Forums

Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Wallpogo (going down)  (Read 492 times)
Maggot

Heya there,

I'm not exactly new to rocket jumping at all. I have completed some of the easier jump maps (beef, adventure, rckteer etc), however I have come to a point on a particular jump map where it's taking me weeks to even barely progress with this technique.

I am of course talking about the level of D5 on jump_4starters_a9. This was the very first jump map I started to learn to jump on. However when I am at D5 (only have D5, D10 and D11 as well as D secret to complete) it seems to be that I am sticking all this effort in for very little gain.

I have watched quite a few people complete D5, as well as seen the wallpogo someone very kindly put up on YouTube. I am fine at staying at a level, as I aim slightly to the left of center to keep straight. However when I go to wallpogo down I seem to drop at a faster rate than everyone else. This means the likelyhood of me falling and failing is pretty much 100%.

Anybody have tips for wallpogo'ing down?

---------------------------
~ Best part of living is toying with the reality that surrounds you ~

Soldier

Hi
God i cant count the amount of ppl who've been asking this. Wallpoging is 100% PRACTICE for some it takes 6 months to learn others weeks. If your one of the lucky ones that only takes like 4 weeks then good for u but... if you really want to learn wallpogo u nid to spend alot of time on it

Hi

Offline  ckdude
Maggot

great advice... just practice.... practice sometimes isn't that productive if they dont know what to do.
clearly hes been practicing
I'm no expert on wall pogoing downwards but in shorter downwards wall pogos i know that you can atleast aim straight (and down ofc) and this will help u fall at a rate that you can climb back up. for longer pogos u will obviously have to adjust but atleast its a start.

Online  CrancK
Rocketeer

ehh... what?
dude...
well, if you can stay level,
how about trying to do that, but then either delay each next shot by a split second, or aim slightly off from where you usually do?
that should get you going down, and you can make it more or less by delaying more/less or shooting more/less offcentre.

It should be quite controllable, but yes... unfortunately it is mostly about practice, me personally.. i might be one of the slowest to have learned wallpogo (Cos i hate it.. and any other slowpogo).
My case: i hated slowpogos, so i just didnt do them, so i also couldn't do them for the next err well till last year really, and even though i never practiced it hardcore, doing it every now and then  (cos nearly every solly map will have one) eventually it just worked, and really i have no idea why, its just when you get used to jumping you get a feeling for stuff, and part of that also translates to downpogo i guess....

anyway... what i mean by that little story... it doesnt matter, if you can't do 1 type of jump.. don't care about it and itll come eventually, or do the eleven way and brute force it by doing it day and night till you get it
both work, both valid. in the end.. if you stick to jumping, even if you dont do downpogos much/at all (like me) eventually youll find you can suddenly do them.

hopefully that helps? :D

Maggot

God i cant count the amount of ppl who've been asking this. Wallpoging is 100% PRACTICE for some it takes 6 months to learn others weeks. If your one of the lucky ones that only takes like 4 weeks then good for u but... if you really want to learn wallpogo u nid to spend alot of time on it
If you have experience so many people asking, then maybe in that time you could've thought of some useful advice.

I know that it will take loads of practice, I'm not stupid. Just that I wanted to know any tips or anything that could help me in a little or big manner.

ckdude and CrancK, thank you for the useful advice. I have tried the delay technique for a week or two however I seem to end up falling too fast. I think I will try and practice the positional way of going down.

~ Best part of living is toying with the reality that surrounds you ~

Offline  Torii
Soldier

Whirlwind "Torii Hurricane"
The delay technique might work for short distances, but generally you'll mess up during a long wallpogo, so I recommend learning the "hold m1" way (changing angles).

What I tell most people, is that you have to alternate between centering your aim on the wall (that is, look perpendicular to it, so the rocket hits you on your right side) and a wallclimb aim (45 degrees to the left).
The vertical angle should be about 15-20 degrees from looking straight down.

Eventually you'll find out that the angle does not need to be precise.

Holding W and crouch and tapping D is absolutely mandatory, for obvious reasons. You tap D when you need to (i.e. swaying too far to the left and getting pushed away from the wall).

As most have said, it takes a lot of practice to get down. I failed littleman's 2nd bonus about 300+ times before I managed to get past the first droppogo. Similar to airpogo though easier, it's something you have to grind.

mouser's Rocket Jumping guide on Youtube helped me tremendously, you can go watch that
Jump to 8:01
TF2 rocket jumping: the ultimate tf2 rocket jumping tutorial I HD

Offline  Yami
Rocketeer

Watch other people do it. Copy them. Practice. Get live advice from skilled players (ie, they tell you what you're doing wrong and what can be done better as you are trying to wallpogo/downpogo).

Soldier

Hi
i say that because ive heard alot of the tips and everything and ive seen ppl do it over and over again asked ppl about it, so i ditched asking for help and practiced for 2 months with trial and error until i got it. So basically i think that if u know that aiming more the the left helps u go up and aiming less the the left makes u go down u can already learn it :/ But yeah im sorry i should have gave some small tips: For drop pogo notice that ppl dont keep their angle the same all the time, they change their angle sometimes when drop pogoing instead they change their angle more to the left after falling for awhile to prevent them from falling too fast which is a major problem in drop pogo. Well at least thats what i do. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OAGiLg1oeas&feature=player_detailpage

Hi

Rocketeer

the skybox is the limit

Pages: [1]
« previous next »

spirit Powered by SMF 2.0 RC5 | SMF © 2006–2011, Simple Machines LLC