Forums

Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Brush limit and how to fix  (Read 215 times)
Offline  CrancK
Rocketeer

ehh... what?
dude...
Hey peepz,

I'm still making jump_rvr and i'm running into the problem of having too many brushes MAX_MAP_BRUSHES.
(was kinda hoping it would act the same as ldr lighting, as in i can go over 100%)

Now, i already found out that if i make walls into displacements they dont count as brushes, so at the moment i can keep on going with just that....

However... im only halfway done so far, and i doubt that trick will work till i finish completely,
so what else can i do to reduce brushcount?

I read on some other forum about "propper" or something? a tool that creates models out of brushes? anyone have any info on that or other things i could do to reduce my brushcount, pls tell me... I NEEEEEDS it

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

« Last Edit: August 18, 2013, 05:58:50 AM by CrancK »

---------------------------

Offline  QuBA
Soldier

Now, i already found out that if i make walls into displacements they dont count as brushes, so at the moment i can keep on going with just that....

I would assume that displacements still count as vertexes so I dont think that will get you very far, if they dont that would be awesome though. The problem with propper is that you get shitty lighting cause props only get vertexlit and dont have lightmaps genereated for them. Maybe it would kinda look good if you subdivide your model into oblivion but I cant imagine that having no downsides either^^

Also if you ever run into problems with going over the vertex max increasing lightmapscale can help cause then vbsp doesnt split your brushes quite as much.

But yeah theres no way around those limitations, just gotta deal with them.

Offline  Yami
Rocketeer

Make less jumps.

Offline  CrancK
Rocketeer

ehh... what?
dude...
pfff less... the map runs perfectly ingame cos all jumps are seperate rooms, it's just some arbitrary limit in the code

imma gonna make jump_101 again one day... non detailed, but should be possible then !

as for rvr, i'll likely leave 2nd course mostly with the same brushes as is, and make some more displacements, then make the freestyle room bigger, and hopefully stay under the hard-limits

and to quba: true dat, vertexes             46988/65536      563856/786432   (71.7%) , so that would fill pretty darn fast, but still i can at least exchange a bit more brushes for vertices, and do a little bit more with stuff
(tho also not sure those displacements actually count toward that)
« Last Edit: August 18, 2013, 07:00:37 AM by CrancK »

---------------------------

Offline  Thomas
Maggot

Dreams are
Check out some gmod RP maps, I know that a lot of them reached them and used tricks to get around them, like evocity 2

Pages: [1]
« previous next »

spirit Powered by SMF 2.0 RC5 | SMF © 2006–2011, Simple Machines LLC