Forums

Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: What Separates TF2 from Other Shooters?  (Read 880 times)
Offline  Krocket
Maggot

Easily Surpassed
After playing almost every valve game, so many FPS', and too many indie games to count they just bore me. What is it about TF2 that makes people who like it just never stop? People have been playing since it came out on Oct 10, 2007 and just haven't stopped.

For me personally it's how customizable it is. It's very unique in terms of scripting and skins. Not to mention all the things you can do with demos and SFM. If you get bored of something there's always something else.

---------------------------
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Rocketeer

Also, you can fool around, and not everyone gets mad. It is not a super-serious game. So it's good for relaxing and having fun ith friends.

Offline  CrancK
Rocketeer

ehh... what?
dude...
well for me, it's just that there haven't been any good fps games coming out after it anymore, and hell even tf2 isnt all that "good", because i remember in the beginning being like: "oh, this might bide the time till something cool comes out" ^^

but ye, i stay for community, modding/mapping and jumping, though i'd likely go to another fps if something good comes out

Offline  X_DIAS
Rocketman

The world is a cube
Too bad warsow died before it was born......

Offline  CrancK
Rocketeer

ehh... what?
dude...
warsow tried to mix oldstyle techniques together then hope to god it works out, which it didn't

+bhop isnt the ultimate form of movement, the idea behind it (ie maintaining momentum) is a good start, but especially the implementation of it DESPERATLY needs a revision.

TF2 in that regard is an oddity, because while it doesn't have bhop, it does have very good aircontrol mechanics and very powerfull explosives, which make it very interesting for jumping, but makes said jumping unlikely to be used in a real game, which is sad :S

Also tf2 is one of the few if not the only fps that mixes old + newschool relatively well, although i personally dislike most of the newschool additions (like 2weap limit, 1 ammotype, less movement options, and such)

+ the whole being the first proper fps to go f2p, in a way which is truely f2p... which very few other f2p games can say, you know.. bizarro hateconomy ftw i guess ^^

Offline  Krocket
Maggot

Easily Surpassed
I played probably 20 hours of Warsow and absolutely loved it. As you said the game was dying though :/

Offline  Tom
Maggot

though i'd likely go to another fps if something good comes out

Reborn should come out 'soon' I have no idea (im stupid) which will hopefully be good as the developers (2GD and other quake oldschools) are saying they are putting a large emphasis on movement and physics w/ CPM like movement. Although there hasn't actually been any screenshots or in-game stuff which isn't a good sign...
« Last Edit: July 11, 2013, 03:25:00 PM by Tom »

Rocketman

Reborn should come out 'soon' which will hopefully be good as the developers (2GD and other quake oldschools) are saying they are putting a large emphasis on movement and physics w/ CPM like movement. Although there hasn't actually been any screenshots or in-game stuff which isn't a good sign...

Where'd you hear 'soon'? I havn't even heard of alpha builds or anything other than 'yes, were making it', it's been in development for a relatively short time.

Offline  Tom
Maggot

Where'd you hear 'soon'? I havn't even heard of alpha builds or anything other than 'yes, were making it', it's been in development for a relatively short time.

I heard that the engine is quite far along (they talked about how the movement feels really good so...) but yea I guess I should change that, probably wont be for at least 6 months. Im stupid

Offline  X_DIAS
Rocketman

The world is a cube
looking for that thou

Fly

life aint all, sunshine and rainbows
no class apart from sniper can be found in another fps the rest has different attributes to any other fps' class

Intel(R)Celeron(R)CPUG550 @ 2.60 GHz --- 12.0 GB RAM
Asus NVIDIA GeForce GT 640 2GB Graphics Card
x64 Bit

Offline  duppy
Fly

I think the fact that it's free and has the ability for people to make money from it is what helps draw a lot of people to it.  Also, there's the customization, frequent updates, support of the community, fairly good balance of weapons/classes, doesn't take itself too seriously, low computer specs required to play....etc. etc....it has a lot of good things going for it, and not many bad things.

For me personally, free + customization + trick jumping is what keeps me playing :P

Offline  Exile
Rocketeer

Couldn't think of something clever to put
rocket jumping

@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Offline  CrancK
Rocketeer

ehh... what?
dude...
Tom, i'd love for reborn to be good, to be 2 good even

but i seriously doubt it, since they started with the quake physics and built from there, and are using some pro (old) q3 and cpma players as early design testers, somehow.. i doubt they'll go in a direction which i think is forward, somehow i'm very afraid they'll go warsow/xonotic/nexuiz/whatever and go sideways or maybe even backward instead of forward

+ indeed, no news in ages = bad news

Soldier

bball
i was pretty much quitting tf2 before i found bball

i play bball often

Pages: [1] 2
« previous next »

spirit Powered by SMF 2.0 RC5 | SMF © 2006–2011, Simple Machines LLC