Forums

Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Why aren't there more mirrored maps?  (Read 1552 times)
Maggot

It seems like a simple way to increase the number of jumps that exists. Take a map and flip it so right > left and left > right. Adventure does this but for some reason the server locks players into red =\

I realize the differences might be minimal, but I think it would help close the proficiency gap between jumpers left wallshots and their right wallshots. Also, it could be somewhat refreshing. 

Would this be an easy thing for mapmakers to do?

Offline  Wolsk
Rocketeer

i love you
I think more maps should have the possibility of playing it backwards. C:

---------------------------

klanana:  I DID NOT EAT THE CAT
dellort: This mod is pretty cool, just wish the devs would fix the bug that allows MIKE to play on it.

Soldier

Very carefully
adventure locks to red because of tele glitches on the map and the fact that the timers are on the red side

Offline  Raiin
Soldier

Kangaroo-izzle
Apparently, I'm a robot.
Mirroring a map is done in about....5 seconds. highlight all - tools - flip objects horizontal or vertical.
Honestly though, there is nothing stopping you from using the left wall on 80% of maps, your choice to do so most of the time.
No need to flip a map if that's the case. adventure you can do almost all of those jumps with left walls only be it red or blue.

This method of mirroring a map will swap left walls to right walls as opposed to just rotating the entire map.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2012, 08:10:52 AM by Raiin »

Offline  X_DIAS
Rocketman

The world is a cube
I think more maps should have the possibility of playing it backwards. C:

jump_demolition has it and NOONE ever used it

Fly

2Tired2Pogo
Wait so is there something in hammer that u can select to play it backwards? I know in tfc you there are a few maps where u can choose to play it backwards or forward using the team select. I'm not sure if that is possible in tf2, so what would u do for that? just have a door or something that leads to a mirrored version of the map?

Offline  X_DIAS
Rocketman

The world is a cube
Wait so is there something in hammer that u can select to play it backwards? I know in tfc you there are a few maps where u can choose to play it backwards or forward using the team select. I'm not sure if that is possible in tf2, so what would u do for that? just have a door or something that leads to a mirrored version of the map?

Kinda......
You can just copy the map, and then swap the teleport destinations from the start of the jump to the end of it

Maggot

Mirroring a map is done in about....5 seconds. highlight all - tools - flip objects horizontal or vertical.
Honestly though, there is nothing stopping you from using the left wall on 80% of maps, your choice to do so most of the time.
No need to flip a map if that's the case. adventure you can do almost all of those jumps with left walls only be it red or blue.

This method of mirroring a map will swap left walls to right walls as opposed to just rotating the entire map.

Running jump maps while restricting myself to the left walls was what got me thinking about mirrored maps actually. And I agree, maps with mostly symmetrical jumps wouldn't benefit much from a mirror.

Take a map like aridia for example. It has jumps that would be quite different if mirrored (enough to justify a mirror imo) and only uses 1 team color. I would like to see aridia mirrored and have the alternate version run on the other team color.

*EDIT* Oh, and I should note that I mentioned adventure because it has a mirror in it, not because it's a good example of a map to mirror.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2012, 01:09:36 PM by beepbeepboop »

Soldier

I know in tfc you there are a few maps where u can choose to play it backwards or forward using the team select.

tfc/ff used lau scripts to handle that - when i converted a few conc/quad maps it took me a bit to realize  why there were so many tele's....

I would be possible to set it up for one team going forward and the other team going backward for tf2 using the same idea though (i think... its been awhile)

Fly

2Tired2Pogo
I know in tfc you there are a few maps where u can choose to play it backwards or forward using the team select.

tfc/ff used lau scripts to handle that - when i converted a few conc/quad maps it took me a bit to realize  why there were so many tele's....

I would be possible to set it up for one team going forward and the other team going backward for tf2 using the same idea though (i think... its been awhile)

Oh yeah that does sound like it would work that way. thanks.

Soldier

i over use smiley faces...problem? *trollface*
to make more jump possibilities you could make it so you have to communicate with another player. like in freedom jump movie where they shoot each other so they can get to platforms on there side of the map...if anyone knows what im talking about.

Offline  dellort
Rocketeer

Video Maker Extraordinaire
to make more jump possibilities you could make it so you have to communicate with another player. like in freedom jump movie where they shoot each other so they can get to platforms on there side of the map...if anyone knows what im talking about.

A better example would be trikz maps in Counter Strike in which players need to team up to complete jumps.

CSS Trikz Minecraft By Dimix

Offline  Diddy
Rocketeer

Wow those maps are fucking awesome.  We need maps like that.

some people just shouldnt be aloud to have internet accesss

Soldier

Besides the major griefing potential, how exactly do you think something like this would work in tf2?

Offline  Hadokk
Rocketeer

Bball Server Filler Upper
Okay
Co-op jumping, design jumps around having another solly helping out with rockets. It's not that hard to make.

Pages: [1] 2
« previous next »

spirit Powered by SMF 2.0 RC5 | SMF © 2006–2011, Simple Machines LLC