Forums

Pages: [1]
Author Topic: work in progress: jump_bomb  (Read 875 times)
Offline  bombs
Fly

hey there. im working on a soldier map and its a little less than halfway done. i was hoping some of you might take a look at what i have so far, and offer input, suggestions, and unwarranted praise.

it is my first map, but i have been taking great care to avoid making rookie mistakes. no sealing off the whole map with walls, trying not to use huge skybox cubes, making sure all the jumps are measured well and not confusing, you know. i want it to be fun, challenging but not frustrating map with creative jumps. as you go thru it, try and see if you can figure out the goal of the jump without actually trying it. you can't tell on 7 or 9 though.

i plan on having 20 jumps, starting easy and progressing to advanced difficulty. im not too sure what else to say.

i will not be including ctaps, quad syncs, downpogos, or anything like that.

known issues:
waterfall in starting area is too bright
jump 10 is unfinished
gonna replace some of the lamps
slight fps drop in areas with fog (func_dustcloud)
point_spotlights are a tiny bit off on the lamp posts

you can see a few screenshots here if you want to see the general look. my computer is weird so they look darker than they appear in game. not sure how to fix this, they take as if my brightness was at 0, and my games brightness does this if i alt tab.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/BobRoss4Ever/screenshot/560949710475994660/?tab=public

jump_bomb 8/13/2012
*link deleted because its an old version and ive shown it to enough people already*
« Last Edit: September 10, 2012, 11:20:09 PM by bombs »

Rocketman

Is the 10th jump not complete? Kinda ended on a platform in nowhere. I suppose that's what the filename meant.

So I went through it pretty quickly, at the moment its relatively simple. 

I'm not sure what you meant about not being able to tell the goal on 7-9, did you mean visually from the start? Doesn't really matter too much, they were only a few attempts each, to learn.

There's nothing glaringly 'bad' to point out, the jumps all work the way they should, and it doesn't look ugly, but:

I don't know if it's personal preference or not, but I don't like the texture consistency.  It's easier with dev textures, but, I like to know immediately what is shootable and what isn't.  There were multiple times I was going through the jump, when my rocket just goes through a wall and I had no way of knowing.  Or running into the door on 7 because it looked like your previous platform to double on.

Maybe have the smooth wood represent shootable, the sectioned represent not-shootable, and the redwood represent landable? Anything really, as long as it's consistent for the entire map.  You kind of interchanged these everywhere, which just kinda led to a few fails that were annoying.  Granted they're simple jumps, but it's just a pet peeve of mine.

Would like to see more, though.  It seems like it'd be a fun map to speedrun on, and it seems like a nice skill bridge between maps like beef/adventure and maps like tholos/pagoda.

Offline  Drexen
Rocketeer

i have been taking great care to avoid making rookie mistakes. no sealing off the whole map with walls, trying not to use huge skybox cubes, making sure all the jumps are measured well and not confusing, you know. i want it to be fun, challenging but not frustrating map with creative jumps. as you go thru it, try and see if you can figure out the goal of the jump without actually trying it. you can't tell on 7 or 9 though.

i plan on having 20 jumps, starting easy and progressing to advanced difficulty. im not too sure what else to say.

i will not be including ctaps, quad syncs, downpogos, or anything like that.

^ this

Rocketeer

i dont care!
coool... can i upload on server or for what is that file ?

Rocketman

No tears now; only dreams
awesome work! i love the ambiance. the fog is nice with the lighting, especially the point_spotlights. You may want to consider changing the skybox texture since it's all pixely (at least for me) http://gamebanana.com/css/textures/cats/28. Some nice ones there.

I agree with kairu in that some of the textures need to be changed. Too much of that wood with the stripes. Also the texture you have on some of the skip jumps is the same as the landing platform. Like in lvl 9 the skip platform has the same texture as the landing platform down below. And don't use dev textures, it's great how it is now. It's really not that bad, but as the levels get more complex it's gonna get confusing.

also... nice steam community id
« Last Edit: August 13, 2012, 11:16:04 AM by Afterglow »

---------------------------

Offline  bombs
Fly

ah ok thanks a lot guys, this is the kind of advice i need. I will definitely make it clearer which textures are landable, which ones are not, and which ones let rockets thru.

@weedskill no dont upload it yet unless you really want to for some reason. I mean i dont care if you do, but its halfway done.

i'll go through it today and fix the textures on the stuff. It'll probably be the stripey wood is not shootable, the brown wood landable and the red wood skips and stuff. It may not be completely consistent, but if its not according to the scheme it will be obvious what needs to happen. for example the stripey wood on 10 is obviously shootable.  though i dont know what i'll do on number 6 because on that one you wall jump on the stripey wood as well. I suppose i could make a wall part that sticks out with the red wood or something but that jump is pretty finicky as it is, since you have to get an almost perfect wall jump to get on the plat.

and remember i have 10 more jumps to increase the difficulty. I want it to be about as hard as pagoda/tholos at the end. Thing is harder jumps like that have to be a lot more deliberate and carefully planned or else they are just annoying. So yeah.

thanks a lot guys. appreciate the feedback.

« Last Edit: August 13, 2012, 06:57:23 PM by bombs »

Pages: [1]
« previous next »

spirit Powered by SMF 2.0 RC5 | SMF © 2006–2011, Simple Machines LLC