Forums

Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Virtual Dub i guess?  (Read 986 times)
Fly

((|Crayola|(>
From what i've found from scoundering the interwebs that virtual dub is the best way to convert the .tga files from "startmovie tf2JumpOP" into a .avi but whenever I import them into vdub and turn it into an avi file the video is still extremely laggy and i can't seem to sync the audio correctly. Is this due to me being dumb like usual or am I not using the correct compressing tools? ??? Well if anyone has some tips/guide/video on this topic it would be greatly appreciated! And I know that other people get confused and have the same question as me for i've been trying to put together some clips but I can't understand how to fix this currently. And no I don't want to just record it with FRAPS b/c i know some people will suggest that... And last I'm just planning on using camtasia to throw the vids together to edit which I've grown fond to. Help much appreciated ::)

---------------------------
Tic's previously owned dog

Rocketman

No tears now; only dreams
Don't use camtasia, the video quality is not that good, even on the highest settings. Render time is fast as hell but bad quality. My jump map tutorials for reference are rendered out with camtasia. Use sony vegas instead or some other better video editing program. Camtasia is specifically meant to be used for tutorials, has a really simple UI, and not a lot of video editing capabilities.

As for virtual dub, open the first tga. Then hit Ctrl+R and change the framerate to whatever you recorded at.

Like if you recorded at 480 fps:
http://gyazo.com/df8e8e7935d2f163da58cdca4838decf

To add audio, click the audio tab then audio from other file, then find the corresponding audio file to the tgas

For shorter clips the audio/video should sync fine. Audio will be desynced (it will be shorter than the video track) for longer clips (anything greater than a minute I'd say). In vegas at least, this is fixed by just slow mo'ing the audio track to the same length as the video track. The avi from virtual dub won't be playable in a standard video player. It'll also be super laggy in camtasia too, since the program just can't handle the massive file size due to the uncompressed avi. It does still render though, even though it's super laggy. Vegas is capable of playing it, though it will still be a bit laggy depending on the fps and size (720 or 1080), as well as your computer's capabilities.

Soldier

The program you use to play back the .avi has a limited amount of your computer's memory available to it. Since the .avi isn't compressed you can get files of like 4gb size for small amount of gameplay which won't all fit in your memory so the program has to deal with loading the back end of the file into memory whilst removing the front end all whilst trying to play the file at the FPS you recorded at. Some video playback programs also handle higher FPS better than others. KLite Media Player Classic doesn't do as well with 60fps .avi files as Windows Media Player does for example.

If you do the final render of the file using something easy like Windows Movie Maker then you can see that the filesize drops to like 100mb and is perfectly smooth on playback.

Offline  dellort
Rocketeer

Video Maker Extraordinaire
Don't use camtasia, the video quality is not that good, even on the highest settings. Render time is fast as hell but bad quality. My jump map tutorials for reference are rendered out with camtasia. Use sony vegas instead or some other better video editing program. Camtasia is specifically meant to be used for tutorials, has a really simple UI, and not a lot of video editing capabilities.

As for virtual dub, open the first tga. Then hit Ctrl+R and change the framerate to whatever you recorded at.

Like if you recorded at 480 fps:
http://gyazo.com/df8e8e7935d2f163da58cdca4838decf

To add audio, click the audio tab then audio from other file, then find the corresponding audio file to the tgas

For shorter clips the audio/video should sync fine. Audio will be desynced (it will be shorter than the video track) for longer clips (anything greater than a minute I'd say). In vegas at least, this is fixed by just slow mo'ing the audio track to the same length as the video track. The avi from virtual dub won't be playable in a standard video player. It'll also be super laggy in camtasia too, since the program just can't handle the massive file size due to the uncompressed avi. It does still render though, even though it's super laggy. Vegas is capable of playing it, though it will still be a bit laggy depending on the fps and size (720 or 1080), as well as your computer's capabilities.

No... add the audio first then match the video and audio durations. The tf2 source recorder has a recording error of about +-5% when it comes to frame rates, so even if your video is supposedly 480 fps it might range anywhere from about 460-500 fps.

