Forums

Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: How about some tutorials, Demos?  (Read 4748 times)
Offline  Klanana
Rocketman

iT! Servers Owner
Team Spec Extraordinaire
We have content pretty much everywhere on the site now... EXCEPT under demo tutorials. Whats up with that? Any volunteers to throw a tutorial or two up there? They dont have to be long by any means (check out the soldier ones for example...) but it would be nice to get SOMETHING in there. I'm trying to advertise us a bunch on reddit (haters gonna hate) and people keep asking why we have no demo tutorials... so come on demos!

And if you send me a caber tutorial, I will chop off your fingers. Oh yeah and upvote this shit.

---------------------------

Jump iT - 64.74.97.15:27015 | JuJump iT - 74.91.113.66:27015 | Surf iT - 216.52.143.76:27015
Bball iT - 74.91.113.9:27015 | MGE iT - 74.91.122.39:27015

Offline  MIKE`
Fly

I could right a novel...

I wouldn't mind explaining things as best I can, but I don't really want to make a video  :'(

Offline  Raiin
Soldier

Kangaroo-izzle
Apparently, I'm a robot.
Yes ma'am! (You can remove this from the thing-a-ma-jig)

How to demo pogo! It is really the most important demo jumping technique, most other skills branch off of this.
Here is a video which explains most of it (Thanks to bob +M|M+):
www.youtube.com/watch?v=gw53la-oLdw Small | Large

Environment
First of all, let's get the environment right for a beginner. The best setup for a new jumper is to have a high ground with about a 1-2 second fall beneath it and flat walls along the side, jump_ice_v3 and jump_aznbob_fixed are good examples. (Thanks Dellort)

Rules
The basic rules of pogo are pretty simple and without them you will struggle to pogo at all, of course there are exceptions to these rules but for a beginner those aren't important; The rules are as follows.
Always crouch
Always shoot before detonating
Always have a sticky on the floor

Advice
I advise you to hug a wall while pogoing to get the timing of stickies down and then ween yourself off the wall slowly to work on control. Stickies have a slight delay before they become 'active', every sticky will 'flash' when it has become active roughly 1 second after shooting, after a while you wont need to watch the stickies for this flash as you will have the timing in your head.

Timing Stickies
Place your first sticky straight down onto the floor, remember to use the rules, shoot another sticky about .5 of a second before you want to use the first sticky; detonate the first sticky and then continue this shoot - detonate cycle and remember depending on your speed coming down onto the sticky you will have more/less height after detonating.

Controlling Movement
Hugging a flat wall helps by taking away 2 directions, assuming you hold A if the wall is on the left you will not be pushed right or left thanks to the trusty wall and the same goes for holding D if the wall is on the right. Controlling pogo without a wall is all about WASD, I personally like to follow that exact pattern when i get over a sticky, little circles in the air so i can be sure i am not going in any particular direction. While looking straight down and making sure the sticky is directly under you, you aren't likely to go flying too far unless you hit a wrong key or positioned yourself poorly above the sticky. Really it's about thinking where the sticky is in relation to you, if its behind and below, you will fly forward and up and you can simply hit S to be ready for the next push.

Once you pogo 5 times in a row, you can pogo infinitely and as you get better at controlling yourself you can move onto things like wall pogo and air pogo.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2012, 08:38:05 PM by Raiin »

Offline  MIKE`
Fly

This is the one thing I consistently see being a major cause of beginner/intermediate jumpers failures

Sticky Power/Control

Controlling the strength of your stickies (how far/high you go) is very important. Your momentum influences this on EVERY sticky you use. If you're travelling upwards, you'll gain more power out of a sticky. So when doing a basic sticky jump, you want to det IMMEDIATELY after jumping (if you want max distance/height). The quicker you det your sticky after jumping, the more power you get. On the other hand, if you're looking for more control, perhaps you don't want to go as far or as high, you will want to wait longer to det. Since the longer you wait, your jump will go from upwards momentum, to flat, then to downwards momentum. The more downwards momentum you have, the less power you'll get. This is very important for ALL demoman techniques.

