Forums

Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: How did you ultimately get into jumping?  (Read 2084 times)
Offline  House
Fly

A Doctor
I was never aware of TFC jumping, but way way back, early in my TF2 days, I stumbled across a server with the map, "cp_jumpspirit". It was a mediocre demo map with some frog in it and with some really poor regeneration and a way you could cheat yourself to the cap, but at the time, I was more amazed at the fact like a map like that existed. I'm a very determined person, so I ended up playing that map repeatedly until I beat it. Very intrigued, I ended up looking up these...jump maps. This was very early in TF2 jumping. There were very few maps that existed. There were the skyscraper maps (which some of you old jumpers may remember), and then there were randomly made solly maps (much MUCH easier than the ones we have today), and then there was jump_hobo and jump_bob. I started talking to bob, who made maps a lot more frequently then, while he was making jump classic "jump_hobo2". I asked him all about this jumping deal and he told me about its history and such.

I ended up getting addicted to these. I ended up barely playing the actual game to jump. It really became a hobby for me. It was a challenge, and I like challenges. Around the time, I had made my name as House. Back then, I was pretty good. Now, compared to you professionals, I'm decent, lol. I don't go around as House anymore, though. I'm Bematt through and through, so y'know.

But yeah, I started there and I took a few breaks from jumping to play the actual game, but I never stopped. I've made one map, jump_tsao, which I think everyone hated, but that's okay, lol.

But yeah, that's my story.

---------------------------

Offline  tordana
Rocketeer

I did a bunch of surfing in CS:S, always enjoyed the platformer-esque aspect to it. In TF2, I quickly realized that surfing sucked in this game, but in the process of this I was playing on a server that loaded up a jump map (one of those old, crappy skyscraper ones that bematt mentioned) in between surf maps. Got hooked on the jumping immediately, found servers (initially mostly J2 with a little bit of Jump iT, now only Jump iT) that specialized in jump maps.

I like to think I've gotten pretty decent at jumping, though rush will tell you I'm terrible, MIKE will tell you I'm a cheater, and klare will tell you I'm slow.  :P

Also, jump_tsao sucks.  :D

Offline  House
Fly

A Doctor
Also, jump_tsao sucks.  :D

I agree! But hey, I'm glad you're honest about it.

Offline  Klanana
Rocketman

iT! Servers Owner
Team Spec Extraordinaire
Slowdana.

Nuff said.

Jump iT - 64.74.97.15:27015 | JuJump iT - 74.91.113.66:27015 | Surf iT - 216.52.143.76:27015
Bball iT - 74.91.113.9:27015 | MGE iT - 74.91.122.39:27015

Offline  Matti
Fly

soar_a4 is out!
jump_tsao's not that bad, tbh it's one of the few demo maps I actually enjoy (ring being the other one and even that falls apart at the end).

That said, you did go a bit mental with the doors.

Soldier

Very carefully
didn't you make jump_housebeta

Offline  House
Fly

A Doctor
didn't you make jump_housebeta

Nah. That was a friend of mine who named it after me.

Also haha the fucking doors. Would you guys put on a new version if I just removed all the doors?

Because holy hell when I played it recently I'm like "what was I thinking with these freakin doors"

Offline  mixup
Maggot

A little history and also how I got into soldier jumping. I started gaming with quake 1 Team Fortress when I was just a kid. Some people ended up making maps designed to test your skill. We called them skill maps at the time ( not jump maps ). They were pretty difficult and used grenades and stuff and were really fun. I then got Team Fortress 2 in october of 2007. Usually was pubbing and then one day during a full server refresh saw different maps like skyscraper and some other really early jump maps that came out end of 2007-ish. Back then there was no save mod's, no auto regen servers. So it was really frustrating trying to jump to the top of skyscraper and fall all the way back down lol.. Anywho, been jumping ever since that day non stop :D

Offline  Daemon
Maggot

I saw a video by ww5003 of RJ Rocketeer and I wanted to try that ( my first jump map I ever tried) and I obviously sucked at it. Started practicing, and now I can almost make it.

Pages: 1 [2]
« previous next »

spirit Powered by SMF 2.0 RC5 | SMF © 2006–2011, Simple Machines LLC