Forums

Poll

Question: You didn't not trust me enough to not send the money.

• You did trust me enough to not send the money.
    - 3 (50%)
    You didn't trust me enough to send the money.
    - 3 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Didn't not not.  (Read 488 times)
Maggot

Alright so, person A owes person B money. Person A didn't trust person B enough fully to send the money (just as a joke to see what would happen). Person B then says "you didn't not trust me enough to not send me the money". Person B thinks it translates to "You didn't trust me enough to send the money" and person A thinks it translates to "You did trust me enough to not send the money." Which is correct?

Offline  Diddy
Rocketeer

Well seeing as, "You did trust me enough to not send the money." doesn't really make a lot of sense, especially used in that context, I think it was supposed to mean, "You didn't trust me enough to send the money."  BTW, why would you not trust someone enough to pay them back even if you know you owe them money?  Where is the distrust?

---------------------------
some people just shouldnt be aloud to have internet accesss

Offline  Wolsk
Rocketeer

i love you
We can explain it in detail after the voting is done. :B

klanana:  I DID NOT EAT THE CAT
dellort: This mod is pretty cool, just wish the devs would fix the bug that allows MIKE to play on it.

Maggot

Well seeing as, "You did trust me enough to not send the money." doesn't really make a lot of sense, especially used in that context, I think it was supposed to mean, "You didn't trust me enough to send the money."
Well yeah, but, in my opinion, you can't just change the not to make it make sense. That's why I thought it would be "did trust me enough to not send the money" which is why this entire thing started, because it doesn't make sense.

Offline  Diddy
Rocketeer

No, depending on how you cancel out the negatives, you would end up with one of those two phrases.  Then from there I just chose the most practical of the two and the one I would expect someone would use.  And since it's, "DIDN'T NOT trust me enough to not (I don't really think this pertains to the first negatives) send the money", I would assume it would technically be "did trust me enough not to send the money."  But I mean if you think logicaly it's obvious that, "did not trust me enough to send the money", is what they meant when they said it.  So I didn't just base it on what I figured was meant when it was said.

some people just shouldnt be aloud to have internet accesss

Offline  Wolsk
Rocketeer

i love you
OH SHI-
A TIE.

klanana:  I DID NOT EAT THE CAT
dellort: This mod is pretty cool, just wish the devs would fix the bug that allows MIKE to play on it.

Pages: [1]
« previous next »

spirit Powered by SMF 2.0 RC5 | SMF © 2006–2011, Simple Machines LLC