Forums

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Author Topic: The Science of Jump  (Read 7241 times)
Rocketman

No tears now; only dreams
exige you are way too sensitive, calm down. kairu just mad as fuk cuz he cant handle the ctap LOL

---------------------------

Soldier

I am disappointed, I honestly expected more from this community and a thread labeled the science of jump. Instead the only response I get is someone telling me that my statements aren't correct. I'll stir the pot though.

Keep in mind, its christmas break so all the kiddies are online with nothing better to do with their time....

Welcome to the forum. Im more of a lurker, but anyway, the numbers are rather interesting. No one has bothered to break down and publish all this info. We shall see if all of these hard number can help mappers push the jump options.

As for scripts, do what you want. Its not like there is a jump police.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2013, 01:40:22 AM by Dr. Whooo »

Rocketman

Judgmental much? If you had read my posts you would see I haven't done anything but to bring to light the timing windows and expected heights of ctapping. Heights people have been achieving for years now. In doing so, you can see the timing window for a "perfect ctap" is quite reasonable and achievable. Tapping crouch for 135-205ms giving a 70ms timing window, leading to a 110ms window to allow for attack + jump combo, which carries the standard timing of 15ms, which for all intents and purpose is at the same instant. In the timing window of 1 server tick which is 15.2ms at 66 ticks.

Gay jumps or not, it is interesting to see how and why things work, whether they be functional or not. Either way, Jamien was seeing the same numbers before I even bothered to script anything, and a lot of people were hitting those numbers.

I did not insult you, or slander you in any way.  I commented that the information you're providing is known/niche/impractical. Notice how the bouncing related threads get just as little talk.  This is a small community with even fewer who delve into the 'science' of it.

You came and within 1 day noted how disappointed you are that we're a small community, because your interests don't directly coincide.

Who's the judgmental one again? Stirring the pot sure is correct.

Offline  CrancK
Rocketeer

ehh... what?
dude...
or we could just keep these posts ontopic, as in on science instead of talking about wether people meant to or didnt mean to insult or whatever the stuffs?
like lets keep this a somewhat usefull thread by not making the x posts which were usefull, be drowned in x^x amount of shitposts?

don't worry, be happy?

and as to contribute to science:

could anyone, through scripts or otherwise, find the hard numbers for all the normal jumps? like how high do you jump when you jump normally, or crouchjump normally, on a flat surface? i know the impulse you get from pressing the button but not the actual difference in height it makes.

Offline  Exile
Rocketeer

Couldn't think of something clever to put
About the script you posted for a ctap earlier, wouldn't that not work on servers because of the wait command. I'm sure I've seen a ctap script that uses waits but no one uses because it's disabled or something like that

@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Rocketeer

the skybox is the limit
About the script you posted for a ctap earlier, wouldn't that not work on servers because of the wait command. I'm sure I've seen a ctap script that uses waits but no one uses because it's disabled or something like that

the wait command is banned in competitive leagues.

Soldier

Hi
So that script that was posted earlier is it a perfect ctap ? if not then what it is lol

Hi

Offline  duppy
Fly

Made a simple map to test ctaps if anyone's interested.  I chopped out jump 7 of LeXeR's jump_style (2nd half that some people ctap), and cp_granary's "rampart to rampart" jump, as well as some simple 685 height and 691 height brushes to jump up to.  I made sure to sink the map -68 units from the origin, so cl_showpos will show you at 0 (0.3 actually) units on the z-axis.

Download link (jump_ctap_test): http://www.mediafire.com/?bwg16k5zdqlmlb8

Ctap script randomly tweaked from eXiGe's post (got me to 691 a few times, bur very rarely. could be better I'm sure):
Code: [Select]
alias ctap "+duck;wait 10;+attack; wait 3; -duck; wait; +jump; -attack; wait 8; -jump"
bind mouse2 ctap

Note: I find it's best to use "The Original" rocket launcher for vertical jumps, and regular "Rocket Launcher" for horizontal distance jumps.  Also, I set my fps_max to 121 if that maters any for the script.

Soldier

Hi
Awesome map the 691 unit jump was so hard but managed to do it without scripts lol i wonder if a jump higher than 691 is possible

Hi

Rocketeer

the skybox is the limit
NUMBERS OM NOM NOM

Offline  dellort
Rocketeer

Video Maker Extraordinaire
When I was screwing around with ctap scripts and such I did it all through my keyboard macro program, so that it could be used on servers even where the wait command was blocked. The script I set up was similar to what you posted, it got the "perfect" height about 90% of the time, I think the 10% error was caused by me though and not the script.

Rocketman

So, curious.  Did a little testing last night, and found that it is completely dependant on FPS.  Using the 8/4 wait ctap script.  I was able to consistently 685 and occasionally 691 at 100fps.  At 67 fps it was a little less consistent, barely ever getting 691.  At 200 fps I didn't pass 640.  With uncapped fps, It varied widely from 350-640, at random.

To me, from that, it seems clear how much a role FPS plays into a proper ctap (I assume because the duration of the wait's is changed through amount of frames?).  Is there any easy measurement?

Offline  dellort
Rocketeer

Video Maker Extraordinaire
In Counterstrike some bhoppers use certain fps_max values to improve consistency of bhops. I'm guessing tf2 is the same way for jumping.

Rocketman

Fps only makes a difference when you are using scripts to do the ctap. Done by hand, it is mostly timing, some being lucky with the tick interval, and very little,  ping. That 8/4 script, as you call it, was only for a normal ctap at 200fps. A perfect ctap, using that script, would be 8/8.

alias ct "+duck;wait 8;-duck;+attack;wait 8;+jump;wait 15;-attack;-jump"

Is that what you meant by 8/8?  That's what I meant by 8/4 at least. I'd imagine the wait to release attack and jump doesn't really matter in duration.

The 8/8 does not ctap for me, at 200fps. Nothing over ~400 units.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2013, 12:32:52 AM by Kairu927 »

Soldier

Hi
So if the fps affects the ctap script there is no way to get a consistant ctap height with it?

Hi

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
« previous next »

spirit Powered by SMF 2.0 RC5 | SMF © 2006–2011, Simple Machines LLC