Forums

Pages: [1]
Author Topic: jump_who  (Read 1695 times)
Offline  House
Fly

A Doctor
It's a soldier jump map. I've been hammering away at it (no pun intended) on and off for some time.

There are doors. That's all that matters. I know you missed them so I brought back doors. There are a lot of doors in this map. I was just about this close to naming this "door_who" before I realized that nobody truly appreciates the art of doors as much as I do.

But in the end, don't hate the map, just hate everything but the doors.

And play this, if you want.

http://www.mediafire.com/?y6yaa91oly7i99ol
« Last Edit: August 23, 2011, 06:32:32 PM by House »

---------------------------

Soldier

I am honored

Offline  X_DIAS
Rocketman

The world is a cube
Bah.....still, i was hoping for more door action......

Offline  Klanana
Rocketman

iT! Servers Owner
Team Spec Extraordinaire
If this map isnt added when I get home at lunch I will add it for ya =D

Jump iT - 64.74.97.15:27015 | JuJump iT - 74.91.113.66:27015 | Surf iT - 216.52.143.76:27015
Bball iT - 74.91.113.9:27015 | MGE iT - 74.91.122.39:27015

Offline  Matti
Fly

soar_a4 is out!
Played the map and it was pretty fun, there's a fair bit I think you could improve on as far as the jumps go, though, so have some feedback:

Jump 1

- Good first jump.

Jump 2

- Jump wise this is fine.
- Be aware that the source engine can't render water properly on multiple planes which is why the water on this jump flashes and bugs a bit (it's not too bad though as you've only used cheap water).

Jump 3

- Cool jump :).

Jump 4

- This jump I liked the least.
- The playerclips over the walls really need to be shown a lot better (or at all really). After the double the natural thing to do is to try and cut the corner to the end, which means you bump into the playerclip and fail the jump. Not knowing how wide you have to take that corner is really irratating.
- The starting angle for setting up the double is really acute making it difficult to tell where the prefired rocket will explode and therefore when to jump.
- Going for a distance double off the floor doesn't work nearly as well as off a wall which is why it might be better to have to do the double off the wall on the left instead.

Jump 5

- This jump was fine. Nothing really wrong with it though nothing particuly great about it either.

Jump 6

- Pretty cool jump.
- Having to shoot the button first for me didn't really mean anything to me as I always reached the door before it managed to close, so I can't really comment about whether that's a good idea or not.

Jump 7

- Not sure I was doing this one right.
- I didn't manage to beat the jump once by just going for a perfect triple though I came damn close a couple of times.
- You can shoot of the roof (which is how I managed to beat the jump the times I did). Not sure if this is intended or not.

Jump 8

- I found this to be the hardest jump in the map.
- I like it simply because it's hard.
- The area at the end of the jump seems kinda pointless, and if you intend to keep the jump where it is in the map then I'd suggest taking this out as the jump is hard enough without it.

Jump 9

- The drop pogo is a bit lame but the end of the jump is fun.
- I think you need to give a bit better indication of where the tele is at the bottom of the wall pogo through a texture change on the wall or something as right now it's kinda hard to tell.

Jump 10

- This seemed pretty easy for being the last jump in the map, although I'm not entirely sure I did it the right way.
- That said it's still a fun jump.

Bonus 1

- I had no idea what to do on this - Ctap to double speedshot? 360 speedshot to double speedshot? Skip to double speedshot? Something else?

Bonus 2

- This is the greatest jump I have ever played (no joke).
- Getting those bounce jumps is so satisfying and it's cool you managed to innovate with them (never thought of going into a pogo from on myself).
- Also it's nice to see other maps using the bounce jump  :D.

Also, I died a couple of times in places. Adding a trigger_hurt over the whole map would fix this and wouldn't take long (just make sure the trigger hurt entity that the trigger brush is tied to is inside the map or you will get a leak).

Overall, a fun hard map  ;).

Offline  House
Fly

A Doctor
Thanks for the criticism, Matti. That'll really help. Lemme just reply a little bit to your concerns.

2: yeah, I was aware of the water, though i didn't really mind it. the jump was really what i was going for.
4: I really had to experiment with this one, and I'm glad you commented on this because this is one of the jumps I was concerned with. I've never had a problem with it, though I am the map maker. I probably should make the playerclips show more, I can't remember why I didn't, but I intend on making it obvious. I was also considering using the wall and that would probably be more effective, so I'll try that out. I'll try to fix this up and make it more appeasing, though I really appreciate the comments.
6: it used to be a lot harder but i wasn't going for something that was extremely hard. i just liked the idea of using a button but not making it too obnoxious. i rarely fail this one either.
7: i tried to use light_spots to make this obvious, but yes, you're supposed to use the ceiling. i've actually made it once without it but it was very lucky and i'm not gonna nitpick. you did it right.
8: i think you're right about that, and i'll take it out. i made the ceiling high but i probably should've put in regen.
9: i'm probably gonna make the tele a bit lower, i don't know how to indicate it exactly but it is a little high i admit, i don't think i need the tele that high to make it impossible to ground pogo it. i'll experiment.
10: if you did the double off the ceiling, you did it right, i recall a jump like that in your map so i'd expect you to be good at it. however, if you did it otherwise, i'd like to hear it so i can modify that.
b1: it's a triple, a really obnoxiously weird triple but i assure you it's possible. it's obnoxious.
b2: inspired by you. thought it was a cool idea so i decided to implement it with some more difficulty. can you tell me exactly where you died? i could've sworn i had regen throughout the whole jump.

Thanks, Matti. I appreciate the feedback.

Offline  House
Fly

A Doctor
http://www.mediafire.com/?y6yaa91oly7i99o

jump_who
changes:

3: tele fixed, nodraw fixed
4: easier, you can see the player clips, now it's a wall double, much easier to do
8: ending shortened, now just a double after the skip
9: wallpogo tele lowered drastically
10: side walls nullified, can't be cheated
b1: ending made longer so you don't have to do a perfect triple

thanks drex for textures, matti for b2's inspiration, and you guys for testing
hope you enjoy it to some extent

Offline  Raiin
Soldier

Kangaroo-izzle
Apparently, I'm a robot.
OOOOOOOO dooooooorrrsssssssssssssssss!
just before my overly complex cap will be a frenzy of non-stop doors opening and closing all around!
DOOOOOORORRROROROROSSOSSSSS!

everyone knows the meat of any map should be doors!
Looking forward to seeing this wonderful door map soon in about 5 mins :)

Maggot

This map is aD00Rable *tips hat*

Looks like lots of effort put into it, specced people playing it and it probably gonna be too hard for me but ill give it a shot later :)

Pages: [1]
« previous next »

spirit Powered by SMF 2.0 RC5 | SMF © 2006–2011, Simple Machines LLC