Forums

Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Bungee Jump Game  (Read 1171 times)
Maggot

Hey, its been a while since I've done jumping (and am now terrible at it) but I have been working on a game in my free time that is inspired by the time I spent jumping and it is nearing a testable state. Its supposed to be a grappling hook type mechanic similar to the spy bungee and have finally got the physics somewhere near where I want it to be. Ill be working on a demo map over the weekend and was wondering if anyone with a reasonably good computer wanted to try it out to gauge playability amongst some other things. Im mostly concerned with how it "feels" as I havnt done anything with the UI yet.

Offline  X_DIAS
Rocketman

The world is a cube
you know bungee comes from counter strike, right?

Maggot

Yeah, but I didnt play counter strike.

Offline  CrancK
Rocketeer

ehh... what?
dude...
i only have an okish pc, but would love to try it out  :-X

---------------------------

Offline  duppy
Fly

Back in the day, I used to play a game called Weapons Factory (mod for Quake2 engine), which is essentially like Team Fortress capture the flag, but half the classes also had grappling hooks.  If your game (tf2 mod?) brought anything like that to TF2 I'd be in heaven :P

With grappling hook you could build up some pretty amazing speed...and if you hit a ramp (like a 45 degree slope) with that speed you'd do a ramp slide and fly real far.  Also, we had bunny hopping (hold W+A or D, and jump) that allowed you to move quicker than normal, so combined with the grappling hook you could get insane speeds....made the game really fast paced.

Here's a video of game play in Weapons Factory as the Marine class (like a tf2 soldier with grappling hook):

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The video is pretty dark, and the guy playing isn't that great with the grapple, but you can at least see it in use.  There's no fancy physics, it just attaches to a surface and pulls you in a straight line...but still fun to use.

So anyway, what's the demo gonna be like?  Are you just gonna run a server, have us download the map and try it out?  Or can we try it out locally somehow?

Maggot

The game is made in UDK, so there will be an installer that you can run. To uninstall just delete  the folders it creates. Theres just going to be one map where you can play around with the game. Theres no real objective but in the future I plan on having some surfaces ungrapplable and making it similar to jump maps where the objective is to get to the end of increasingly difficult levels.

Offline  duppy
Fly

Ah, had my hopes for a TF2 mod :)  Now I'm starting to imagine something like Spiderman...web slinging from building to building, which would be a lot of fun...especially with some kind of trick jumping elements tied in.  Heh, anyway...how long before we can see something?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Maggot

Yeah itll be more like that but I am not sure what to do for trick jump elements. Currently its just grappling, no objectives yet. Im thinking since the grappling is a pretty easy to use mechanic I might have to focus on speed and like, small areas you have to pass through. I have a basic map im working on and it should be done by the end of the weekend. I guess I can try to finish it on saturday if you want to try it out earlier.

Offline  CrancK
Rocketeer

ehh... what?
dude...
Sean, make it so theres places you cant grapple and places you can, otherwise it'll be like spybungee in non-spymaps, where they can just bungee on everything taking the challenge out.

Also, does your bungee have a mechanic to increase momentum? or is it more focused on preserving the momentum gained from falling?

Maggot

Yeah I was planning on doing the different surface thing, currently Im just testing how the base mechanic plays out. Currently you can increase momentum by retracting the grapple, which is done by holding right mouse button. Left mouse button will attach the rope to whatever youre looking at. I also have mouse wheel scrolling to change the maximum length of the rope for testing. Once I find a good max distance I will probably disable that though, since an infinite length rope is way too easy.

Maggot

Offline  CrancK
Rocketeer

ehh... what?
dude...
oh god, i forgot how much of a fight you prolly have getting nice movement into an unreal engine..

Ok ehm, usefull commentary... ehmmm

-make the rope bend the other way, cos atm it bends toward the way im moving in, which looks way odd

-give ppl aircontrol (even though getting that proper is gonna be hell, at least basic so i can go round corners without the rope would be nice)

-make it more obvious when you are rolling in the rope, also some soundfile for the ground->stretch->jump thingy maybe? (i just did it out of habit from spybungee, happily surprised it works here aswell ^^)

-for the map, maybe some basic textures as in the "buildings" 1 texture, ground one other? that way its at least much easier to see distance/height/speed which atm is pretty hard to accurately gauge

-And lastly, imo, retracting to gain speed, possible to make nice, but atm its annoying as hell + if you want buildings this far apart/this big, the rope actually needs to be longer then it is now, cos it retracts in like a second or so (could also make retracting slower i guess, but then it gives even less speed :S)

So ye, lots of stuff needing improving i think, but hey good start :P

(but ye, untill theres some way to NOT always go directly toward the point you hooked on, it's pretty unplayable for me, i think thisll be fixed by adding some aircontrol, which can then counteract the force toward the hook point OR quite a bit longer ropes + small aircontrol, cos atm im just hitting buildings constantly, and i HAVE to roll in the rope, to get anything done, gravity + swinging seems to be useless, cos ill just swing into a building since i can hardly steer with buildings this far apart, so i also cant do spiderman zig-zag steering)

EDITL wooops, didnt read t hat i could lengthen it with scroll.. trying that now

EDIT2: hmm no.. that didnt really help, it was still mostly only possible to move around by rolling it in whenever i hook on to something, like if i hit m1, ill hit m2, cos otherwise itll only slow me down.
+its madness to actually steer it, with long ropes, yes you can spiderman zig-zag shoot, but even then, theres no real control over where you go besides, lets shoot that building then roll in... so ye.. still wanting aircontrol
« Last Edit: September 08, 2013, 03:10:37 AM by CrancK »

Maggot

Yeah air control isnt the easiest thing to do in the unreal engine. Im trying to just get the gameplay down right now, so aesthetics are pretty poor. Im not 100% sure what you mean by rolling the rope though. From the sound of it my main priority now should be adding air control?

Also, here are some useful commands:
Mouse 1: Fire grapple
Mouse 2: Retract
Mouse wheel up: Increase rope max length
Mouse wheel down: Decrease rope max length
Q: Increase retract rate
E: Decrease retract rate
~: Console (type exit in here to quit)

Soldier

played a bit now and i just can say what cranck already said getting air control to work would be really helpfull for the actual gameplay some different colors for the map would be nice too cuz its just hard to see how fast you are.
tested the length of the bungee too but could not get it smaller again.
q and e did nothing for me.

sometimes i noticed that i got backswinged although i wanted to go forward sometimes it happens randomly and sometimes if i try to use mouse2.
hope to see this game later again with some new stuff
keep the work going!
« Last Edit: September 08, 2013, 12:32:48 PM by derdotte »

Maggot

Hmm, alright ill work on getting quake style airstrafing into the game, make a diff ground texture (probably something similar to the dev textures in tf2), and then upload for another round of testing. Im pretty lazy so this could take weeks lol. Thanks for the feedback.

Pages: [1] 2
« previous next »

spirit Powered by SMF 2.0 RC5 | SMF © 2006–2011, Simple Machines LLC