Forums

Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: A homage to jumping in cs 1.6  (Read 4902 times)
Rocketman

No tears now; only dreams
The few people I talk to about the timer often would prefer something like the surf timer, it automatically starts and cannot be dodged

Yea this is how it should be done. People should be allowed to use !bhop, !superman, and checkpoints but their time will simply not be put on the leaderboards. The timer will still run, it just won't count towards the leaderboards. Typing !top will still show the same leaderboards !top does in the jump server currently.

This is probably easier said than done, like most things regarding programming.

i'm happy to give source to anyone,

if anyone thinks he can fix/do stuff

I can take a look at it if you want. I'm a CS major myself, though I'm only in my first year of studies and I don't know anything about plugins or mods in general. You can email me at alex.tatusko@gmail.com or just post it on forums.

---------------------------

Soldier

Yea this is how it should be done. People should be allowed to use !bhop, !superman, and checkpoints but their time will simply not be put on the leaderboards. The timer will still run, it just won't count towards the leaderboards. Typing !top will still show the same leaderboards !top does in the jump server currently.

This is probably easier said than done, like most things regarding programming.
The current version of the timer already sorts between if regen is on or not and quad and bhop, so filtering times by that is already doable as well

Maggot

I gotta say, as a novice jumper who can do adventure and easy maps, I definitely find this idea of speed runs on maps that are not just difficult maps really exciting.
Perhaps jumpers could even be set into a "tier" of jumper based on their (relative) jump times for various maps, similar to strange weapons. This could be a fun and interesting way to give novice and intermediate jumpers something to work towards in regard to better technique, creativity (not just looking on youtube for that singular way to beat a specific jump), and prestige. For the advanced jumpers, you would have to find new ways to jump quickly through maps in order to maintain your titles or class of jumper for that map. I can see how that might get tiresome, however, for you.

Just a quick thought...

I love that there is a community of jumpers here...and it's exciting to actually see you all out there playing the maps.

Offline  CrancK
Rocketeer

ehh... what?
dude...
go wild ^^

this one even has the mapside triggers, the norun matti and wonder requested, and some other minor fixes
(its the same one thats running on chillout atm... and seeing as it seems pretty broken there.. i still havent fixed that, HOWEVER!, i did notice that everytime i was on and it wasnt working.. the database was also down.. SOOOO, it might still.. not be my plugin thats at fault ^^)

(still doesnt have the nice menustuff the old sr had tho... i might look into that as a final thing (and/or into fixing the brokenness of the plugin, if anyone can find me an error/clue)
« Last Edit: August 09, 2012, 08:17:53 AM by CrancK »

Offline  CrancK
Rocketeer

ehh... what?
dude...
also... fuck you ppl, ridley has done timed runs 1 and 2 days ago... so apparently it !IS! working

so yes, even MIKE, go beat him, he beat several of your times, and don't complain bout shit till you can find me an error...

(pffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff)

(also... it dawned on me that i might not have given that version on my prev post to jumpit, even though theres not much changed... ill add it to this post compiled)

and also.. i had a slight error in the last one i had up.. so i reuploaded both the sp and smx, should be fine now
« Last Edit: August 09, 2012, 08:18:45 AM by CrancK »

Rocketman

Yes it does work, but not consistently. If it helps I noticed it was working for like 20 min when I was playing jump_mouser, then it just suddenly stopped working. I don't think something breaks for no reason, something must've caused it. Someone suggested that it breaks if someone sets off a trigger during the 30 second set up or whatever, but obviously that is not true.

The code is beyond the scope of my knowledge (I don't know c++). But can I ask, was it working perfectly fine at one point? Because if it was indeed working perfectly fine at one point, I doubt it's the code that's the problem, unless some steam update somehow broke something. Also I think you could trim out some of the unnecessary features, like the numeral difficulty of every course (which absolutely no one pays attention to).

Honestly, I'm confident I could fix it if I really had a serious attempt at it, but that would take a lot of time to learn the syntax/semantics of c++ and plugins in general. I'm curious to know, how long did it take you to write the plugin? And is there a tutorial/help forum you used to learn about the plugin-in related stuff, (like all the source-related commands and whatnot).

I did find this: https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Category:Programming, but I doubt that will cover everything.

Rocketman

It works perfectly fine on other servers, so it's more than likely just having troubles with another plugin on the server.  Last I heard, can't remember who or when, is that jumpit/jujumpit have a different version of JA than Chillout, so that could be the reason for the breaking, but I'm not actually sure if that's why, or if it's even still true.

Offline  CrancK
Rocketeer

ehh... what?
dude...
yes it has worked fine before

(also its not c++, its called sourcepawn.. and its basically a simplistic c scripting language)

indeed i think they may be other plugins interfering, since at one point JA did a certain query to its db which fucked my query.. but rush and i worked that one out at that time.. so.. i doubt thats it (unless ppl use a really really old version of JA)

Maggot

kz is awesome sauce. I probably would have taken a lot longer to become a good rocket jumper if I didn't already have a lot of climbing experience

Rocketman

apparently the timers on jujumpit/jump it are outdated. Cranck linked the new version in his recent post, so can an admin please update them? Quba says the timers are workign 100% in chilloutzone now with the newer version

edit: I don't think im ever going to let go of this whole speedrun thing. I guess im just super competitive. Being the best means having the fastest times imo. sorry if im annoying
« Last Edit: August 13, 2012, 01:03:46 AM by Afterglow »

Pages: 1 [2]
« previous next »

spirit Powered by SMF 2.0 RC5 | SMF © 2006–2011, Simple Machines LLC