Forums

Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Problems with consistency (in general, and speficially jump_beef #11)  (Read 963 times)
Offline  The BQE
Soldier

I'm new to jumping, and after getting frustrated with jump servers' difficulty, was recommended a few beginner maps, one of which was jump_beef.  I've almost completed it, but I can't really seem to be consistent in general, so the learning curver is incredibly steep.  If I make a jump, it will be a 1 out of 100 kind of thing, and because the timing is so quick, I never really end up figuring out what I did right that one time. 

Specifically, jump_beef #11 comes to mind.  I've done it correctly I think 5 times now?  But that's out of a few hundred attempts.  I can consistently fail to the same spot - just short of the target landing area - but I can't consistently hit it.  Are there any tricks to getting that extra distance? 

And do you have any recommendations for getting a more consistent result?  Or is rocket jumping just stabbing in the dark until something works?  I feel like the learning curve is frustratingly and discouragingly difficult. 

Rocketeer

The learning curve for jump beef is actually really good. And the problem you probably have with jump 11 is that you jump to high.
If you want some help in-game sometimes you can add me if you want.

---------------------------

Offline  bombs
Fly

for me its been muscle memory. i've done the flick click part so many times that it just feels natural at this point. you get used to knowing how to adjust your aim while moving quickly on a wall or during a speedpogo. it can be frustrating when you start, i wasn't able to do beef the first time i tried it, but over time i got used to the map and now it takes a few minutes at most.

just gotta keep practicing and the consistency will come later. a big part of it is knowing the jumps as well. the first time through a map like jump_cheval can be really rough if you dont know how to do them. but once you've done each one a good 5 or 6 times it becomes a piece of cake.

so yeah just keep trying and remember to adjust your aim based on your movement and you'll get there.

if i remember correctly jump 11 is the rocket jump to skip off the plat? try farther behind you. you're probably going too high so you dont have the horizontal momentum to get to the finish. you want as much horizontal speed as possible.

Offline  The BQE
Soldier

for me its been muscle memory. i've done the flick click part so many times that it just feels natural at this point. you get used to knowing how to adjust your aim while moving quickly on a wall or during a speedpogo. it can be frustrating when you start, i wasn't able to do beef the first time i tried it, but over time i got used to the map and now it takes a few minutes at most.

just gotta keep practicing and the consistency will come later. a big part of it is knowing the jumps as well. the first time through a map like jump_cheval can be really rough if you dont know how to do them. but once you've done each one a good 5 or 6 times it becomes a piece of cake.

so yeah just keep trying and remember to adjust your aim based on your movement and you'll get there.

if i remember correctly jump 11 is the rocket jump to skip off the plat? try farther behind you. you're probably going too high so you dont have the horizontal momentum to get to the finish. you want as much horizontal speed as possible.

Thanks. I've tried a number of things, adjusting aiming further behind to get more horizontal momentum, tried jumping as close to the first ledge as possible, tried waiting to the last minute to fire my second rocket....nothing.  Except those 4 or 5 times I made it.

Fly

I started from scratch not too long ago too, and the beginning is extremely difficult.  It's great to put time into a jump but I wouldn't recommend putting over 20 minutes into one jump at a time, I would move to another map or jump for a bit as you will just be frustrated.

The specific jump you are talking about, the initial jump is extremely important.  One thing I over looked and I'm sure many have is making sure the initial jump is timed properly.  Hitting all the keys at the exact same time to get maximum push, it's so important yet so over looked.  If you get the initial jump right and hit the plat form at a decent angle with speed it's very easy.  Also you will notice if you flick forward on those skips it helps.

As for learning like they say just put the time in.  However one thing that I found that helped my learning curve was staying on the harder jump maps and working on those.  It was amazing to see the progress even failing at harder maps I could go back to the easier ones and now crush them.

Good luck man don't get frustrated and always think about what you're doing and why, where your rocket is going.  There are so many little things that make a difference that you can't just fix it quickly.

Fly

Registered as Special43004 but playing as Kandrix
also, check out this amazing rj tutorial video.
TF2 rocket jumping: the ultimate tf2 rocket jumping tutorial I HD

New acc

Old acc

Offline  Exile
Rocketeer

Couldn't think of something clever to put
All it takes is practice really, but if you still can't manage do to it after a while try watching someone else do it and learn from it. That's how I learned to inconsistently downpogo.

EDIT: Also, if you get stuck on certain jumps after trying it a million times over and over, take a few minutes to relax, after a break you get the feeling of being batman and performing better. Or it could be just me.

@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Offline  The BQE
Soldier

All it takes is practice really, but if you still can't manage do to it after a while try watching someone else do it and learn from it. That's how I learned to inconsistently downpogo.

EDIT: Also, if you get stuck on certain jumps after trying it a million times over and over, take a few minutes to relax, after a break you get the feeling of being batman and performing better. Or it could be just me.

Shit, you are right about this being frustrating.  I did eventually get beef 11 down (was merely shooting down and holding W, instead of flicking backwards and holding A), but now I've got a different jump problem.  Pagoda #4.  I've spent about an hour on it now, and have made the first part of the jump just twice.

Offline  X_DIAS
Rocketman

The world is a cube
Man....if i had a list of every jump i've struggled at......

just keep trying and trying

Pages: [1]
« previous next »

spirit Powered by SMF 2.0 RC5 | SMF © 2006–2011, Simple Machines LLC