Forums

Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Speedshot help  (Read 951 times)
Maggot

So, how does the angle/timing of speedshots change as you have more momentum, or approach the floor at a higher/lower angle? Or does it change it all, and it's always "shoot straight down just as you hit the ground"? Also, how frame perfect of a trick speedshots are? As in how much there is room to mess up but still get a successful speedshot?

Jump 17 of jump_sexydev inspired to create this thread as it can be very troublesome to me at times. I'm very inconsistent with it, and not sure why. This is where my initial questions come relevant. There's quite a bit of momentum going on, and I can't seem to figure if I should adjust to it by shooting a little earlier or something.

edited bonus question: does flicking your mouse up right after a speedshot have any effect on your momentum?
« Last Edit: August 26, 2013, 12:58:33 PM by Pehtoori »

Rocketman

No tears now; only dreams
Ok let me draft out my observations about speedshots. There's a reason imo that 17 on sexydev in particular is tricky. I've noticed it too.

1. The faster you move, the harder speedshots are. Pretty obvious and noticeable. Your question about how frame perfect speedshots have to be is unanswerable imo because of this mechanic.

2. The higher the height you fall from, the harder speedshots are to do. This is why 17 on sexydev is tough I think. There's the same thing on hopstep and klanana. The speedshots where you have a fair amount of vertical speed downwards are inconsistent (if not inconsistent, then at the very least it's a different timing). I find these speedshots from a height are done easiest by pre-firing kinda, like a few feet before you land (rather than shooting right as you land). Even-floored speedshots on the other hand are easiest by shooting right when you land.

3. The lower you aim (as in straight down) rather than higher up means you'll go faster and lower to the floor. A speedshot with your crosshair farther out in front of you will make you go higher and slower. It's up to you to judge where to aim, and it's something that comes naturally with practice. Generally though, if you're going pretty fast, a speedshot while aiming straight down will make you go too low to the ground and probably will make you fail whatever jump you're doing. When stringing together lots of speedshots (like 5+) you should aim higher and maybe tap S occasionally (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CvV1DXgdA-8 for reference). It'll be way more consistent.

4. Ping doesn't really affect one's ability to speedshot. With or without ping, it's actually about the same as when you'd shoot, I find. It's just that with more ping your playermodel doing the speedshot after shooting will be more delayed.

« Last Edit: August 26, 2013, 02:55:45 PM by Afterglow »

---------------------------

Fly

((|Crayola|(>
Imo speedshots are the most inconsistent technique for me (other than edgebugs and bounces and poop) most days i'm fine with them but others I have trouble landing em.

Tic's previously owned dog

Maggot

Thanks Afterglow! That post answered all my questions thoroughly. Gotta keep on practicing!

Also a bonus question came to my mind after you mentioned ping:

Are there any techniques which become vastly different (be it easier or harder) in local servers vs. normal servers with 40-50ish ping? I don't really like jumping offline, it feels a lot different than on regular jump servers. Sync timings at least seem to change a bit. Do the timings change a lot in general when playing locally? I'm mostly interested in how it affects ctapping, I can do quite consistent in ctaps on my regular jump server but when I try them offline, I can't seem to get them as consistently.

Rocketman

I can do quite consistent in ctaps on my regular jump server but when I try them offline, I can't seem to get them as consistently.

Same here.  I'd imagine it's because with something as small as a 15-16ms window to properly ctap, that 50-60ms is worlds of difference in timing. Gotta hit the keys sooner than used to as your crouch is registering instantaneously.

Rocketeer

the skybox is the limit
Thanks Afterglow! That post answered all my questions thoroughly. Gotta keep on practicing!

Are there any techniques which become vastly different (be it easier or harder) in local servers vs. normal servers with 40-50ish ping? I don't really like jumping offline, it feels a lot different than on regular jump servers. Sync timings at least seem to change a bit. Do the timings change a lot in general when playing locally? I'm mostly interested in how it affects ctapping, I can do quite consistent in ctaps on my regular jump server but when I try them offline, I can't seem to get them as consistently.

Syncs are made much harder with ping. From my own observations, ping seems to make the rocket appear to come from farther behind you when you shoot it; i.e. when falling straight down to do a triple, you'll have to wait longer after you pass your first rocket before you can fire your second if you have higher ping. However, this doesn't actually change where the rocket is, so when you're standing on the ground watching your rockets fly at you, you'll have to be prepared for them to hit you before it looks like they've actually hit you. I can't think of any reason as to why ctaps would be affected by ping, but I could be wrong.

Soldier

Hi

Syncs are made much harder with ping. From my own observations, ping seems to make the rocket appear to come from farther behind you when you shoot it; i.e. when falling straight down to do a triple, you'll have to wait longer after you pass your first rocket before you can fire your second if you have higher ping. However, this doesn't actually change where the rocket is, so when you're standing on the ground watching your rockets fly at you, you'll have to be prepared for them to hit you before it looks like they've actually hit you. I can't think of any reason as to why ctaps would be affected by ping, but I could be wrong.
are they? i dont find a differenence between a ctap with 250+ping from a ctap with 15 ping

Hi

Rocketeer

the skybox is the limit
are they? i dont find a differenence between a ctap with 250+ping from a ctap with 15 ping

Me neither, but I don't ctap most jumps.

Fly

As long as your ping is steady the actions you input will report in correct sequence and timing so a steady ping won't effect it.  However if your ping fluctuates than you will have problems obviously.  The biggest issue I find with ctap is frame rates and those changing, the more people on the map the weirder things get and harder it is to do things.

Soldier

m3thskiLL
I find lag has absolutely no effect on ctap timing and I ctap almost every single jump, even when my ping is spiking its not a problem.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2013, 04:45:34 PM by wonderland »

Maggot

So, how does the angle/timing of speedshots change as you have more momentum, or approach the floor at a higher/lower angle? Or does it change it all, and it's always "shoot straight down just as you hit the ground"? Also, how frame perfect of a trick speedshots are? As in how much there is room to mess up but still get a successful speedshot?

Jump 17 of jump_sexydev inspired to create this thread as it can be very troublesome to me at times. I'm very inconsistent with it, and not sure why. This is where my initial questions come relevant. There's quite a bit of momentum going on, and I can't seem to figure if I should adjust to it by shooting a little earlier or something.

edited bonus question: does flicking your mouse up right after a speedshot have any effect on your momentum?
I'm decent at speedshots/speed pogo and I can give you a few tips to help you be a little bit better at it. First, you want to be approaching at the shallowest angle possible; avoid dropping straight down if you can. The faster you are going, the more you need to look up and the earlier you need to shoot but generally you want to shoot where you are going to land before you've landed there (if that makes any sense). The reason why looking straight down just as you are going to land doesn't work is because of your forward momentum. By the time the rocket you just shot perpendicular to the ground reaches the ground, you would have flown well past it, and this effect is more noticeable the faster you are moving.

Remember to be always holding crouch and don't subconsciously let go of the crouch button, otherwise you will mess up your jumps. Assign the crouch button to a key that is more comfortable to you if you need to.

Maggot

Tip: Sexy dev 17 - Wallshot at eyelevel and prefire the speedshot earlier than you would think. It's basically a single rocket sync.

Pages: [1]
« previous next »

spirit Powered by SMF 2.0 RC5 | SMF © 2006–2011, Simple Machines LLC