Forums

Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Maps designed with speedrunning in mind?  (Read 206 times)
Offline  snufkin
Soldier

hurtme -9999999
So after trying out jump_orbital and seeing the speedruns of it I noticed how the map includes elements to it that encourage speedrunning (the ramp slides for example and it being continuous instead of using teleports in between jumps). I was wondering whether you prefer maps that are devoted to speedrunning, or maps that don't include any speedrunning elements at all, or do you prefer a mix of the two?

Offline  Rokio
Maggot

I think any map that doesn't have any speedrunning elements is just a bad map. Most maps will have some aspects, whether intended or not, that facilitate speed runs; but maps made with speedruns in mind will have the most replayability imo.   No one wants to crouch walk through a vent for 30 seconds or jump through minimum sized holes every time they do a run.  And no regen on long connecting corridors is pretty lame too.

After playing it a lot I think void is a good example of a balanced intermediate map.  Orbital was fun, but it's a little too easy/short.  On void, you could spend a lot of time getting a perfect run with all the potential strats in there.  Still presents some challenge and/or fun to good jumpers, and is difficult enough that newer jumpers can practice on it for a long time without worrying about speed.

Offline  X_DIAS
Rocketman

The world is a cube
  No one wants to crouch walk through a vent for 30 seconds or jump through minimum sized holes every time they do a run. 

orbital and grimace coming to mind

Offline  dellort
Rocketeer

Video Maker Extraordinaire
continuous instead of using teleports in between jumps

Continuous is good if it's set up like jump_void or jump_pizzanbeer, otherwise teleports are a better option. Spending half the run going through corridors and trying not to get caught on props is stupid.

Offline  The BQE
Soldier

Like that dumb thing hanging from the ceiling after orbital #8 (?). 

Pages: [1]
« previous next »

spirit Powered by SMF 2.0 RC5 | SMF © 2006–2011, Simple Machines LLC