Forums

Pages: [1]
Author Topic: is jump_beef/rj_rckteer all you need  (Read 647 times)
Offline  snufkin
Soldier

hurtme -9999999
I don't know if this is right or not, but if you can complete rj_rckteer are you set for competitive etc? I personally want to continue with rocket jumping and I don't really want to stop at maps like jump_beef and rj_rckteer.
idk

jump_beef http://tf2.gamebanana.com/maps/130068
rj_rckteer http://tf2.gamebanana.com/maps/48222

Offline  snufkin
Soldier

hurtme -9999999
i've probably phrased this really badly

Offline  Yami
Rocketeer

Personally I don't think you need jump maps in order to improve your competitive experience at all, so I guess I'll go with "Yes".

Soldier

in competitive play you usually dont need any special jump tricks.
some rollouts can be tricky but arent that hard with training.
what you should focus on if you want to play competitve is to play with a team learn comms and try to handle diffrent situations.
jumping isnt really important.

Offline  X_DIAS
Rocketman

The world is a cube
strafe skills can help you a lot in some situations

Soldier

My personal recommendation is that if you can complete Beef flawlessly you have about the right level of comfort in your jumps to play 6v6 roamer in div6. Sure you don't need as much technical skill as the map will teach you, but it's more about becoming familiar with easier jumps and more consistent. To really help with jumps you will undoubtedly do as a roamer, grab a market gardener, put a kills whilst explosive jumping part on it and get to 1000 crit kills. Also mantreads if you can afford them.

Offline  Torii
Soldier

Whirlwind "Torii Hurricane"
In my experience in the few pugs I have played... You don't need any of the higher level stuff (wallpogo, syncs, etc). Pretty much all you should know is regular rocket jump, walljumping, airstrafing and at times speedpogo to play an effective roamer (The rest comes down to game sense, aim, communication, etc) .

Very rarely are you going to use rampslides, syncs, water, etc though they are good to know (e.g. fancy jump from mid-spawn to end-spire on badlands or water jumps on cp_well and that other map with the train)

Demo uses rampslides in their rollouts a lot (e.g. badlands, process, snakewater), so if you plan to play him, learn how to do that effectively.

When you jump as a roamer (or even pocket), you have to be comfortable with your jumps, be consistent and don't mess up all the time. The rollout (on 5cp & koth maps) you have to do usually only consists of regular rocket jumps, and even then you usually have to stay with your medic anyway so you don't have to do it extremely fast.

---------------------------

Fly

Backwards straffing saved my ass many times vs those bastard pyro's pushing me off the ledge :D

Pages: [1]
« previous next »

spirit Powered by SMF 2.0 RC5 | SMF © 2006–2011, Simple Machines LLC