Forums

Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Combine surf maps with jump maps  (Read 1030 times)
Maggot

Lets face it. Every jump has been done many times over and there is little room for originality left. So why not make a surf-jump hybrid map? It can be either:

1) Time-based: pass the obstacle/course in a certain time
2) Obstacle-based: just like normal jump maps
3) Something else altogether

I think it's time for something different. What say you?

Edit: Just read Raiin's thread. Seems Klana already brought this idea up.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2011, 08:57:47 PM by Applejacks »

---------------------------

Offline  X_DIAS
Rocketman

The world is a cube
And i've already told i'm working on it

but the surf is not the usual surf, cause you can do it without any air acceleration change, cause that way could make jumping unpratical.
It works more like the slides from trixxx and the usual ramps.
But gives a cool feel to it.

You'll see...

btw, already have 17 jumps'urfs
« Last Edit: May 17, 2011, 02:36:45 AM by X_DIAS »

Maggot

Yeah sounds awesome. Can't wait to see your map.

The aspect that intrigues me most about jumping is the speed, hence why I never bothered learning wallpogos. Hopefully jurf map or sump map or w/e it will be called will have more speed.

Offline  Klanana
Rocketman

iT! Servers Owner
Team Spec Extraordinaire
Yeah I think this is an awesome idea if it works - Jurf iT! in the making... im stoked for this applejacks thank you! Maybe retired mapmakers will be inspired and jurfing will be the new best thing!

Jump iT - 64.74.97.15:27015 | JuJump iT - 74.91.113.66:27015 | Surf iT - 216.52.143.76:27015
Bball iT - 74.91.113.9:27015 | MGE iT - 74.91.122.39:27015

Offline  X_DIAS
Rocketman

The world is a cube
Hopefully jurf map or sump map or w/e it will be called will have more speed.

Yes it does, but think about it
I can-t make really long surfing parts, cause with too higher speed you can-t really rocketjump
also, with just 1 or 2 surf ramps down when you jump you can-t go up, so it narrows down the possibilities

Maggot

Yes it does, but think about it
I can-t make really long surfing parts, cause with too higher speed you can-t really rocketjump
also, with just 1 or 2 surf ramps down when you jump you can-t go up, so it narrows down the possibilities

This brings me to a second point. Wouldn't this make the Direct Hit viable? With almost twice the speed as the normal Rocket Launcher, it might open up a different door. Now we have faster speed and faster rockets.

Offline  Hadokk
Rocketeer

Bball Server Filler Upper
Okay
This brings me to a second point. Wouldn't this make the Direct Hit viable? With almost twice the speed as the normal Rocket Launcher, it might open up a different door. Now we have faster speed and faster rockets.

Mind = blown

Offline  X_DIAS
Rocketman

The world is a cube

I'll do some tests :)

Offline  Raiin
Soldier

Kangaroo-izzle
Apparently, I'm a robot.
OK, time to poke holes in this.
Pros: 1. Jumps SEEM different
2. Jumps are longer (Not really a good thing...)

Cons: 1. Why cant i just use rockets on the surf or just use the side walls?
2. sv_airaccelerate is lower and you wont be doing anything that surf really depends on to be fun (flicks and strafe speed)
3. Jumps are longer....What is the point of adding a surf ramp that requires a specific speed to get to? Take out the surf ramp entirely and push the rest together and the result is the same.
4. ramps specifically designed to be pogo'd across (eg. jump_xelerate) can't really be reliable in the amount of speed you get coming off of it due to air accelerate being lower the mouse angle is much more important. Aim too far left and you'll be slowing down slightly as you go or aim too far right and slide off or not get the right height required

Yeah. I'm a party pooper.

Offline  X_DIAS
Rocketman

The world is a cube

As always :)

But, you have any other idea?

Offline  Raiin
Soldier

Kangaroo-izzle
Apparently, I'm a robot.
Yes. Beat the maps you can't do and then when you get bored of beating 'hard' maps, play dodgeball, surf, pub, pug, scrim and any other skill types around until you're terrible at jumping and then start jumping again.

I will call it, "The Rusting cycle"

Maggot

Raiin in a nutshell.

Soldier

Very carefully
Yes. Beat the maps you can't do and then when you get bored of beating 'hard' maps, play dodgeball, surf, pub, pug, scrim and any other skill types around until you're terrible at jumping and then start jumping again.

I will call it, "The Rusting cycle"

© 2011

Pages: [1]
« previous next »

spirit Powered by SMF 2.0 RC5 | SMF © 2006–2011, Simple Machines LLC