Forums

Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Tip for fixing strange leaks caused by hurt/regen/teleport entities  (Read 440 times)
Offline  duppy
Fly

Got a strange leak even though you swear you've been good about staying on the grid while making all your jump map's bsp geometry?  Did you make huge trigger_hurt, func_regen, or trigger_teleports surrounding an area? Does the error maybe looks like this?

Code: [Select]
**** leaked ****
Entity trigger_hurt (5632.00 -7552.00 896.00) leaked!

FindPortalSide: Couldn't find a good match for which brush to assign to a portal near (11776.0 13312.0 3616.0)
Leaf 0 contents:
Leaf 1 contents: CONTENTS_SOLID
viscontents (node 0 contents ^ node 1 contents): CONTENTS_SOLID
This means that none of the brushes in leaf 0 or 1 that touches the portal has CONTENTS_SOLID
Check for a huge brush enclosing the coordinates above that has contents CONTENTS_SOLID
Candidate brush IDs:

Here's a screenshot of where the actual error is:
(Note: I photoshop'd it to highlight bsp geometry in green and the trigger_hurt in orange/brown)

In the screenshot, the trigger_hurt is selected (displayed with a red and yellow dashed line).  Notice its center point (displayed as a red circle, outlined in white) is sitting outside in the void...this is what causes the error.

To fix it, all you need to do is make sure that the center point of that entity is inside your map and not touching the void.  So an easy solution is to just make the trigger_hurt a bit bigger until its center point is inside the hallway shown in the screenshot:

...or you can be a little cleaner about things and make the trigger_hurt fit exactly inside. 

You don't have to make it fit perfectly, but always make sure your entity's center point is inside, and not touching the void.  In the Hammer editor 3d view, if you have "Show Helpers" enabled, you'll see the center point as a purple sphere, and in the 2d views it will show up as either an 'x' or an 'o'...pay attention to those when creating entities!

BTW, the screenshots above are from a decompiled version of jump_nbn_b4b (a demo map).  I was trying to figure out why this map had no lighting (aka fullbright), and eventually found that the BSP geometry was perfectly fine, but it had a lot of huge trigger_hurt, func_regen, and trigger_teleport entities that surrounded large areas.  Once I moved the center points of those entities inside, the map compiled with no leaks.  Now I'm adding lighting, but since it's not my map, I'm not sure I'll spend much time making it look better, or if I'll bother to release it.

EDIT: I've noticed that it's not actually the center point (the 'x') that has to be inside your map, but if the entity has an "Origin" property, it's the 'o' symbol must be inside, and its 'x' center point can be outside in the void if you want.  Click spoiler below to see a picture of it.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 06:58:45 PM by duppy »

Pages: [1]
« previous next »

spirit Powered by SMF 2.0 RC5 | SMF © 2006–2011, Simple Machines LLC