Forums

Pages: [1]
Author Topic: jump_silly  (Read 2086 times)
Offline  CrancK
Rocketeer

ehh... what?
dude...
lo....

i'mma making a map, somewhat based off of most of the other maps i have lying round which are all non-finished

and... ehh ye...

its alpha still, so dont care about how it looks + not all jumps are in yet, but people asked me to release it already so here it is

http://www63.zippyshare.com/v/30800926/file.html

it is heavily, and i really mean heavily focused around strafing, and has some easy jumps, some jurfs, some syncs and some wacky shit, and ehhh.... have fun  :P

ps: ideas for theme of texturing/detailing would be cool.. cos im still not sure.... since theres flying platforms and all... most nature themes are out... heavy industry stuff might be cool.... but i'd like to keep most of them with skybox on top.. so that might be strange.... maybe just high-tech in nature again like jump_around... but with less displacements... hmm i dunno... suggestions might be nice
« Last Edit: March 06, 2012, 02:27:03 PM by CrancK »

---------------------------

Offline  3Balls
Maggot

Nice, going to test it.

Offline  Huh?
Maggot

awesome

Offline  X_DIAS
Rocketman

The world is a cube
Cool
Gonna play it when i can
And the you'll got a rain of detailing ideas

Offline  dav
Maggot

can't wait to try out all those hidden jumps!  :P

great work, appreciated!

Offline  CrancK
Rocketeer

ehh... what?
dude...
new version a12

has main course (jump into mouth)

has sync/combo jumps course (jump into closed eye)

and freestyle area (though under construction not done yet by far + need to use /regen or buddha or whatever) (jump into open eye)

if i counted correctly, 34 jumps available, 2 extra in the map which have no tp to them, cos they need to be fixxed up, but i wanted to release newer version cos its at least 10+ more new jumps

also, i'm not entirely certain about the order in which the jumps are.... if anyone feels they are too much all over the place in terms of skill progression, i'd love suggestions for a better line-up

without further ado:

http://www63.zippyshare.com/v/30800926/file.html
« Last Edit: March 06, 2012, 02:35:08 PM by CrancK »

Offline  Huh?
Maggot

awesome

Offline  tordana
Rocketeer

Couple things while playing through it. I've mentioned jumps that were either confusing or difficult for me. If it's not mentioned I completed it within 2-3 minutes of trying, that should hopefully give you a difficulty feel.

-- The jump (maybe around #4? Not sure) where you have to jump up, then skip up a ramp, then wallshot back to the door which is pretty much above the start. This confused me for a while as to what I was supposed to do, I was trying to double back through the hole between the start wall and the floor of the door area. Maybe I'm just retarded.

-- The one with a bunch of small surf ramps and mesh grates where you kinda jump down and around. I had no idea wtf to do, I ended up just setting up on each ramp and jumping off it to the next one, then standing on top of the last ramp and jumping to the goal.

-- The jump where you go up a diagonal stripe on one wall, then the other wall: I gave up after like 10 minutes. Dunno if I'm just bad, but I could not ever get the last jump back to the door, it's so fucking awkward to have to be moving quite fast to the left and then instantly jump to the right.

-- The jump immediately after the one described above, where you skip off little struts, is way too easy for where it is. Did it second attempt.

-- Skipping up small platforms while dodging pillars: fuck that. Another super difficult one.

-- Double into left-right walls up: again couldn't do it given a few minutes.

-- Walls with the > < to pass through between them -- tough.

-- Long U shaped jump with small walls -- the fuck. Are you supposed to tele double or something?

-- Last jump: Easier than a lot of the ones before it. The size of the gaps in those struts is kinda gay though.

Sync jump course:

Fuck this. All of it. I just had to laugh while noclipping through the last two, there's just no way.

Offline  CrancK
Rocketeer

ehh... what?
dude...
ohw wow.... thats soo many jumps i didnt expect anyone to have any difficulties with + wow.. none of the combo/sync course? that hard? cos like.. at least till after triple -> upstrafe isnt that hard.. is it?

-- The jump (maybe around #4? Not sure) where you have to jump up, then skip up a ramp, then wallshot back to the door which is pretty much above the start. This confused me for a while as to what I was supposed to do, I was trying to double back through the hole between the start wall and the floor of the door area. Maybe I'm just retarded.
-true that it may not be entirely obvious what to do... maybe ill add flying arrows to it or something...?

