Forums

Pages: [1]
Author Topic: I've Plateaued  (Read 344 times)
Offline  Sevin
Maggot

I've been rocket jumping for about a year and a half now. I've got all the basics down and am trying to get better. A friend of mine showed me [this](http://forums.tf2jump.com/index.php/topic,2201.0.html) jump map page that puts all of the current jump maps into "Beginner", "Easy", "Medium", etc. categories, and I've been going through some of them to improve. Unfortunately, in the last couple months I feel like I've hit a plateau. I know the concepts of most rocket jumps, but for some reason I can't execute them consistently. I've known about and done syncing for over a year, yet I still will only time them right 10% of the time. I can barely pogo at all, Muselk's challenges that he posted on here looked like a lot of fun but I can't pogo through even 1/3 of Upward. Wall jumping is especially difficult for me, I can never go very far or fast with them. To put all that in perspective, I completed jump_adventure a few weeks ago, which is under the "Easy" heading on that site. Watching people do jumps on TF2RJWeekly is really awesome to watch, but when I go out and try, I fail miserably and it's very discouraging.

Is there something someone can suggest for me to do for help? Rocket jumping is one of the most fun things to me in this game, so I really want to get better. If anyone wants the particulars of how I strafe during wall jumps etc., just post below and I'll respond.

I can also record a demo and send that to you if you'd like to see me jump.

TL;DR - I have hit a plateau in my rocket jumping and can't get better, what can I do?

Soldier

hey welcome,
the learning curve will get lower if you get better because you must learn to be consistent and thats just practice!!!
nothing else then practice practice and practice.
this wont help you that much but its the truth.

Offline  Torii
Soldier

Whirlwind "Torii Hurricane"
Blindly jumping won't get you very far, so really focus on your aim (where you shoot rockets) and your keypresses while jumping. For example, be conscious when you're pressing D while doing walljumps (You normally press it after shooting a rocket), whether or not you're holding Crouch the entire way, etc.

There's not much individual style in jumping, so aiming/keypresses are mostly the same, the only real noticable individual characteristic being the smoothness of a person's mouse movements which really doesn't matter at all.

As for syncs, syncs are very dependent on ping, assuming you're playing in a server where you have a stable ping, or playing offline, start with syncs where you can look up at incoming rockets (the jump on pagoda is a good place for this) and get a feel for when you should rocket jump based on the distance the rocket appears to be from your point of view (or you can grind jump_sync).

If you're not using "cl_interp 0" and "cl_updaterate 66", I recommend it, although you can jump perfectly fine without it.

Finally... Jumping takes a whole lot of practice, eventually you'll come to a point where everything comes naturally.

This taught me quite a bit when I was starting out, especially wallpogo
TF2 rocket jumping: the ultimate tf2 rocket jumping tutorial I HD

happy jumping~

---------------------------

Offline  Sevin
Maggot

Thanks to both of you for the responses! I've recorded a short demo on ayers2_a8 to give you a general idea of where I'm at. It's about 5 minutes long. If you guys have any maps that you want to see me do, please tell me.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/z22wfg09uf8rkhg/quote.dem

Torii, I'll definitely try to be conscious, I think you're right that I just do it without thinking about it. I get discouraged pretty quickly too because of how easy Aurora and Raiin etc. make it look :P

I guess I feel like I've been practicing for quite some time, derdotte, that's why I'm discouraged. I feel like I should be consistent by now, but instead I can't land more than a few speedshots or skips and can't sync etc.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2013, 09:35:53 AM by Sevin »

Maggot

i know that feeling ! even though i´m a mediocre jumper one of the things i found out it helps imo, is taking a break, it worked with me, stop jumping for like a week or more and then comeback, can´t make a jump ? practice a bit and if u can´t do it just go to other map, and return to that jump the next day and practice on it a little more, don´t spend countless hours stuck on the same jump
i used to go on chillout too and record the pros jumping with skeys and rewatch the demos a bit slow down with host_timescale, watching adrian cheat through the maps like that is amazing ;D
also jumping offline it helped me a bit too, no disctractions, no people spamming in chat or pm´ing you every minute, better to concentrate
just keep practicing and have fun
just my 2 cents
« Last Edit: September 14, 2013, 09:49:50 AM by mousiope »

Offline  Sevin
Maggot

That's a good idea, mouse, I'll go record some and try to disect what they're doing.

Offline  tordana
Rocketeer

IMO the easiest way to learn syncs is to learn how to do them from the floor.

The timing is always the same for a double from the floor (jump from the ground, 2 on the wall, reload 1, fire to set up the double, do the double) and then always the same out of that into a triple (again, 2 up the wall after the double).

I can do a double like that 100% of the time without having to look at the rocket coming back down.

Then you can just adjust the timing to the individual jump.

---------------------------

Offline  Hadokk
Rocketeer

Bball Server Filler Upper
Okay
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2765833

As torii said, if you're not using cl_updaterate 66+ (I think it's even 100 on chillout) and the other settings from the link up there, you should at least try them. I had jumped for over a year with standard settings and was somewhat consistent with syncs, but when I used those settings it just became so much easier, especially with triples+.

Offline  Sevin
Maggot

Yeah, my update rate is 100 as well as my cmdrate. That's a good idea Tordana. Is there any map you can think of off the bat that just has a huge wall I could use to practice?

Pages: [1]
« previous next »

spirit Powered by SMF 2.0 RC5 | SMF © 2006–2011, Simple Machines LLC