Forums

Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Fake Speedrun Times  (Read 1896 times)
Offline  adrian
Fly

So i was jumping on vendetta earlier and noticed the top times were all ridiculously quick for the map size and being an idiot i used the same exploit to get a time. After a bit of a telling off from quba ;) i started to think how these sorts of runs were basically cheating and unfair in gaining points for speedruns.
So i was just wondering whether it's possible to get a few speedruns deleted off the data base to even the playing field or just make it fair for everyone again and more dependent on actual skill rather than tp exploits or w/e.

Im sure there are more but the ones below are some that i can think of off the top of my head:

- cheval (number 1 time seems to be over a minute faster that the next best time)
- propel_v3 (light managed to finish this in 39 seconds haha)
- same with propel_v2
- vendetta (bonus jump lets you speedrun in under a minute)

---------------------------

Offline  QuBA
Soldier

A couple more i found:

- 2 <3s times on jump_einfache_b1
- 15s on jump_hobo2
- 48s on jump_impact_beta2
- 5s time on jump_speed
- 7 <11s times on jump_speed2

Rocketman

- Cheval has been reported.  It was accidental, it just hasn't been removed.
- Not sure about propel_v3, but see v2 comment, possibility of something similar.
- Propel_v2 has a shortcut that skips half the map (placed in map by map maker), which bloody utilized and nobody else had
- Vendetta has the level select near the start that lets you jump to the end (you can compete against this, still, though), pagoda has similar issues.
- The ones quba noted were likely cheated with engineer teleporters.

Offline  QuBA
Soldier

- Propel_v2 has a shortcut that skips half the map (placed in map by map maker), which bloody utilized and nobody else had
- Vendetta has the level select near the start that lets you jump to the end (you can compete against this, still, though), pagoda has similar issues.
Still should be deleted imo... clearly defeats the purpose of speedruns.

Offline  adrian
Fly

Still should be deleted imo... clearly defeats the purpose of speedruns.
[/quote]

agreed

Offline  bombs
Fly

(you can compete against this, still, though)

uh what why would a time recorded using a level select be considered legit

Offline  QuBA
Soldier

One more thing, would be nice if someone could delete all the courses/poles on duey. They are messed up to the point where they need to be completely redone (wasnt me though :D).

Rocketman

(you can compete against this, still, though)

uh what why would a time recorded using a level select be considered legit

Because everyone else can do it, and try to break it.  A soldier cannot compete with an engineer's teleport, or someone noclipping, but still has the ability to enter the level select himself.

Offline  QuBA
Soldier

Because everyone else can do it, and try to break it.  A soldier cannot compete with an engineer's teleport, or someone noclipping, but still has the ability to enter the level select himself.

Thats true, but considering these runs legit would completely destroy speedruns on maps with levelselect and make it extremely boring. I think it shouldnt be allowed, otherwise we'd have lame 20s times on redplanet, tholos, twist, pagoda, vendetta, propel, yucca and a shitton of other maps...
In the case of vendetta even adrian and matti (the guys who made the times) agree that it should be deleted.

Rocketman

I don't disagree that they're silly and should likely be removed, but, they aren't really 'Cheated' so it isn't a huge issue either.

Any of those problems lie solely with the map maker.  Or rather, whoever added the frogs to the map (if not the map-maker, not sure how it works).  Any of this can be completely negated by having checkpoints as part of the run, and we shouldn't have to bother Redwine each time someone re-discovers the level select.

Pagoda kind of does this with checkpoints, but being only 3 checkpoints, you can reset and just hit all 3 and cheat those times as well (Seems possible with current top times being cheated).

The only real way to deal with this would be to edit each and every map, clearing the times (Not likely to happen) or just overall prevent future maps from having some silly level select room at the start of the map. 

Rocketman

No tears now; only dreams
While we're at it, get rid of those bhop times that plague the leaderboards on maps like adventure and beef. They should be put along with the regen/teleport times; on a separate leaderboard. I don't think holding spacebar to just zoom through a map should be taken seriously

Offline  QuBA
Soldier

While we're at it, get rid of those bhop times that plague the leaderboards on maps like adventure and beef. They should be put along with the regen/teleport times; on a separate leaderboard. I don't think holding spacebar to just zoom through a map should be taken seriously
They are seperate like regen times, they are just shown without having to tick the "Show regen" box. Not a big deal.

Edit: Oh wait, thats what you mean? They just shouldnt be shown on the leaderboards? Still not a big deal though...
« Last Edit: September 02, 2012, 08:14:15 PM by QuBA »

Offline  QuBA
Soldier

1 more time for the list, I accidentally got nr1 on endurance expert, didnt notice the timer was still running and noclipped through pretty much every jump :/

Offline  Matti
Fly

soar_a4 is out!
So far no one of any significance regarding the timers has posted in this thread. Could one of you comment, even if it is just to say you're not going to fix this.

Fly

Safe Word: Banana
I run this shit
I cleared out the times you reported (if I missed any let me know and I will go back and look for them/others).  Conveniently we now have a lot of data on what a legitimate run on each map looks like (with the exception of a few maps with only a couple runs).  If I have some time I will be running some tests to see if we can sample the existing runs pool to determine if a given new time is likely to be fake or not.

On Bhop times (quad times, etc):
These are not considered when calculating rank (if I remember correctly), if that is not the case they are assigned a scalar which diminishes their value, but I can check into/change that if there is interest.

Also in about 5 minutes all of the stats signatures will work again.

▮ TF2Jump.com Owner, Developer
▮ iT Lead Administrator

Pages: [1] 2
« previous next »

spirit Powered by SMF 2.0 RC5 | SMF © 2006–2011, Simple Machines LLC