Forums

Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Jump_Hajnal  (Read 1304 times)
Offline  Drexen
Rocketeer

dont worry about the maxplane count, or any of those % limit values at the bottom of the compile
Seriously drexen? lol

Ya, those limits on the bottom of the compile are just soft limits, most of them are fine going over 100%, i think maxplane count is one of them

Offline  QuBA
Soldier

Ya, those limits on the bottom of the compile are just soft limits, most of them are fine going over 100%, i think maxplane count is one of them

You responded to a thread where a map wouldnt compile because it went over the max_map_planes limit :D
So yeah, you cant go over that one.

Offline  Hajnal
Maggot

On jump2, I think the depression in the walls are quite unnecessary and makes it harder than it should be, add playerclip/nodraw or just make it square/rectangular

This was intentional, the point of that jump is have controlled shots in the marked areas. I am by no means a good jumper (I'm terrible for that matter) and this jump doesn't pose any sort of problem in terms of difficulty

As for jump12... The ramp bumps you up when you're going fast, I find this tends to happen when you make the ramp out of multiple brushes

Understood, will fix.

On jump13 you can stand on the first wallpogo wall.

just realized the I hadn't checked the client flag for the tele, fixed

As said... Add trigger_hurt around the entire map, no one likes to die after failing a sync and dying from fall damage or killing themselves rocket jumping to the next jump. Yeah one can use gboats but for one not eveyone has gboats, some don't like to change their loadout presets (like me) and it takes about 2 minutes to do and makes a map more jumping-friendly.

Added

Overall, fun and well-detailed.

Replies in bold, thanks!

Very nice map, looks awesome. plays well.

Thank you.

About some of the mapping stuff thats been talked about here already:

dont worry about the maxplane count, or any of those % limit values at the bottom of the compile
looking over the map, i would agree a trigger_hurt is needed, just one large brush covering the whole map is perfectly fine, its very easy to kill yourself at some points, and most people expect them.

Okay, the only reason they hadn't been added was because I was doing them with triggers in each jump, which bumped my max plane count considerably. I come from a different engine where having a trigger set up like that is blasphemy.

and about optimization, from a quick look over the map with mat_leafvis 2, doesnt seem like you use func_details. which are really useful! should cut down your probably large vvis compile time.

Strange, more than 70% of the map are set as func detail.

"but it seems that probably wont be happening considering all the engine limits I hit."
what specific engine limits? you could definitely add way more jumps into this map without too much trouble.

Lightmap limits and more importantly, the max plane limit which is at 97% right now. It shouldn't be that high, but I'm used to modeling in third party programs like 3dsMax, where grid alignment is a non issue. Obviously Source doesn't take to kindly to this.

either way, awesome map

Thanks! Replies in bold.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2013, 03:34:21 PM by Hajnal »

Rocketman

No tears now; only dreams
pls add trigger_hurts everywhere kthx

---------------------------

Soldier

pls add trigger_hurts everywhere kthx

Offline  X_DIAS
Rocketman

The world is a cube
because yes

TF2 Rocket Jumping - jump_hajnal_finalbeta Small | Large

Offline  Hajnal
Maggot

Very cool run, thanks for the video X_DIAS. The song reminds me of an artist who's album I used to name my jumps, Venetian Snares.

In other news, I'll get to fixing this later, I already started something else ::)

« Last Edit: September 18, 2013, 03:42:24 AM by Hajnal »

Offline  Drexen
Rocketeer

OOHH MAN.

i've been wanting to make a map with the theme of the mirrors edge dlc maps for years. looking great!  ;D

Offline  Nightin
Fly

Very cool run, thanks for the video X_DIAS. The song reminds me of an artist who's album I used to name my jumps, Venetian Snares.

In other news, I'll get to fixing this later, I already started something else ::)

fucking HYPE

Rocketeer

the skybox is the limit
pressure's on now, don't disappoint :)

Offline  Hajnal
Maggot

I CAN'T HANDLE THIS

but more importantly packrat/vide/anything else that's supposed to pack custom files is being stupid and not working.

help pls.

Fly

Hi

I CAN'T HANDLE THIS

but more importantly packrat/vide/anything else that's supposed to pack custom files is being stupid and not working.

help pls.

I had problems packing things too.  I found a tutorial on tf2maps.net that really helped (I used VIDE).  If you get super stuck and can't figure it out, add me up and I'll see what I can do.

Offline  Hajnal
Maggot

yeah pls help I'm clueless.

Offline  Shunix
Soldier

Awooooo!
yeah pls help I'm clueless.

you have to do the pakrat stuff manually now

---------------------------

Offline  QuBA
Soldier

you have to do the pakrat stuff manually now

No you dont.
Just dont put your custom stuff into tf/custom/somefolder/materials etc. and use tf/materials etc. and packrat will find it.

Pages: 1 [2] 3
« previous next »

spirit Powered by SMF 2.0 RC5 | SMF © 2006–2011, Simple Machines LLC