Forums

Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Question(s?) about Ctap  (Read 2542 times)
Maggot

I need to get this cleared up. I usually jump without ctap, but wanted to learn it for so long. The ctap tut was okay, but wasn't clear enough for me. Here are some of the questions:

• What are the exact keypresses when doing a ctap?
  • Can I use a bind for ctap?
  • Do I need to hold crouch throughout the whole jump after doing the ctap(bear in mind I still don't know how to do it)?
  • Does demo-jumping need ctapping?
*new*
  • What is the ideal difference to aim for a ctap? Say, a vertical rj, vs a ctap vertical rj. Assuming the ctap was done perfectly, z being the height value of a normal rj, z+x for ctap, what would x be?

More questions when I have them.

Cheers.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2012, 03:49:57 AM by combataran »

Rocketeer

the skybox is the limit
I need to get this cleared up. I usually jump without ctap, but wanted to learn it for so long. The ctap tut was okay, but wasn't clear enough for me. Here are some of the questions:

• What are the exact keypresses when doing a ctap?
  • Can I use a bind for ctap?
  • Do I need to hold crouch throughout the whole jump after doing the ctap(bear in mind I still don't know how to do it)?
  • Does demo-jumping need ctapping?

More questions when I have them.

Cheers.

To perform a ctap, tap crouch (the tap duration and more details are covered in anarchay's youtube tutorial), and when you release crouch, jump and shoot (as you would in a normal RJ) as you stand up.

Do not use a bind.

You don't have to hold crouch once you ctap unless you plan on doing some more jumps.

Demo jumping doesn't need ctap, although I may be wrong on this.

Maggot

So basically it's used only in single jumps(or as a starting jump)? What about walljumps and synchs? Wallclimbing? The starting jump for a speedpogo? And do I still need to hold crouch as I skip?

Offline  HBC
Maggot

awk
always hold crouch in midair for any jump(as soldier). it increases the boost from rockets and also makes your hitbox smaller when trying to go through holes.

ctaps apply only when you do a standard jump (that means syncs can be ctapped.) you can't ctap on pogos or walljumps.
you can do them as demo but it won't make much difference iirc and it's basically pointless to do anyways since you can often manage using an airpogo or 2 stickies to make up for any situation in which you need a little more distance.

Rocketman

Basically, this is the order of keys pressed.

Code: [Select]
+duck
-duck
+jump
+attack

Once you do this, you can reapply crouch for future wallshots or whatever, but you cannot be holding crouch at the moment of jumping and firing.

Like HBC said, you can do this off of any standard jump, as long as you can freely stand on the ground, and have time to ctap, be it a normal start, or syncs, though with syncs adds another layer of timing to learn.

Maggot

press duck
500 ms after you press duck let go
50 ms after you let go of duck fire your rocket
75 ms after you fire your rocket press jump

when I heard about this whole new ctap craze I got annoyed with how vague all the instructions were so here's as straight forward as it gets. all the numbers are a bit rough and timing can vary depending on server tickrate ping and fps.

Maggot

*new*
What is the ideal difference to aim for a ctap? Say, a vertical rj, vs a ctap vertical rj. Assuming the ctap was done perfectly, z being the height value of a normal rj, z+x for ctap, what would x be?

Maggot

The best boost you can get from ctapping seems to be about 60 units higher than a normal jump. the highest ctap I ever recorded was 686 units high measured at the feet. for reference a player is 83 units tall when standing and 63 units tall when crouching

Offline  Tom
Maggot

always hold crouch in midair for any jump(as soldier). it increases the boost from rockets and also makes your hitbox smaller when trying to go through holes.

Don't hold crouch when bombing in 'normal' tf2 as you will get pushed away much moire from airshots and other shit, it makes it much harder to bomb and much easier for enemy soldiers to stop you

Offline  Yami
Rocketeer

Holding crouch in midair doesn't get you further than not holding crouch. You just need to have crouch pressed when the rocket's blast hits you. People hold crouch because it's easier and become a habit.

Rocketman

Don't hold crouch when bombing in 'normal' tf2 as you will get pushed away much moire from airshots and other shit, it makes it much harder to bomb and much easier for enemy soldiers to stop you
Holding crouch in midair doesn't get you further than not holding crouch. You just need to have crouch pressed when the rocket's blast hits you. People hold crouch because it's easier and become a habit.

I'm fairly sure he's just talking about a jumper's standpoint.  There's no reason not to hold crouch in the air, if you're just doing a jump map.

Pages: [1]
« previous next »

spirit Powered by SMF 2.0 RC5 | SMF © 2006–2011, Simple Machines LLC