Offline  Scotteh
Fly

¬_¬
1. combine tga's in vdub (use the match fps option in the video settings), render out uncompressed avi
2. edit in vegas and render out uncompressed again
3. use megui or handbrake to encode in h.264

that's always been my process for vids. dunno if there's a better way these days or not. like dave said it's completely normally for uncompressed avi's to lag. just encode them with a playable format (use h.264 pls) and it'll be good.

Offline  duppy
Fly

Just curious...if you're recording 1080p video uncompressed at 480fps, how much hard drive space is that taking up?!  If I attempt to do the math, that's nearly 3 gigs a second:

1920 * 1080 * 3 (24-bits) = 6,220,800 bytes (5.7 megs) per frame...
multiply that ~6 megs by 480 and it's 2,985,984,000 bytes, about 3 gigs.

How long to fill up a terabyte?...
1 terabyte = 1,099,511,627,776 bytes, divide that by the ~3 gigs above and you get about 368...that's about 6 minutes of video per terrabyte....jeez...and that's without the audio.

Maybe my math is wrong, but you guys must have some serious hard drive space is you're recording uncompress HD video at 480 fps.  I'm guessing you only use it for the parts that require smooth slow-motion though, right?

Rocketeer

Just curious...if you're recording 1080p video uncompressed at 480fps, how much hard drive space is that taking up?!  If I attempt to do the math, that's nearly 3 gigs a second:

1920 * 1080 * 3 (24-bits) = 6,220,800 bytes (5.7 megs) per frame...
multiply that ~6 megs by 480 and it's 2,985,984,000 bytes, about 3 gigs.

How long to fill up a terabyte?...
1 terabyte = 1,099,511,627,776 bytes, divide that by the ~3 gigs above and you get about 368...that's about 6 minutes of video per terrabyte....jeez...and that's without the audio.

Maybe my math is wrong, but you guys must have some serious hard drive space is you're recording uncompress HD video at 480 fps.  I'm guessing you only use it for the parts that require smooth slow-motion though, right?

Only crazy people record at 480. I just record at 60 fps. Takes shorter in virtual dub, and I dont have that many space. Also, because I edit it on my laptop and not on my computer, I put it in h264 and then put it on my laptop, it take a little bit too long to get several GB to my laptop.

Rocketman

No tears now; only dreams
JOTW is always 960 fps, tort has like 2 tb+ I think... ROTW is always 480, sometimes 960 if it's a short one. Yea it takes up a LOT of hard drive space. All about dat quality. Fun fact: Naf records his 3rd person shots at 960 fps, and his 1st person clips in 240. Also, 720p reduces the size of the tga's by like, half. The worst part about editing tf2 vids are definitely the extremely long recording/render/encoding times though, not the lack of hard drive space. I do most of that overnight though, so no big deal.

Honestly you guys should see what it's like having the original mp4, before youtube. The quality is pretty much smoother than in game. Shame that youtube degrades quality so much, but it's always been that way.

And dr heinz is right, you don't need that much fps tbh. I could record at 240 and it would still look great. The vids on my own channel are pretty much all 120 and a few 240 fps for some speedruns.

Soldier

Honestly you guys should see what it's like having the original mp4, before youtube. The quality is pretty much smoother than in game. Shame that youtube degrades quality so much, but it's always been that way.

I always look for a 60fps download link because seriously Youtube? 30FPS? It's 2013, get with it

Fly

((|Crayola|(>
I finally just got around to reading your posts, thanks for the help! and when using scotteh's 3steps, handbrake is much simpler than megui. Last question though, when uploading to youtube is it best to upload it via sony vegas, or straight to youtube, any other silly way or does it not even really matter?
« Last Edit: May 05, 2013, 05:30:24 PM by Jake the Dog »

Tic's previously owned dog

Soldier

I finally just got around to reading your posts, thanks for the help! and when using scotteh's 3steps, handbrake is much simpler than megui. Last question though, when uploading to youtube is it best to upload it via sony vegas, or straight to youtube, any other silly way or does it not even really matter?

I'd go straight through youtube personally to skip any extra stuff that might get added through third party uploading. E.g. exporting from twitch adds your stream name and uploading replays adds your steam profile, not that those are necessarily bad.

Pages: [1]
« previous next »

spirit Powered by SMF 2.0 RC5 | SMF © 2006–2011, Simple Machines LLC