The one with a bunch of small surf ramps and mesh grates where you kinda jump down and around. I had no idea wtf to do, I ended up just setting up on each ramp and jumping off it to the next one, then standing on top of the last ramp and jumping to the goal.
-the one with the small surfs is just.. a jurf, and not hard.. cos like  you can easily overshoot the ending but ohwell

The jump where you go up a diagonal stripe on one wall, then the other wall: I gave up after like 10 minutes. Dunno if I'm just bad, but I could not ever get the last jump back to the door, it's so fucking awkward to have to be moving quite fast to the left and then instantly jump to the right.
-hmm, i could put it later, already placed it later then i put it originally though + it is one of the easier ones as far as strafing is concerned

The jump immediately after the one described above, where you skip off little struts, is way too easy for where it is. Did it second attempt.
-guess that's true, though initially a lot of people were having lots of problems with the struts being small

Skipping up small platforms while dodging pillars: fuck that. Another super difficult one.
-super difficult? wtF? thats like... not hard... ehh i think.. anyway...  :o

Double into left-right walls up: again couldn't do it given a few minutes.
-on normal course there are no doubles... i think (ofc you can do a double, but not needed)
and superhard... meh you can wallpogo it up so.. not that hard

Walls with the > < to pass through between them -- tough.
-yes thats what i think aswell, is why i put it so late in the course, even though its only 3 or 4 rockets

Long U shaped jump with small walls -- the fuck. Are you supposed to tele double or something?

-hmmm not entirely sure which one you are reffering to, but again, afaik no doubles needed on normal course

Last jump: Easier than a lot of the ones before it. The size of the gaps in those struts is kinda gay though.

-true, but they'll stay to make getting to other ending harder, since otherwise it'd be too easy
easier though? hmmm... i could put it earlier... hmmm

Fuck this. All of it. I just had to laugh while noclipping through the last two, there's just no way.

last one i've only done once fully, but since a11 it's like 100x easier, getting to endpart shouldnt be too hard and hell even if it is, final jump should be hard ^^

one before that though, isnt that hard.. just a bunch of doubles and one triple, and a little bit of strafing, think of it like that jump_momentum bonus jump, but with a triple and some strafing added

definitly thanks for feedback though :D

Offline  tordana
Rocketeer

Probably should have mentioned that of the ones I didn't complete after a few minutes they all seemed doable for someone of my skill level, just would take a while. And my skill level isn't terribly high -- most of the newer soldier maps (except sexydev) I only get about 2/3 of the way through. My feedback was more for relative difficulty than absolute. Any of the later jumps I didn't mention specifically should be moved earlier IMO.

The jump I described badly is shaped like an m and it's like right wall, left, off the back to turn around, left, to the end with a low ceiling. I'll take a screenshot tomorrow if that's still confusing.

The next to last sync just looked hard for the same reason the vendetta challenge is. Nothing terribly hard technically, just so damn long without room for error.

Offline  CrancK
Rocketeer

ehh... what?
dude...
The jump I described badly is shaped like an m and it's like right wall, left, off the back to turn around, left, to the end with a low ceiling. I'll take a screenshot tomorrow if that's still confusing.

ahh yes, i had "complaints" about that one before, i'll prolly make it easier, but i dunno how just yet

The next to last sync just looked hard for the same reason the vendetta challenge is. Nothing terribly hard technically, just so damn long without room for error.

definitly true, but also very fun once you make it across ^^

Maggot

an idea for a design:
go nature and make it fantasy - like flying rocks and stuff :P

question is: how far are you willing to go - detail wise? wanna create custom textures and mb models? or is it more like: tell me what single texture to slap on everything (aka beef)? wanna use displacements? static meshes? detail it at all? knowing a bit more in this direction might help people help you out there :P

Offline  hobbes
Maggot

I really like the map tbh.  But I think, probably just me, 3 and 4 should definitely be swapped.  Unfortunately I am a baddie and can only make it to like jump 8 or 9 so I dont have to much feedback for ya =(.

Offline  CrancK
Rocketeer

ehh... what?
dude...
blind, detailwise i'm like, wanting to texture it up a bit, and maybe add some details to spice it up a bit, but not too much, about the same as jump_around really (tho less displacements costhey suck for solly)

Pages: [1]
« previous next »

spirit Powered by SMF 2.0 RC5 | SMF © 2006–2011, Simple Machines LLC