Forums

Poll

Question: Should there be a map timer for the JumpIt server?  (Voting closed: November 06, 2011, 03:38:54 PM)

• No, i like playing Quba for 6 hours.
    - 1 (7.7%)
    No, but reducing the number of people needed to RTV is a good idea.
    - 4 (30.8%)
    Yes, but it should be put to a vote after so much time (forced RTV?)
    - 7 (53.8%)
    Yes, force a map change after a few hours.
    - 1 (7.7%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Map timer for JumpIt?  (Read 1694 times)
Fly

Engie Jump Expert
It has been talked bout for some time now, should there be a time limit on how long a single map is played?  I've spoken with conductor, and his/her only problem with it would be someone has to impliment it...so, here for your voteing pleasure...

---------------------------

I like my coffee black, just like my metal.

Offline  Wolsk
Rocketeer

i love you
The third idea seems to work well on other jump servers, but I don't know about the fourth one...

(MY CLEVER JOKE NO LONGER MAKES SENSE.)
« Last Edit: November 01, 2011, 02:20:34 AM by Wolsk »

klanana:  I DID NOT EAT THE CAT
dellort: This mod is pretty cool, just wish the devs would fix the bug that allows MIKE to play on it.

Fly

Engie Jump Expert
I guess the 4th option is just an I don't care what map it is, just change it to something lol...polls close in 7 days, next Sunday.

Rocketeer

I think the third works for chillout zone. With an option to extend the current map.

Fly

Safe Word: Banana
I run this shit
A compromise would work quite well and I would be able to implement the fix this week.  As map time progresses the number of rtv's required to switch the map will drop, until after a period determined by the mod the number of rtv's is 1.  The required number of rtv's would not drop if less than 50% of the rtv's required have not been received.

▮ TF2Jump.com Owner, Developer
▮ iT Lead Administrator

Fly

Engie Jump Expert
I figure the timed rtv idea is really good, as is the compromise solution, as they allow for a vote to continue the current map.  I'm going to go ahead and let this poll run its course, unless I don't need to.  This has been a hot topic for some time, I would hate to have a change made if it wasn't ok with Klare of course.  It just seems that every time I log onto JumpIt, or the IRC, there are always complaints about the time a map has been on.

Offline  Klanana
Rocketman

iT! Servers Owner
Team Spec Extraordinaire
I actually do like the idea of the required number of rtv to decrease over time, but I dont think that will totally eliminate the 8 hour map sessions that are currently plaguing the server. So many randoms just join, stay for a bit then leave when they cant do a map... only to be replaced with a new random who will do the same thing. Even if one of them does rtv, the second they leave and someone new comes in their rtv is basically gone. This is what I think is creating these long maps right now.

I think having a decrease over time rtv system with the forced map vote after 2 hours (who the hell wants to play the same map for 2 hours anyways) would fix this. Of course if it hits the 2 hour mark, the vote should include an option to extend the current map, but if its an rtv there woujld be no extension.

Jump iT - 64.74.97.15:27015 | JuJump iT - 74.91.113.66:27015 | Surf iT - 216.52.143.76:27015
Bball iT - 74.91.113.9:27015 | MGE iT - 74.91.122.39:27015

Fly

Engie Jump Expert
I like the idea, I was just wanting to focus on the idea that with the timer/decreased rtv count that choosing to keep the current map would be an option.  Sometimes people want the same map for longer, and that's cool, but this at least gives people the chance to voive that when time is up.

Offline  Diddy
Rocketeer

I would think if it's not what redwine proposed, that 1 hour until a forced vote and be able to extend it 3 times for 15-20 minutes each would be best.  I think that even 2 hours is pushing the limit for the amount of time I can handle a map, even if it's like Ayers2 or Rook.

And about Redwine's proposed idea, I like the idea, but the serer doesn't really ever keep the same people for long.  Most of the time it's made up of a few regulars who might jump for a few hours at a time and then the rest are mostly people who hardly are ever in the server/ stay for 15-30 minutes then leave if they don't like the map.  So in the end only the regulars experience the insane map times and the others just leave.  So ya, pretty much what Klare said about it. 

I don't think trying it would hurt to at least try.  It wouldn't be possible to make it any worse than it already is.  It could turn out well, would never know until we tried it.

some people just shouldnt be aloud to have internet accesss

Fly

Safe Word: Banana
I run this shit

And about Redwine's proposed idea, I like the idea, but the serer doesn't really ever keep the same people for long.  Most of the time it's made up of a few regulars who might jump for a few hours at a time and then the rest are mostly people who hardly are ever in the server/ stay for 15-30 minutes then leave if they don't like the map.  So in the end only the regulars experience the insane map times and the others just leave.  So ya, pretty much what Klare said about it. 

Both of you misunderstand how the proposed model works, and the constant stream of randoms in and out would have no effect.  If any appreciable amount of rtv's remains constant for what is probably about 5 minutes, the required count will decrease.

A 1-2 hour maximum time limit seems to be favored with options to extend the current map.  We can implement a forced vote after a given time easily and include the periodic rtv adjustment to further ease any problems getting a map rtv'd off.

▮ TF2Jump.com Owner, Developer
▮ iT Lead Administrator

Offline  Drexen
Rocketeer

(quick, while the sites up)

I'm sure i've said this to admins/owners on jumpiT thousands of times about adding a map timer, imo the chillout server has a good setup, 1 hour per map, rtv can also extend the time by 10 mins (and keep extending forever if people want).

I'm tired of going on jump it and being stuck with a map for a whole day because nobody wants to rtv.

Soldier

Very carefully
The idea of forced cycles/forcing map changes every so often is horrible, but if there was an auto map vote every hour or so I don't give 2 fucks as long as it has an option to keep current map

Fly

Engie Jump Expert
See, the idea of an hourly vote is what most people I've spoken with want. It would solve the normal 5 hours of beef, some people gotta have that beef, and it would fix the new people comming and leaving so offten that it messes up the RTV count.  A very anoying problem I saw yesterday was on Devils Redo, it seemed like everyone wanted to RTV so I tried to rock it and saw we needed 3 more votes...there were only 2 people jumping lol, we needed more RTVs than we had active jumpers, of course there were 5 people in spec...it was just a dumb problem to have.

Offline  Klanana
Rocketman

iT! Servers Owner
Team Spec Extraordinaire
Watching the server sit on annex for hours today reminded me about this... so REMINDER

Jump iT - 64.74.97.15:27015 | JuJump iT - 74.91.113.66:27015 | Surf iT - 216.52.143.76:27015
Bball iT - 74.91.113.9:27015 | MGE iT - 74.91.122.39:27015

Offline  Zigzter
Fly

Put it in already. :<

(hurhur)

Pages: [1] 2
« previous next »

spirit Powered by SMF 2.0 RC5 | SMF © 2006–2011, Simple Machines LLC