Forums

Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Bungee Jump Game  (Read 1172 times)
Offline  CrancK
Rocketeer

ehh... what?
dude...
well, doesn't need to be quakestyle, just the unreal style of aircontrol probably doesnt work all to well with the bungee mechanic (unless you make it work nicely ^^)

---------------------------

Maggot

Added a bit of air control and some colors. Next Im going to be working on a UI so you can see tether length, tether rate, air control, and maybe some other values + a crosshair that will change colors depending on if the target is tetherable from your position or not.

Maggot

Sounds like a cool game id like to play. good luck. could you make a vid of your progress?

Offline  CrancK
Rocketeer

ehh... what?
dude...
Sean, got a version uploaded with them aircontrols?

Maggot

Uhh I could try to make a vid i guess. I might do it on the weekend. Ill upload a newer version in an hour or so, im going to add a keybind to increase / decrease air control amount + building takes a bit of time. As a warning the air control isnt the same as tf2 / quake engine. If you hold a direction it will go in that direction in the air. Turns out it was just a variable on the pawn object. Q / E may seem like it doesnt do anything, but it does modify retract rate by a bit. You can hit the button a bunch of times if you want to see significant changes. Ill try to implement a way to display the variable values soon.

for reference the keys will be:

Mouse 1: Fire grapple
Mouse 2: Retract
Mouse wheel up: Increase rope max length
Mouse wheel down: Decrease rope max length
Q: Increase retract rate
E: Decrease retract rate
1: Increase Air Control
2: Decrease Air Control
~: Console (type exit in here to quit)

Maggot

Sorry, took a while. Had to drop lighting quality a bit to build faster.

New Installer URL: http://www.filedropper.com/udkinstall-grappledemo

Fly

((|Crayola|(>
Is this still a thing? I would love to try it out but the download links just bring me to the homepage :p

Tic's previously owned dog

Maggot

Yeah file dropper links only last 5 days. I can give you a new link if you want. Im not planning on doing much work for this anymore because I just found out someones already making the game I was thinking of and its way farther ahead / better than what I have. You can check out what I was going for at: http://www.happionlabs.com/energy-hook/

The link to my version is:
http://www.filedropper.com/udkinstall-grappledemo

Ill probably mess around with the game still since its also a learning experience for me though.

Offline  Derek
Maggot

Back in the day, I used to play a game called Weapons Factory (mod for Quake2 engine), which is essentially like Team Fortress capture the flag, but half the classes also had grappling hooks.  If your game (tf2 mod?) brought anything like that to TF2 I'd be in heaven :P

With grappling hook you could build up some pretty amazing speed...and if you hit a ramp (like a 45 degree slope) with that speed you'd do a ramp slide and fly real far.  Also, we had bunny hopping (hold W+A or D, and jump) that allowed you to move quicker than normal, so combined with the grappling hook you could get insane speeds....made the game really fast paced.

Here's a video of game play in Weapons Factory as the Marine class (like a tf2 soldier with grappling hook):

The video is pretty dark, and the guy playing isn't that great with the grapple, but you can at least see it in use.  There's no fancy physics, it just attaches to a surface and pulls you in a straight line...but still fun to use.

So anyway, what's the demo gonna be like?  Are you just gonna run a server, have us download the map and try it out?  Or can we try it out locally somehow?

The first game with grappling hooks (as far as I know) was Threewave CTF for QuakeWorld. A lot of mods have copied it since then.

Pages: 1 [2]
« previous next »

spirit Powered by SMF 2.0 RC5 | SMF © 2006–2011, Simple Machines LLC