Forums

Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Scout + Force a nature maps?  (Read 771 times)
Maggot

EDIT: beforehand, this is probably in the wrong section, should be in the general general section, not the one I put it in lol.

Okay I was playing TF2 yesterday, jumping around as a scout and remembered the good old days of Unreal Tournament and its 'bunny track' game modes that consisted of complex jumping and obstacles. I remembered how I used to make BT maps, so I said 'hmmmm' and looked up how to make TF2 maps. Skip ahead 5 hours and I'm in hammer editor making various platforms and testing how high I can make the scout jump and how far he can go. 5 more hours and I found out there was a rocket jump game mode already popular, I googled and 3 seconds later I registered to this forum. 5 minutes later, I type this sentence and want to know, why only rocket jump levels? My first thought at skilled jumping would be the scout and his force a nature to triple jump. Anyway, in another few hours I'll post a prototype scout jump CTF level and you guys can be a scout and tell me what you think. Is it hard enough, stuff like that.

Also first thoughts on the forum: The captcha to sign up for this thing was the hardest captcha I've ever seen, I refreshed it at least 50 times, I thought it was gonna ban me. Also also, I've never actually tried jumping around as a solider, I'm gonna join the server and try it out! As you could guess I havent had TF2 for more than a few weeks, but I'm getting there!

EDIT: map is done, its my first map so textures are just random and nothing special:

http://www.host-a.net/u/Dooms_day/ctf_bt_forceanature2.bsp
« Last Edit: January 20, 2011, 05:26:51 PM by shellc0de »

Soldier

I like your enthusiasm, but honestly no one really does scout jumping very seriously. There is no bunny hop in tf2 so even sorta making it like cstrike bhop isnt possible without a server plugin and even then... not really as fun as soldier and demoman jumping. I highly suggest learning to soldier or demoman jump and if your interested in working on a map, make one for one of those classes.

Also check out some of the youtube vids on how to jump and of ppl running through some of the jump maps and youll get a better idea of how stuff works and all.

EDIT: Also a few of the more popular jump servers have a plugin that allows scout and other classes to use 'conc' grenades. They are like the tfc conc nades.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2011, 07:39:04 AM by drwhooo »

Offline  clf
Maggot

jump_fanboy and jump_illuminum were two maps designed for FaN jumping. They are not possible anymore, though, since Valve changed the way the FaN works.

If you are making a scout map, then maybe you should design it around conc jumping? I think regular scout maps are boring and jumping with the force a nature is not fun anymore.

Maggot

I played some rocket jump levels and yeah they are pretty fun and challenging, but I'll probably make one more bigger FaN map just because theres a bunch of things i wanted to do but havent figured out yet such as moving obstacles and such. Also if you try my map (in OP) its actually pretty challenging, none of my friends finished it in a reasonable ammount of tries.

In other news, I start working on a rocket jump map today!

Soldier

Interesting idea with the intel capping on your lil scout map. Personally not really my style of map, i never really got into bhop either and it sort of has that feel to it a little. Looking forward to see what you come up with for solly/demo :D

Pages: [1]
« previous next »

spirit Powered by SMF 2.0 RC5 | SMF © 2006–2011, Simple Machines LLC