Forums

Pages: [1]
Author Topic: "RJ" - by RJ  (Read 683 times)
Offline  RJ
Maggot

Hey all,

Here is a short video of some jumps that I did today.

I know they might not be the most impressive, but I felt like making a video-log style for my jumping.

I really enjoy speedshots and pogos--not so much the syncing. ;3\

"RJ" - A TF2 Jump Video - By RJ

Enjoy. :)

--RJ

Rocketeer

the skybox is the limit
Be warned: The last person who mentioned making jump videos as a log of their personal improvement promptly vanished from the internet after his second video and was never heard of again.

On a more serious note, your jumps could be a bit cleaner. Less hitting corners, less sloppy speedshots, less jumping without looking like you really know where you're going. Some of the jumps in this movie look like you were just holding mouse1 and seeing where it would take you. If you notice in a lot of jump movies, once a jumper has finished a jump, he'll look back at the jump he just did (which serves as a nice mental endpoint to any freestyle jump). Also, use POV demos for firstperson clips; it looks a lot more natural and you get to keep the red pain markers.

Offline  RJ
Maggot

Be warned: The last person who mentioned making jump videos as a log of their personal improvement promptly vanished from the internet after his second video and was never heard of again.

On a more serious note, your jumps could be a bit cleaner. Less hitting corners, less sloppy speedshots, less jumping without looking like you really know where you're going. Some of the jumps in this movie look like you were just holding mouse1 and seeing where it would take you. If you notice in a lot of jump movies, once a jumper has finished a jump, he'll look back at the jump he just did (which serves as a nice mental endpoint to any freestyle jump). Also, use POV demos for firstperson clips; it looks a lot more natural and you get to keep the red pain markers.

First off, thanks for the warning. I think I'm going to continue doing these, but I don't know which jumps I'll be doing.

You are sort of correct on the "holding Mouse1" thing -- I just hit up my own private server and said "Oh, I think I could speedshot that...pogo that..." and whatnot. It took me a while to hit some of those egypt jumps, though.

I guess I was going more for a "proof of concept" type of thing more so than a "I'm going to land in this specific spot" thing, if that makes sense.

I know I have a lot of things to improve on, and I think I'll keep at it. :D

Thanks for the response!

--RJ

Offline  snufkin
Soldier

hurtme -9999999
nice jumps, but the only really creative jump I saw was the last one which was really impressive. just try and tighten everything up for next time and maybe think of some more different kinds of jumps.

Offline  Torii
Soldier

Whirlwind "Torii Hurricane"
Pretty much what Stimpack said.

You should plan out the jump first before you do it, ask yourself whether it's possible or not and test run it a bit before recording.

Hitting corners is absolutely terrible, it irks me to see it in a jump movie and personally I would've just redid the jump. Looking like you know where you're going is very subtle, but usually if you plan out a jump and do it that way people can tell.

Editing-wise, vary your jumps more, as in the first half was cp_egypt the entire time, mix it in with the other maps.

---------------------------

Pages: [1]
« previous next »

spirit Powered by SMF 2.0 RC5 | SMF © 2006–2011, Simple Machines LLC