Forums

Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Jumping off a flat surface without touching it  (Read 890 times)
Soldier

Not sure on the technical name of it, but the ones that I've tried have stumped me so far, Jump 11 on jump_beef, and 9 on jump_quba:

I understand the theory, and I managed to do the jump_quba one once, but I haven't had any luck since. I've come really close a few times but never done the jump_beef one.

Any tips? I could upload something to youtube if that would make it easier

Edit: Fixed screenshot link
« Last Edit: January 08, 2012, 10:30:56 AM by DavidTheWin »

Maggot

Picture isnt showing but i presume you mean a "skip" jump? Shoot at your feet just before you land to propel yourself on is pretty much the basics of it if that's what it is :)

Most maps have youtube videos of run throughs aswell so thats a good place to turn to if you're stuck.

Soldier

Weird, just gave it another go and I can do it semi-regularly :D

Edit: I can do it fine off the wall now, but there won't always be a wall, and I can't quite get the flat ground jump to give me enough speed, are there any "tricks" to getting more speed from a jump from flat ground?
« Last Edit: January 08, 2012, 11:49:11 AM by DavidTheWin »

Rocketman

Weird, just gave it another go and I can do it semi-regularly :D

Edit: I can do it fine off the wall now, but there won't always be a wall, and I can't quite get the flat ground jump to give me enough speed, are there any "tricks" to getting more speed from a jump from flat ground?

The thing about a quick speedpogo like that, is noting how fast you're going, and aiming slightly forward to compensate.  When you're travelling quickly forward and shoot straight down, by the time it hits the ground you'll be in front of it.  If you aim slightly forward and down, by the time it hits you'll be in a better spot for it to boost you, it's all about the practice.

As for starting without a wall, it's really all practice about finding that perfect angle behind you.  It tends to be a few feet behind you.  Just keep at it until you find an angle you like.

A thing to note though, you'll have a wall most of the time, the ones without the wall will generally be a little closer.

Soldier

I did manage it once on quba, but jump 9 on beef is still stumping me, you can't use the wall and the platform is about the same distance away as far as I can tell and the only difference is the longer drop at the end, I'll go give it another try though thanks

Offline  Matti
Fly

soar_a4 is out!
The main thing to concern yourself with when trying to do a skip jump is not the actual skip but the rocket you use to set yourself up for it. The skip itself is fairly easy when it's just a single skip, like in the jumps you've mentioned.

With the first rocket, you want to reach the skip with as little falling speed as possible, and if you can still be rising then even better. I can guarantee the reason you're failing the beef skip is because you're getting too much height from your first rocket so when you try to skip you barely go anywhere. Try to aim as far behind you as you can for the first rocket while still getting enough height to actually skip off the platform, aim straight down and you should make it.

The quba jump is probably a little easier than the beef, just make sure you're using the wall.

Hope this helps :).

Offline  Nerf
Maggot

The main thing to concern yourself with when trying to do a skip jump is not the actual skip but the rocket you use to set yourself up for it. The skip itself is fairly easy when it's just a single skip, like in the jumps you've mentioned.

With the first rocket, you want to reach the skip with as little falling speed as possible, and if you can still be rising then even better. I can guarantee the reason you're failing the beef skip is because you're getting too much height from your first rocket so when you try to skip you barely go anywhere. Try to aim as far behind you as you can for the first rocket while still getting enough height to actually skip off the platform, aim straight down and you should make it.

/thumbs up

If I may add.. the skip on beef requires you to try and stay as low as possible while going over the platform. The closer you can stay above the platform for the skip.. the better off you are at clearing the gap.

One thing you can try and do for some of these skips that require you to sail across large gaps ie. beef. Is when you are just about to skip, aim back a little bit to give that extra push. Sometimes this is needed.. but most of the time it is not. It just helps give you more forward momentum.

Soldier

I went back and tried both maps, can do them both relatively easily now! Thanks everyone :)

Pages: [1]
« previous next »

spirit Powered by SMF 2.0 RC5 | SMF © 2006–2011, Simple Machines LLC