Forums

Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Jump Mapping - Example jump creation  (Read 1774 times)
Offline  Drexen
Rocketeer

This tutorial will outline how I go about making jumps. Its mainly to show you how you should go about making jumps, rather than learning how to make them.

Step 1 - Work area

The simplest way to make jumps without worrying about leaks and lighting is to set up a basic room. I do this by first making a large skybox block and hollowing it, then making a spawn platform.

Second thing that needs done is some basic entities. I create a spawn point, and a light_environment entity to act as a basic light for my jumps (since I can't stand fullbright).

Oh, and since I hate the default skybox, I've gone and chosen one of the custom ones I have. You can change the skybox texture by going to map > map properties > skybox texture name, it'll be covered in more detail in another tutorial.

Step 2 - Essential stuff

With an idea in my head, I first of all create only the necessary geometry that is needed for me to test the jump.

Once the geometry is laid out, I quickly add in the teleports/regen and it's now time to test it.

Also, I have custom textures for my teleports/regens/hurts. For you you would use the trigger texture.

Step 3 - Testing

After compiling, I have a quick test to see how far I can actually get.

After only doing it one, I can easily see that I can jump much further than whats been made. Since its only 1 block I need to move to correct this, it only takes a second before doing another compile and testing it again.

Step 4 - Tweaking and finalising

After about 5 tests, I'm now happy with the distance. All that's left to do is add player clip so the jump can't be exploited.

That's it, although it's a really simple and unimaginative jump, it's finished, and shows the process I go through of making jumps. If I was then going on to detail this jump, I wouldn't bother with adding in the player clip. I would simply copy this jump into a map and detail it from there.

Offline  CrancK
Rocketeer

ehh... what?
dude...
1: what are all the entities needed just to compile a map? (info_player_start/team_player_start is needed at least i think)

2:i know it doesnt exactly belong in jump maps, but most have m anyway, so could you also do a tutorial for control points? cos everytime i tried making it, if i shot it ingame tf2 crashes, so im obviously doing something wrong

3:do you perhaps have some standard heights/distances for things? like... start platform height, if you want ppl to pogo off it.. or like.. average 1 rocket jump distance/height? or something, or just testing testing testing?

4: Very nice stuff :D gj on all the tut's so far

---------------------------

Offline  Drexen
Rocketeer

All thats needed is an info_player_start to act as a single spawn point, but as I said I also have a light_environment there because i hate fullbright.

I'll work on a quick control point tutorial now for you :)

Oh yeah, i'll add a section about scaling to the first block basics tutorial.

Maggot

I'm trying to emulate your skybox creation and running into trouble. I've hollowed out a big box and applied the same texture to it that you did. I didn't alter the skybox texture in map>map properties. I get no errors in compiling, but when I load the map, the skybox texture isn't there and it looks like this: http://i.imgur.com/LTmC9.jpg

Any idea why this is happening?

Offline  Wolsk
Rocketeer

i love you
I'm trying to emulate your skybox creation and running into trouble. I've hollowed out a big box and applied the same texture to it that you did. I didn't alter the skybox texture in map>map properties. I get no errors in compiling, but when I load the map, the skybox texture isn't there and it looks like this: http://i.imgur.com/LTmC9.jpg

Any idea why this is happening?
Post an image of the map in SDK from a few angles, and I can help (probably).

klanana:  I DID NOT EAT THE CAT
dellort: This mod is pretty cool, just wish the devs would fix the bug that allows MIKE to play on it.

Maggot

http://imgur.com/a/iPD04

Here's three images. Let me know if you need more specific shots.

Offline  Wolsk
Rocketeer

i love you
I see no obvious problems, so can you show the properties for the light_environment?

klanana:  I DID NOT EAT THE CAT
dellort: This mod is pretty cool, just wish the devs would fix the bug that allows MIKE to play on it.

Offline  Drexen
Rocketeer

looks like a missing skybox texture to me... looking at the hammer screens you've set it up correctly, but when you load the map it can't find the specified skybox texture, so it just shows the void.

try changing the skybox texture (map > map properties) to 'sky_hydro_01' just as an example.

Maggot

That skybox texture loaded! Thanks!!

Is there an easy way for me to make my own skyboxes?

Offline  Drexen
Rocketeer

Unless your pretty good at 2d art, no. If you are, then it consists of 6 images making up a net of a cube on the inside. You could always edit existing skyboxes, you'll need some software to extract them from the tf2 content files though.

Pages: [1]
« previous next »

spirit Powered by SMF 2.0 RC5 | SMF © 2006–2011, Simple Machines LLC