Forums

Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Beginner of wallpogo looking for guidance (with FAIL demo added)  (Read 1976 times)
Offline  dav
Maggot

Hi all pros,

I have just started jumping as soldier, and find myself totally incapable of doing wallpogo.

I've read posts like this http://forums.tf2jump.com/index.php?topic=312.0
and video like this http://youtu.be/oMwNOx8ulUI?hd=1

I tried starting at a corner I can climb very slowly but I can't manage to go down.
Whenever I tried to go down, I will drop down very quickly.

Would you please provide me some absolutely starting guide to begin learning wallpogo?
Is there any suggested map and location to practice it with?

Thanks a lot  :-*
« Last Edit: December 05, 2011, 08:56:13 AM by dav »

Offline  Diddy
Rocketeer

Really no way I could explain it perfectly, especially if I am unable to spectate you and tell you what you're doing wrong.  Took me a little while to get the hang of it, you just have to learn through practice what the angles are, when to tap D, sometimes to know when to change your firing rate, none of this I could really explain.  Maybe someone else could give you a little secret or something to make it easier, but for me it was just a general understanding of "center your aim on the wall to go down, look to the left a little to go up" and then pure practice. 

Also, since you said you had just started soldier jumping, it's really not necessary at all to learn wallpogo, especially if you're jumping just so you can be a better comp soldier, would be pretty much 100% useless in comp.  I would suggest starting out doing the simpler concepts, like walljumping, doubles/triples/speedpogo etc, then once you can actually make it to the wallpogo jumps on maps would be when you learn wallpogo.  The easiest wallpogo I can think of would probably be Jump_momentum, I think it's the 7th jump, but if you are really serious about learning wallpogo first you could also just go the adept course (course 3) on Jump_Adventure and wallpogo up and down that wall on the first/second jump.

Also #2, in case you didn;t know, if you are going into a wallclimb from a pogo you have to look abou 25 or so degrees to the left and tap D periodically to counter the fact that rockets shoot out from the right side of your gun. 

Example: Jump Quba course 1 jump 11
(couldn't get the specific time setting to work, just go to 53 seconds in the video)

Team Fortress 2 : jump_QuBA
« Last Edit: December 04, 2011, 10:03:57 PM by DiddyKong FTW »

---------------------------
some people just shouldnt be aloud to have internet accesss

Offline  Wolsk
Rocketeer

i love you
For going down, I would suggest using The Original.
You can aim straight at the wall rather than at an angle.

klanana:  I DID NOT EAT THE CAT
dellort: This mod is pretty cool, just wish the devs would fix the bug that allows MIKE to play on it.

Offline  dav
Maggot

Really no way I could explain it perfectly, especially if I am unable to spectate you and tell you what you're doing wrong.  Took me a little while to get the hang of it, you just have to learn through practice what the angles are, when to tap D, sometimes to know when to change your firing rate, none of this I could really explain.  Maybe someone else could give you a little secret or something to make it easier, but for me it was just a general understanding of "center your aim on the wall to go down, look to the left a little to go up" and then pure practice. 

Also, since you said you had just started soldier jumping, it's really not necessary at all to learn wallpogo, especially if you're jumping just so you can be a better comp soldier, would be pretty much 100% useless in comp.  I would suggest starting out doing the simpler concepts, like walljumping, doubles/triples/speedpogo etc, then once you can actually make it to the wallpogo jumps on maps would be when you learn wallpogo.  The easiest wallpogo I can think of would probably be Jump_momentum, I think it's the 7th jump, but if you are really serious about learning wallpogo first you could also just go the adept course (course 3) on Jump_Adventure and wallpogo up and down that wall on the first/second jump.

Also #2, in case you didn;t know, if you are going into a wallclimb from a pogo you have to look abou 25 or so degrees to the left and tap D periodically to counter the fact that rockets shoot out from the right side of your gun. 

Example: Jump Quba course 1 jump 11
(couldn't get the specific time setting to work, just go to 53 seconds in the video)

Team Fortress 2 : jump_QuBA

thanks diddy, i have watched your video on youtube  8)

I can do walljump and triples, I think I need wallpogo as I have reached jumps like these:
jump_littleman_v4 #19
jump_elysium #10

I think your "center your aim on the wall to go down, look to the left a little to go up" may help me start it out. I also don't know I have to change my firing rate... I think it's just like pogo where I hold M1

I'd absolutely like to become good in comp play but I enjoy so much in playing jump maps.  :P

Going to load up jump_adventure now and see what I can get  ;D

Offline  dav
Maggot

For going down, I would suggest using The Original.
You can aim straight at the wall rather than at an angle.

