Forums

Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What's the Best Key Configuration?  (Read 997 times)
Maggot

hello everyone, i just joined this site

i know the ideas and techniques behind most jumps, but i cant seem to replicate most of them with any consistent results, is it my keyboard settings?

i still use the default controls and CTRL for crouch seems really awkward considering how important it is... and when i'm practicing, should i just disable W all together? i have a bad habit of holding it almost constantly

p.s. i'll be off to bed after i post this so goodnight!

Soldier

First welcome to our community!
Now key bindings are just how you want them i know some guys that use mouse 2 for jump and ctrl or shift for duck. its your preference. I use shift for duck and spacebar for jump. And some competitive jumpers are using duckjump script.

holding w was a big habbit from all of us but you can practice it go on jump_quba jump 3.1 there you have to strafe so you wont press w anymore after you got it maybe 10 times. A tip from me go demo and maybe go jump_trix and just do double (or with jumper triple) sticky jumps and try to strafe around.
Dont disable W in jumping you will need it ;)
Last point is what everybody of us can say you PRACTICE AND PRACTICE!
there is no way around it.
Watch some videos some tutorials and try to understand do it like they did.

have fun

Offline  snufkin
Soldier

hurtme -9999999
and if you're having trouble with jumps, experiment!

Soldier

And some competitive jumpers are using duckjump script.

The good competitive soldiers know that scripts are a crutch.

As for rebinding crouch, my advice is to place your fingers on wasd and see where your little finger lies naturally. For me it's the \ key, it's a little smaller than CTRL but I don't miss it at all since my finger never really needs to move from there.

Offline  Torii
Soldier

Whirlwind "Torii Hurricane"
Well, I mean, you need to walk forward so...

As for rebinding crouch, my advice is to place your fingers on wasd and see where your little finger lies naturally. For me it's the \ key, it's a little smaller than CTRL but I don't miss it at all since my finger never really needs to move from there.

What the shit, they're on opposite sides of the keyboard.

Anyway, I have my crouched rebinded to Shift, more natural if you ask me compared to Ctrl, it's mostly preference though.

As stated above... Please don't use a script for rocket jumping, you won't learn how to vary your rjs in different situations using them. Practice a whole lot and you'll get certainly get better, whenever it feels like you'll never get it, take a break and come back to it.

---------------------------

Rocketman

Well, I mean, you need to walk forward so...

What the shit, they're on opposite sides of the keyboard.

This is the ISO layout, which is common in the UK.

Maggot

thanks for the tips everyone! and i'll check out those maps too

Offline  duppy
Fly

I wonder if anyone uses the default binds, which, according to config_default.cfg is:

Code: [Select]
bind "w"            "+forward"
bind "s"            "+back"
bind "a"            "+moveleft"
bind "d"            "+moveright"
bind "SPACE"     "+jump"
bind "CTRL"         "+duck"
bind "MOUSE1"    "+attack"
bind "MOUSE2"    "+attack2"

That's gotta be painful.

As for getting rid of the habit of holding 'W', I think for me it went away once I learned to start rocket jumps with the 'A'  key.  You walk forward with 'W', but then switch to 'A' key while swinging the camera behind you, followed by jump+duck+shoot...then you're in air-strafe mode using just 'A' and 'D' to steer and correct your flight path.   Holding 'W' is still valid, but it's generally when you're very close to a wall and directly facing it, like going from a pogo to a pogo wall climb.

Offline  X_DIAS
Rocketman

The world is a cube
Hum....for jumping yes, i use default keys

Rocketeer

the skybox is the limit
I use default too, including ctrl for crouch

Maggot

slightly default ....MWHEELUP jump and mouse4 duck...works fine 4 me

Offline  duppy
Fly

Heh, with CTRL key for duck, my pinky finger is like curled up under my hand, and I'm pretty much using the top of the finger nail when pressing.  No idea how someone could do that, especially when holding duck is done so often.  Maybe your keyboard is different, or you have smaller hands, I dunno...totally doesn't work for me.

Offline  Wolsk
Rocketeer

i love you
I want someone to suggest a key configuration that is super different from default (that people still use).
I want to re-learn how to play TF2 because I have such horrible habits with the default key configuration.

klanana:  I DID NOT EAT THE CAT
dellort: This mod is pretty cool, just wish the devs would fix the bug that allows MIKE to play on it.

Rocketman

I want someone to suggest a key configuration that is super different from default (that people still use).
I want to re-learn how to play TF2 because I have such horrible habits with the default key configuration.

A medic on a plat team I was on used to use ASDF as attack1, left, backwards, right, GH for jump and crouch, mouse1 for forward.

You want to play as dumb as that? Have fun.  Alternately, try grabbing a 360 pad and trying to jump.

Offline  Wolsk
Rocketeer

i love you
jesus fuck that sounds atrocious

I mean something different from default that a large number of people actually use.
Slight changes like ESDF or switching crouch from CTRL to C and other things like that.

klanana:  I DID NOT EAT THE CAT
dellort: This mod is pretty cool, just wish the devs would fix the bug that allows MIKE to play on it.

Pages: [1]
« previous next »

spirit Powered by SMF 2.0 RC5 | SMF © 2006–2011, Simple Machines LLC