Forums

Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Is it a waste of time using The Original while learning to jump?  (Read 833 times)
Offline  Honster
Maggot

I understand that there is a preference for stock.

I personally really like the center fire the original has for non-jumping stuff and also knowing exactly where my rocket is and its trajectory at any given time. It just seems a bit mentally simpler to me i guess.

Im at the point where id really like to be able to finish something other than baby maps in a reasonable amount of time and i just want to be sure my practice is actually helpful. Consistency is a huge issue for me and i feel like switching between stock and the original is not only slowing down my shitty pace even more but may be making me worse with the other launcher. (for example, just starting to 'get' very simple downpogos with stock then doing maps with the original the next day)

I find that im generally very bad with larger wrist(or arm? whichever its supposed to be) movements, so i figured the original could even help that issue by forcing me to go further than normal. Starting upward horizontal jumps off the ground feels almost like its permanently mechanically gimped using the original and im not sure if i should be using S to start the jump or not. I recently was using it on the last jump of annex blue, which i cant just blast through without any effort normally either, but was failing miserably to even start the skip properly.

I been using 6.5 inches per 360 for a while now(which is more than whatever i started out using), lower might be more comfortable but the precision of my aim is already horrendous. I would have thought i'd have gotten better arm/wrist movement by now, but i still find myself sliding my mouse way over before certain strafes or even occasionally picking up the mouse during a jump. Ive tried greater inches per 360 but my mouse stops tracking when i do faster sweeping motions.

Is it dumb for me to be using the original. Assuming using the original to learn and jump in general is fine i can chug along with some extra hiccups, cause i do like it more, but if its just mechanically inferior ill switch back to stock because getting better is more important. Thanks for any input.

Offline  CrancK
Rocketeer

ehh... what?
dude...
original/stock is preference mostly

i use original, cos im more used to centerfire from other games (just like fov 125)

Just stick with either stock or original and you'll be fine, they can both do the same things, they just have to aim slightly different.

Also.. dont use s to start a jump, cos that means backward and i have no idea how you'd get in a position where backwards would be benificial to your start jump

You do already know that while in air you nearly only use a and d, right?
On ground you can use w, or when doing wallpogo up/down and some other minor cases, but  generally a and d are enough for jumpers in nearly every case

---------------------------

Offline  Exile
Rocketeer

Couldn't think of something clever to put
Use whatever you feel more comfortable using

@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Offline  Honster
Maggot

original/stock is preference mostly

Also.. dont use s to start a jump, cos that means backward and i have no idea how you'd get in a position where backwards would be benificial to your start jump

You do already know that while in air you nearly only use a and d, right?
On ground you can use w, or when doing wallpogo up/down and some other minor cases, but  generally a and d are enough for jumpers in nearly every case

Yea, i know about a/d and not using W. What i mean when i mention using S with the original, is to a get a fast start off the ground for a jump like annex blue 20 i feel like i have to turn around pretty much completely to get the same rocket placement as stock when standing 90 degrees and using A to start my jump. (that is, the rocket exploding right behind you) The correct angle to start some/a lot of jumps seems to choke me up far more than actually doing stuff like wallshots after ive gotten a bit of speed with the first jump. Slowly pogoing on the floor or across walls is kinda weird too compared to stock, but not significant. <_<

Use whatever you feel more comfortable using

Hah yea, if i didnt like the original for normal play that would probably be stock because its what i learned/learning on when i first started doing jump maps.

Soldier

Everything is preference but like crank said in some cases the other weapon can be easier.

I tested around 100 hours with both weapons before i decided to choose the stock.

My experience with the original is more about the movement you have to aim sometimes really far behind you, to make a jump or adjust a lot more while wallpogoing.
A lot easier were jumps where you have to get into something like a hole, just because you dont need to adjust with strafekeys/aim.
left wall jumps are as easy as right walls because you have to turn completly the same amount.

I played quakelive and i really like the original but in tf2 it just doesnt help that much if it is centered while acutally playing tf2.

The stock is more comfortable with the right shoots because you can shoot around edges what can be helpfull.
walljumps and normal jumps seems to be easier because you dont have to turn that much.
wallpogo seems for me way easier with the stock (but thats because i am used to i think).

most important is that you stay with your choice you can learn to jump with both weapons but usually you cant do both perfectly because of the muscle memory that is used for consistency.
stay with your weapon thats all :)

Fly

I was under the impression that the original is limiting to your potential with jumping.  As you don't get the same push on right walls.  I read on here that there are some jumps out there you can't do with the original is this true?  I'm not advanced enough to know, but I have read that here from some pretty reputable jumpers.

I would love to switch to the original since I have a lot of trouble aiming slightly left in other game types like bball, DM and MGE.

Offline  Torii
Soldier

Whirlwind "Torii Hurricane"
From my experience of changing between the original and the stock a whole lot, it really doesn't make much of a difference in jumping except for certain techniques (wallpogo...) and can mess you up at times with wallshots, speedshot timings, etc (skills that have any kind of reliance on the rocket spawn origin).

As for regular play, I have better aim with the original, but because I jump a lot more than I play regular, I'm with the stock for the most part. Also, if you have too used to the original you might not be able to play classes like huntsman sniper, flare gun pyro or demoman at your fullest potential.

I suggest to not keep changing like I do (or did), it's terrible when you break your muscle memory and have to re-learn it again. Stick with what you like and you should be fine.

I still have no idea how to wallpogo with the original though.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2013, 10:18:22 AM by Torii »

Rocketeer

Stock > Original because sound

Maggot

Personally, just use whatever works for you. The stock RL is on your right shoulder, so turning to the right is easier at the expense of rocket jumping on your left harder. The Original would be the best of both worlds in this sense.

Offline  Wolsk
Rocketeer

i love you
I use the Original because I love the Original.
I pretty much only use stock for jurfs.

klanana:  I DID NOT EAT THE CAT
dellort: This mod is pretty cool, just wish the devs would fix the bug that allows MIKE to play on it.

Offline  Honster
Maggot

Took me a few days to iron it out, but i think im gonna stick with using what feels more natural for jumping even though i do like the aesthetics and centerfire mechanic of the original. Ill just have to suck it up and learn to airshot with stock. <_<

Thanks for all the help guys.

Offline  snufkin
Soldier

hurtme -9999999
it is preference
but you do go further with the rocket launcher and higher with the original
« Last Edit: August 21, 2013, 09:27:35 AM by baobab »

Offline  Wolsk
Rocketeer

i love you
you do go further with the rocket launcher and higher with the original
No.  No you don't.  It's all about the angle.

klanana:  I DID NOT EAT THE CAT
dellort: This mod is pretty cool, just wish the devs would fix the bug that allows MIKE to play on it.

Pages: [1]
« previous next »

spirit Powered by SMF 2.0 RC5 | SMF © 2006–2011, Simple Machines LLC