I think I will stick with the vanilla RL, and I should right?

Offline  Diddy
Rocketeer

On Elysium 10 you can just use the corner and switch back and forth on the wall then pogo over to the other wall.  I suggested momentum 7 because it doesn't allow you to pogo off the floor and you have to actually stop yourself on the wall, then climb up again.  When I said wallpogo was pretty advanced I meant the kind where you are forced to go up and down on a wall, so I figured you meant jumps like Momentum 7, Littleman b2, Ice b1 as soldier, stuff like that.  Corner/control on walls are certainly things you should learn as a beginner, lots of maps, even easier ones, have some form climbing/corner pogo.

Offline  dav
Maggot

On Elysium 10 you can just use the corner and switch back and forth on the wall then pogo over to the other wall.  I suggested momentum 7 because it doesn't allow you to pogo off the floor and you have to actually stop yourself on the wall, then climb up again.  When I said wallpogo was pretty advanced I meant the kind where you are forced to go up and down on a wall, so I figured you meant jumps like Momentum 7, Littleman b2, Ice b1 as soldier, stuff like that.  Corner/control on walls are certainly things you should learn as a beginner, lots of maps, even easier ones, have some form climbing/corner pogo.

let me practice along the corner first, thx diddy  :-*

Offline  dav
Maggot

watched the video of elysium played by Lexer.. it looks so easy at #10 going down the wall.

after trying for half a day, I still have no clue in going down the corner slowly.
I either dropped very fast, pumped myself out of the wall, or suddenly went back upward.

maybe I will need a long long time to start getting the feeling  :(

EDIT:

uploaded a FAIL demo... is there anyone kind enough to help me take a look?
I have totally no idea of how to start...
http://www.sendspace.com/file/0t9mll
« Last Edit: December 05, 2011, 08:57:05 AM by dav »

Offline  dellort
Rocketeer

Video Maker Extraordinaire
sometimes to know when to change your firing rate,

I wouldn't recommend changing your firing rate, it only adds another unnecessary aspect to focus on. The key to wall pogo is the angle you fire at and which keys you tap and when. The angle isn't as precise as most people think, either. I'm able to look to the right while pogoing and still control the direction of the movement on the wall (much harder though).

Offline  Diddy
Rocketeer

I wouldn't recommend changing your firing rate, it only adds another unnecessary aspect to focus on. The key to wall pogo is the angle you fire at and which keys you tap and when. The angle isn't as precise as most people think, either. I'm able to look to the right while pogoing and still control the direction of the movement on the wall (much harder though).

I only do it when I need to start going down for 1 rocket at most to keep me from just climbing back up the wall again.  It seems to work for me as long as I don't deviate from only pausing for a single rocket.  It's nothing too substantial of a pause either, really it's just me letting go of mouse 1 for a fraction of a second before firing again.  I fall off the wall and fail more if I try to get the angle perfect to where I will descend anyways than if I do a short pause in my firing.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2011, 05:11:40 PM by DiddyKong FTW »

Offline  dav
Maggot

somehow i can manage to take like 10 shots down elysium #10 (occasionally), but i never succeed in landing with pogo... apparently more and more time is needed  :-[

Offline  Wolsk
Rocketeer

i love you
Elysium 10 is bad for practice because the walls are messed up.

klanana:  I DID NOT EAT THE CAT
dellort: This mod is pretty cool, just wish the devs would fix the bug that allows MIKE to play on it.

Offline  Diddy
Rocketeer

Isn't it fixed in the newest version though?

Offline  Drexen
Rocketeer

Isn't it fixed in the newest version though?

yes, its changed

Offline  House
Fly

A Doctor
as far as I know the first version of elysium was kept on the server, i guess it's a preference thing

the walls were all stick walls, yeah, i never really minded it because i got used to downpogoing but removing it was probably for the best, and it's definitely not ideal practice

if anything the best wallpogo practice i ever had was on facility's bonus, but that one jump in klanana works just as well

Pages: [1] 2
« previous next »

spirit Powered by SMF 2.0 RC5 | SMF © 2006–2011, Simple Machines LLC