Forums

Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Airstrafing sideways/W and S strafing?  (Read 1144 times)
Offline  deep
Maggot

It just occurred to me, but is it possible to airstrafe sideways by using W and S keys? For example, you face forward then turn 90 degrees right while still maintaining the facing forward momentum. Just wondering if this is possible as it could be useful for people who get juggled and don't have time to re orient themselves midflight.

Offline  Raiin
Soldier

Kangaroo-izzle
Apparently, I'm a robot.
Yes, but not very useful as you can't see what you are doing or where you are going.
Eaaaaasy to test, 95% of TF2 players who try to air strafe for the first time will only hold W and turn the mouse which is exactly what you are talking about, they get minor success with it even if they stick with it instead of changing to A/D.

S is the same except even more retarded.

I know wonderland would beat me with a stick if i didn't say that W air strafing can be useful if you want to be very irregular in your air strafe patterns by switching between W/A/D air strafes.

---------------------------

Offline  X_DIAS
Rocketman

The world is a cube
That's actually very useful for a med, in the situation you've said
But it comes out pretty natural, not something you really need to pratice

Offline  Benvdd
Maggot

The thing is with W strafing you have to look into the circle on wich you are strafing, so you cant see where you are headed as opposed with strafe keys you look along the tangent on the circle (the way you are actually going).

Offline  Drexen
Rocketeer

Does nobody else just let go of w when they get thrown in the air?

Soldier

Now that you mention it, when I'm juggled I usually don't have time to think to release W

Offline  X_DIAS
Rocketman

The world is a cube

I do
mainly because most of the time i always prepare the jump if a rocket is coming at me
but some times is just unpratical

(i'm talking about med playing)

Offline  deep
Maggot

I do, but the only reason I mentioned sideways dreading was because it could be interesting for trickjumping.

Rocketman

I do, but the only reason I mentioned sideways dreading was because it could be interesting for trickjumping.

Well... there isn't much a W strafe will do for you that a normal strafe won't.  It makes taking corners on wallpogos much easier, but that's really about it for trickjumping aside from gimmicky shotgun target jumps.

Soldier

Now that you mention it, when I'm juggled I usually don't have time to think to release W
releasing w is not really hard if juggled.
when i am in air i cant hold w at anytime (except walljumping but thats not the point^^) i need to force myself to hold w in air.
same thing if i get juggled. its all about training and overview. if you know that a rocket is going to you you will automaticly strafe away. i think the best way to learn it is playing bball with some good airshooter.

Soldier

m3thskiLL
W strafes (meaning W+A or D) can work for dodging, like in bball when you transition to a dif. strafe style mid jump it can be super annoying to aim at. (see: Snubbs)

W can be good for DM and bombing too if you want to circle strafe around someone while aiming at them.

in general tho, its pretty fucking useless.

and while backwards strafing is the best, S strafing is about the most useless thing ever.

and strafing using ONLY W or S which is what i think you were asking.. is the most most useless thing ever.

pmuch what Raiin said

Offline  CrancK
Rocketeer

ehh... what?
dude...
ehm... just to clarify.. afaik... according to the engine w+a/d strafe is the same as w strafe (unless mods)

s strafe would be the same... if it were not for the fact that it has got a built in slowdown on it

---------------------------

Pages: [1]
« previous next »

spirit Powered by SMF 2.0 RC5 | SMF © 2006–2011, Simple Machines LLC