2006–2011, Simple Machines LLC