Forums

Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Opinions on 'W' Strafing  (Read 811 times)
Offline  Krocket
Maggot

Easily Surpassed
My first 400 hours of this game was surf and jump maps so I became used to the normal way of strafing. But it would now seem that half my friends list w strafes. If you get very good at it it can be extremely hard to predict and airshot, but it's still not...right. What do you guys think? If they're good at it let them be? What prompts someone to start strafing that way anyways, seems unnatural. I even know a jumper who w strafes and does jump maps that way(I thought that was impossible). I don't think you can do surf maps w strafing but you're welcome to prove me wrong.

When I go to MGE or DM and someone starts w strafing it catches me so off guard. The way they have to do it changes their curve in a way that I have a hard time predicting(like they come at me backwards). I do w strafe but it's highly situational. Opinions?

---------------------------
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Maggot

Since you don't see where you're going it would be just gimmicky to do surf maps and jump maps like that, you might as well be surfing backwards if you want it to be absurdly hard, I don't see why it should be impossible though.

I do not play competitively but I imagine it could be quite useful for roamers when bombing a medic or something. Just like you said, you are less predictable that way AND you can follow a helix trajectory while facing inward.

Also, (I am not sure about this but) backwards ground speed is lower than sideways or forward speed in TF2 IIRC so strafing with S is less effective than any other key. Is this correct?
« Last Edit: June 14, 2013, 04:15:14 PM by FirstHenchman »

Offline  snufkin
Soldier

hurtme -9999999
I think for jumping it's pointless and it's a bad habit, but for competitive I guess it's always good to vary it.

Rocketeer

I even know a jumper who w strafes and does jump maps that way(I thought that was impossible).
I would love to see him do the strafe jump from annex blu number 5 (?), The one where you just have to strafe 180 degrees to the left.
I know they are harder to hit because they are harder to predict, but I can also imagine that it is harder for them to shoot in mid-air, since the don't go where they aim.

Soldier

Hi
W strafing can sometimes really fuck up ppl for hitting them airshots on ya

Hi

Fly

Just call me trey
I would love to see him do the strafe jump from annex blu number 5 (?), The one where you just have to strafe 180 degrees to the left.
It's 6, but yea

I think jumping while strafing with w has it's uses in jump maps, but they are few and far between. As for competive (as everyone else has already said), if used correctly it could successfully save you from being airshot, as well as maybe give you a couple cool jumps to try while bombing in on enemies. Also, strafing with S is viable as well

Rocketman

Main benefit of W-strafing is that you keep your crosshair on your target while circling them.  Allowing you to properly fire at them without ever losing your strafe turn.  100% useful in competitive, but a lot more predictable (As you keep a constant curve). Learn when and how to use them.

Fly

Hi
Is there a place where I can see an example of w strafing?  I've always strafed with A and D so I'm not really sure how w strafing works

Soldier

while strafing with w you usually go in a curve. most of the times you are circleing your view. this means you always look the same spot to make a normal curve.
if you look somewhere else you change the curve just a little bit.
This is one of the most importants and worst things of w strafing.
try it for yourself with like doing the roamer rollout on badlands to balcony and mid point you will see what i mean^^

Maggot

I always use the '+forward' key (for me, 'E', not 'W') with and without the strafe keys whenever I play, whether its competitively or just jumping, and I often tackle jump maps backwards as well. This is how I started back in the days of the original Quake and its just a habit that I just may never break.

Bottom line: I am not a professional and most likely never will be. That said, it is not impossible to employ this style, however for modern shooters it is best to take the advice from the professional jumpers of today.

Pages: [1]
« previous next »

spirit Powered by SMF 2.0 RC5 | SMF © 2006–2011, Simple Machines LLC