Forums

Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Map competition  (Read 687 times)
Offline  Hadokk
Rocketeer

Bball Server Filler Upper
Okay
So I'm thinking of starting another map comp of some sort, this time it will be a freestyle theme. I'm kind of into the whole collaboration style of work, but I'm not sure how well it would play out with a freestyle map. Still I'm prefering to have it collaby because then it will be, hopefully, one awesome map instead of x number of halfarsed ones. Then again it will be hard to decide who's the winner. Seing as you would probaly just have made a certain part of the map and the quality of it would depend on a number of things, like what the parts around it are like, where it's placed.

I think the best way for the competition to be collaby is if it could be like minecraft, you go in a server and work on your section of the map and then it will be probaly be a more dynamic map as you could see what the others are doing and adapt your section to it. But then, this isn't Minecraft and the only way I can see it work something like that is if the map is passad around, which would be cool, but probaly a real pain after a while. Like you could have the map for a certain amount of time, pass it to the next person who will work on it and so forth. Anyway, this passing around way of creating a map has been discussed before and I haven't really seen any real benefits in it. But with a freestyle map it would be a bit different, as your section is dependent on others.

Anyway, I could go on for a bit with this without coming to any conclusion. I'm thinking of options for this comp, here are a few:

Every contestant make their own map, prizing will be similiar to the collab-comp.

Every contestant make a section of the map, prizing will go to individuals based on something, like which section of the map is most played or used for jumps. Or just voted for.

Contestants make a section of the map, money either goes to JumpIt and Chillout or everyone who participate gets something.

We have an idea-box and everyone can contribute with ideas or even draw how parts of the map could look like, someone builds it (open tests on a regular basis for feedback etc). Prize... dunno.

Anyway, feel free to come up with own ideas how a comp like this would look like or how it could be done. I'm not saying I will really make something out of this, but as usual if people seem interested then maybe :) Also if someone want to co-host (ie throw some moneys lolol) this comp with me just say so ^^

« Last Edit: September 10, 2012, 04:32:27 AM by Hadokk »

Offline  X_DIAS
Rocketman

The world is a cube
I would say to not having prize at all, but then maybe people wouldn't be so intrested..?

anyway, i'd like the freestyle areas thingy to be tryed out

Rocketeer

the skybox is the limit
Time to learn how to make maps...

Rocketman

No tears now; only dreams
Pretty exciting stuff, I already have some vmfs of random stuff I could work on.

for ppl who don't have any idea how to map feel free to ask me. I'm no drexen, but I certainly know enough to make a basic jump map. I bet drexen would be willing to help anyways.

---------------------------

Offline  Wolsk
Rocketeer

i love you
i'd like the freestyle areas thingy to be tryed out

klanana:  I DID NOT EAT THE CAT
dellort: This mod is pretty cool, just wish the devs would fix the bug that allows MIKE to play on it.

Offline  Hadokk
Rocketeer

Bball Server Filler Upper
Okay
Okay, I think the best way for a freestyle map divided into sections would work out best if we have it pasted together and tested like once a week or so. That way we can see how well our sections play along with the others and give feedback to eachother and change accordingly. I think that might be really interesting to see how we all cram our favourite bits of parkour jumping into one map and, hopefully, still get it to flow like one map. Reckon it will be chaos at first though.

I would prolly make a vlog out of it too, just so you could see how we progress along.

Rocketeer

the skybox is the limit
Or maybe (random idea flying out of my head) you could have set a general shape for the final product of the map (say a giant open space like trix) and then parition that into all sorts of odd shapes and sizes and distribute those partitions to people who'd like to fill them up with mappiness. That way you could also give large chunks of map to ambitious mappers and smaller chunks for less experienced mappers, or those who don't have as much time to spend mapping.

Maybe you could also give some general outline for what you'd like one chunk of the map's innards to look like (i.e add more empty space here) so the map doesn't get too cluttered, or just leave some free space between partitions.

Offline  Exile
Rocketeer

Couldn't think of something clever to put
I skimmed this since im in a rush for a bit, but what I'm getting at is that you want to make a map like trix (freestyle) but like the collab map we did before? Sounds like fun.

@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Offline  bombs
Fly

this is a cool idea!

i think it would be cool if each area was linked in a way that you can jump from one to other, and each area could be stylized differently. it might also get tricky to get it all lit well if there are huge spaces that are separated by walls and such. just something to think about. like how neat would it be if there were like one big jump that links all the areas or something.

just ideas but yeah make something cool!

Pages: [1]
« previous next »

spirit Powered by SMF 2.0 RC5 | SMF © 2006–2011, Simple Machines LLC