Forums

Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Fov mod on the MGE server  (Read 1744 times)
Offline  oaties
Maggot

I have played TFC for a long time using 120 fov, and I really cant stand 90 fov.  Thats part of the reason why I love the jump server (and concs :D).

Can you enable the FOV mod on the MGE server?  Its on the surf server, and it would be nice to have it for MGE as well.

Offline  dellort
Rocketeer

Video Maker Extraordinaire
It's not up to me but I think the reason why it's not there already is that some people use MGE to work on different aspects of their playing in an environment as realistic (to an actual game) as possible. If you start letting people mess with the FOV, other players who want to stick to 90 FOV (so it's consistent between MGE and outside of our servers) will probably start whining about the advantage a higher FOV gives.

Basically a wider FOV range will cause bitching.

Fly

Safe Word: Banana
I run this shit
It's not up to me but I think the reason why it's not there already is that some people use MGE to work on different aspects of their playing in an environment as realistic (to an actual game) as possible.

This is why we haven't installed the mod.

---------------------------
▮ TF2Jump.com Owner, Developer
▮ iT Lead Administrator

Offline  oaties
Maggot

It's not up to me but I think the reason why it's not there already is that some people use MGE to work on different aspects of their playing in an environment as realistic (to an actual game) as possible.

This is why we haven't installed the mod.

I really dont think 120 fov (the FOV I use) is a huge advantage over 90 FOV.  Its more of a preference thing.  I completely understand that many people use MGE to practice, but I feel that MGE also has the potential to be like jumping - people will MGE because they just deathmatch.

If you ever played TFC, you would know that there was a map named mulch_dm, where many people ONLY deathmatched as soldier, and there was mulch leagues.

Offline  Klanana
Rocketman

iT! Servers Owner
Team Spec Extraordinaire
I will talk to a few people who I know MGE a lot and see what they think about this... but I can completely understand dellorts point on people finding it unfair. The MGE server is just now starting to see a steady population regularly (which is awesome thank you everyone!) so a part of me is very nervous when it comes to adding additional mods as they could really turn off a lot of players. Hell I wasnt even going to have MGE on irc bc I was worried it would drive people away, but it seems to be fine so far (plus it lets jumpers/surfers know we have MGE).

So like I said I will ask a few people what they think, but since this is such a game changing mod I am leaning towards no at the moment =( Sorry

Jump iT - 64.74.97.15:27015 | JuJump iT - 74.91.113.66:27015 | Surf iT - 216.52.143.76:27015
Bball iT - 74.91.113.9:27015 | MGE iT - 74.91.122.39:27015

Soldier

Very carefully
the fact that tf2 doesn't actually have 120 fov makes this a bad idea in that mge is supposed to be realistic (lol)

I don't even see why you play this game when all you do is complain how it isn't tfc

Offline  oaties
Maggot

So like I said I will ask a few people what they think, but since this is such a game changing mod I am leaning towards no at the moment =( Sorry

I respect your opinion and decision, but I have to disagree with fov being a game changing mod.  I don't know if you play MGE alot, but MGE really isn't about awareness.  Its very simple to know where someone is jumping from or where they are going.  If fov was 120, it really wouldn't provide much of an advantage.

Also, with people being turned off by 120 fov...  On the jump server, I ALWAYS use 120 fov.  When people spec me, they always point out "How do you play with such a gross FOV?".  Personally, after using 120 fov for years in quake and TFC, I've grown accustomed to it and play my best with 120 fov. 

Most players from what I have seen see a higher fov as a hindrance rather than some crazy unfair advantage.  If you ever go on the jump server, you can see someone put in 120 fov for their own use, and then you can see tons of people trying random numbers like !fov 160 or !fov 20 until they finally go back to 90 fov.

Would it be possible to just put the FOV mod in as the aspect of it on JumpIt where you can type "/fov 120" and no one will see the chat message?

Offline  Klanana
Rocketman

iT! Servers Owner
Team Spec Extraordinaire
I spoke with a couple people who MGE frequently... and it was a pretty even split between not caring if it was there and do not add it. No one I asked said yes that they think it should be added. Some of the definite no's come from people who I know are extremely familiar with MGE play and such though... which makes me even more hesitant to add it.

We'll see if anyone else posts for/against it in the next couple days.

Jump iT - 64.74.97.15:27015 | JuJump iT - 74.91.113.66:27015 | Surf iT - 216.52.143.76:27015
Bball iT - 74.91.113.9:27015 | MGE iT - 74.91.122.39:27015

Offline  kforce
Maggot

Sorry, I know this post is late, but my 2 cents :P

Most people play MGE for dm practice, obviously, and usually because they compete in leagues.  Since leagues don't allow any fov mods, it wouldn't make any sense.

In fact, TF2 has gone to great lengths to prevent this.  For example, I used to run TF2 in a window at 1920x840 resolution.  This made my horizontal fov 120, while keeping the vertical fov capped at 90.  About 2-3 weeks ago they made an update that doesn't allow custom aspect ratios greater than about 1.88, so this isn't even possible anymore.  I used to play Quake at 120 fov (and in quake the fov is measured horizontally, not vertically) so that's why I ran that custom resolution.  Now, I play quake at 106 because that's the fov one gets when running a 16:9 resolution in TF2.  A 16:10 aspect ratio will give you about 100 horizontal fov, and a 4:3 is a horrible 90 something.

So in conclusion, the game designers want the game to look consistent for everyone, which is why they have gone to great lengths to not allow people to raise their fov or run custom resolutions.

Offline  CrancK
Rocketeer

ehh... what?
dude...
meh, don't need to care bout what valve thinks is good, me thinks...

(hats and all... unbalanced unlocks, not caring about certain bugs, not letting people mod in more speed, etc etc etc.... don't think valve is the guideline to take ^^)

Pages: [1]
« previous next »

spirit Powered by SMF 2.0 RC5 | SMF © 2006–2011, Simple Machines LLC