Another factor is how far the sticky is away from you when you det it. The closer you are, the more power you'll get. When pogoing - you'll need to learn to judge this with your momentum to maintain good control. Maintaining a consistency is important, you don't want to be pogoing and having one sticky launching you very high and then the next barely moving you anywhere. You can always come to a balance within the use of a few stickies with good judgement of your momentum/distance away from the sticky when deting.

Knowing how your next sticky will affect you before you even det it is crucial for intermediate/expert/pro jumps. You need to know where your next sticky needs to be BEFORE you even need to shoot it to succeed at advanced demo jumping techniques (speed pogo, air pogo, efficiency jumps). Be one step ahead, always!

Offline  Klanana
Rocketman

iT! Servers Owner
Team Spec Extraordinaire
http://tf2jump.com/articles/category/6  BAM! Thanks guys lets keep em coming! And you dont have to go crazy and make videos or anything... just a nice, clear explanation and, if you can, a video on youtube that goes with the tutorial.

I think the demo tutorials will be extremely helpful to newcomers, especially since there are VERY few tutorials online compared to all the guides for rocket jumping. Thats why I had to come ask you guys to write them... I couldnt find any out there to use! Thanks so much again!

Jump iT - 64.74.97.15:27015 | JuJump iT - 74.91.113.66:27015 | Surf iT - 216.52.143.76:27015
Bball iT - 74.91.113.9:27015 | MGE iT - 74.91.122.39:27015

Offline  X_DIAS
Rocketman

The world is a cube
I think the demo tutorials will be extremely helpful to newcomers, especially since there are VERY few tutorials online compared to all the guides for rocket jumping.

Especially because newcomers don't know what demo jumping trully is
People always say that demo jump is super easy compared to soldier.........on contraire ma friend

Offline  dellort
Rocketeer

Video Maker Extraordinaire
I think the demo tutorials will be extremely helpful to newcomers, especially since there are VERY few tutorials online compared to all the guides for rocket jumping.

People always say that demo jump is super easy compared to soldier.........on contraire ma friend

what's so hard about left click right click

Rocketeer

The best thing would be a video with some airpogo and where the keys are displayed.

Offline  MIKE`
Fly

The best thing would be a video with some airpogo and where the keys are displayed.

An air pogo tutorial really would do practically nothing, with or without skeys. Air pogo just takes a lot of practice and patience as the timing window you have to react is so small from sticky to sticky, it's almost impossible to do it with any consistency beyond 4-5 stickies. This is why when people ask me and I say I can't really help, I'm being serious, not just an ass. To me, it's like trying to teach someone how to do a prefired rocket jump.

All air pogo is is aim and speed control. You aim to have your sticky be right beneath you for when you can det it, the other half is slowing yourself down enough (tapping your s key) from sticky to sticky so you aren't too far ahead of it when you det (the hard part).

It's never really consistent which is why you have to just practice a ton, so you know how to react to minor differences (raising or lowering aim slightly, tapping s a little more than normal) based on how the previous sticky affected you.

Offline  X_DIAS
Rocketman

The world is a cube

what's so hard about holding m1 or tap it from time to time? :p
at least as demo you use 2 buttons  :D

Soldier

i over use smiley faces...problem? *trollface*

so basically what you just said is that demo jumping and soldier jumping is incredibly easy?...if that's true why does this site even exist?

Offline  X_DIAS
Rocketman

The world is a cube
so basically what you just said is that demo jumping and soldier jumping is incredibly easy?...if that's true why does this site even exist?

i did not said that

Soldier

i over use smiley faces...problem? *trollface*

read through this carefully. :D 

Offline  X_DIAS
Rocketman

The world is a cube
ohh...right.....forgot to use a diferent font for sarcasm.....

Rocketman

read through this carefully. :D 

If you read through his properly, you'd note his response to dellort.  In his post he said

Which is how you'd dumb down and explain demo jumping. In which X_DIAS mockingly replied:

This is how you would dumb down and explain soldier jumping.  Overall general joking, nobody serious, no need to mention 3 months later that you dislike what he said.

Pages: [1] 2
« previous next »

spirit Powered by SMF 2.0 RC5 | SMF © 2006–2011, Simple Machines LLC