Forums

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Author Topic: The Science of Jump  (Read 7241 times)
Offline  Yami
Rocketeer

How does the water jump work??  I've always wondered why you get extra boost out of water.
^

Rocketman

While this is still somewhat live, I've had a question itching (relating to our bounce testing).

Does anyone know if the push recieved from an explosion is calculated linearly based on distance or if it's in levels (10-20 units away = this amount of push, 20-30 units away = this amount of push, etc)?  The latter would explain why bounces can be pretty consistent, while the former is more what I personally experience while jumping.

Offline  CrancK
Rocketeer

ehh... what?
dude...
its based on damage + an artificial push variable (set, only changes depending on it being bad_rj or rj, which i think prolly means uncrouched and crouched, but not sure.. kinda confusing name for the variables)

the damage side is a leftover from quake/tfc etc, the artificial part is completely new for tf2, and in the early times of tf2 the actual push the damage did was less, they increased it when they fucked up the rl for jumping a couple of times, way way back when)

also ofc, closer you are the more damage you get, + note that the origin of a playermodel, is inside the legs (should be the feet, but somehow somewhere inside the legs does the most damage, so evidence suggest origin is inside legs, maybe its somehow related to crouching making your legs go up? unsure :S )

and yes... i do think its linearly (the damage/distance), albeit with limits, like minimum and max (ofc)

« Last Edit: December 24, 2012, 04:24:08 AM by CrancK »

---------------------------

Offline  adrian
Fly

Is it possible to ctap a bounce?

Online  QuBA
Soldier

Is it possible to ctap a bounce?
Nope.

Rocketeer

the skybox is the limit
too many numbers

brain = dead

Maggot

I'm guessing you got your heights from cl_showpos exige which is actually 68 units above your feet or 45 if crouching. so my perfect ctap of 691 units high would actually be 736 in cl_showpos. As far as I can tell there is just the ctap glitch and all variation in your jump height depends on how soon your rocket hits you after leaving the ground while ducking

Offline  Yami
Rocketeer

Is it possible to ctap in water?

Rocketman

Is it possible to ctap in water?

I would assume so, supposing you're at a height where you won't fully submerge, but very possible that it wouldn't.

Maggot

I'm guessing you got your heights from cl_showpos exige which is actually 68 units above your feet or 45 if crouching. so my perfect ctap of 691 units high would actually be 736 in cl_showpos. As far as I can tell there is just the ctap glitch and all variation in your jump height depends on how soon your rocket hits you after leaving the ground while ducking

You are correct in your observations, except for the fact that you assume I didn't account for that. The height I was achieving with showpos was 738 - 68 = 670 + 23 = 693. I don't know how consistently a human can do it, but a partial ctap can be done in 15 ms with a macro, or 12 frames at 200 fps using tf2 scripts which is 60 ms. That partial ctap consistently reaches the ctap jump (708 units) on legion at 710-711 units without crouching.

Why do you keep adding 23 to everything? and I can't tell where you are getting these numbers from since the jump on legion is only 640 units high

Maggot

I was confused because showpos is a bad way of measuring jumps and because you kept switching back and forth between the two. and I finally realized the reason your numbers are higher than they should be is because crouching adds 20 units not 23 making your best jump 690 units high

Offline  Raiin
Soldier

Kangaroo-izzle
Apparently, I'm a robot.
Dexter vs. Mandark

Offline  Exile
Rocketeer

Couldn't think of something clever to put
After a few years of researching the mechanics of jump, I've concluded this formula.

Jump + Crouch + shoot = Rocket Jump.

And each action corresponds with a finger/thumb.

Jump = Left thumb
Crouch = Left Pinky
Shoot = Right index finger

Therefore, Rocket Jump = 3/5 hand (Index, Middle, ring, pinky, and the Thumb

So take previously mentioned 3/5 hand and add the angle of your pinky while Rocket Jump.

So 3/5 (.60) + 40 degrees = Air pogo

So multiply Air Pogo and Rocket Jump
 = Demoman or Soldier

Let Demoman = black and Soldier = not black

So Rocket Jump = Crazy white person with weapon.

@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Maggot

hint: this community is awful don't expect anything from it.

Sorry but I just got annoyed that after I had spent quite a few hours of testing to determine that 693 was impossible then suddenly you come along and make claims that would prove me wrong. I'm just saying 691 was the best I could ever get though I suspect 692 is possible

I got the showpos conversion wrong because I never use it and forgot how off it is. showpos gives you height of your view which is 68 standing 45 crouched but the actual player height which decides where you can land is 82 units standing 62 units crouched. so that's why the actual difference is 20

Rocketman

That's somewhat disheartening. I have had a pretty good time in jump servers for the past little bit I have been frequenting them, I guess I assumed this forum would carry the same atmosphere.

Scripting to try to find the max height that people wouldn't be able to do consistently isn't really a popular past-time.  Even more-so when it doesn't quite seem to have a purpose than to make a gay jump in a map. It's not like it's some super special technique we can use to introduce new jumps.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
« previous next »

spirit Powered by SMF 2.0 RC5 | SMF © 2006–2011, Simple Machines LLC