Forums

Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Getting more distance on jumps  (Read 490 times)
Offline  gigplay
Maggot

I just started practicing rjing and I've always been curious as to what directional keys to press during the mouse flick motion that would yield the most distance on a jump, or give you the most air time so to speak.  More specifically, let's say you turn 180 degrees to the right to start a rj, would it be fine to press the a key to strafe left during that flick motion or would it be more beneficial to press the s key seeing as how it would help you with your forward momentum?
« Last Edit: February 14, 2013, 02:23:00 AM by gigplay »

Offline  dellort
Rocketeer

Video Maker Extraordinaire
I just started practicing rjing and I've always been curious as to what directional keys to press during the mouse flick motion that would yield the most forward distance on a jump, or give you the most air time so to speak.  More specifically, let's say you turn 180 degrees to the right to start a rj, would it be fine to press the a key to strafe left during that flick motion or would it be more beneficial to press the s key seeing as how it would help you with your forward trajectory?

Moreover, does this procedure apply to ctap jump as well?

If you're using the normal rocket launcher you should be looking about 90 - 110 degrees to the right and holding the left movement key as you fire to continue walking forward. A ctap is the exact same as a rocket jump just with slightly different keypress timing.

Offline  gigplay
Maggot

Thanks for replying!
It just seems odd to me though that you're suppose to turn only 90-120 degrees because wouldn't that shoot you off a little to the side? I'm asking because I've seen people clear the water gap in the middle of 2fort with a single straight rocket jump and in my case, I can only clear it 3-4 times out of 10 so I've been wondering if this inconsistency was due to my not pressing the right directional keys during the lift-off phase to gain more momentum.

Rocketman

Thanks for replying!
It just seems odd to me though that you're suppose to turn only 90-120 degrees because wouldn't that shoot you off a little to the side? I'm asking because I've seen people clear the water gap in the middle of 2fort with a single straight rocket jump and in my case, I can only clear it 3-4 times out of 10 so I've been wondering if this inconsistency was due to my not pressing the right directional keys during the lift-off phase to gain more momentum.

The rocket launcher doesn't not shoot from the center of the viewport, it shoots from the right side.  So if you're standing right against a wall looking straight at it, it will hit to your right. Not perfectly enough to launch you directly left though, which is why you turn just a little bit more.  As you do that, since it fires from the right side of the viewport, it quickly moves fully behind you.

Offline  gigplay
Maggot

Thanks for the reply!
Yeah you're absolutely right.  I knew that and yet I was thinking about it the wrong way, stupid me...
Well, in any case would you agree that holding down the a key is sufficient enough to keep a forward momentum during the turn?  I hear quite a few people say pressing a to move left during the lift-off is enough but it just doesn't make sense to me how that would help propel you further forward during the jump, since you're practically turned 130 degrees the other way.   

Rocketman

Unfortunately, if you don't have analog directional movement, you can only pick between four keys.  Holding in the strafe direction you plan on travelling is the 'most' in the direction you can get before having some type of analog hybrid device.

Pages: [1]
« previous next »

spirit Powered by SMF 2.0 RC5 | SMF © 2006–2011, Simple Machines LLC