Forums

Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: jump_termywermy_beta4  (Read 3229 times)
Rocketman

No tears now; only dreams
jump_termywermy_beta4: http://www.mediafire.com/?ba8a4xq0lq3sbqg

beta4: forgot to pack in skybox texture

beta3: 3 additional levels. Added a bonus too but I hit the brush limit so I had to remove it.

beta2: Not much has changed other than 2 more bonuses

The map is entirely possible as soldier (without regen) except for the air pogo challenge, which is totally impossible.

map run:
TF2 Sticky Jumping - jump_termywermy_beta

demo pogo challenge:
Demo pogo challenge on jump_termywermy_beta
« Last Edit: August 23, 2013, 08:04:33 PM by Afterglow »

---------------------------

Offline  Rooskie
Maggot

Beautiful map, man. Jumps look like fun, but challenging. I would give it a 10/10.

My signature is sexy.

Soldier

I'll try it out when I get home tonight :D Looks like it has some good beginner pogos/airpogos too.

Offline  X_DIAS
Rocketman

The world is a cube
yep
i find it a simple and good map from begginers to intermediate demo jumpers
13 might get annoying to do with pipes, but it is easly cheateable with stickies

Rocketman

beta2 released @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Rocketman

Airpogo1

onakin 2 good :OOOOOOOO

Soldier

Holy crap, how many stickies?

Rocketeer

Holy crap, how many stickies?
somewhere around 60

Rocketman

It's literally as high as you can make it in hammer, taken from conc_school. It doesn't seem that hard in theory but man it's pretty tough...
« Last Edit: December 22, 2012, 06:50:27 PM by Afterglow »

Rocketman

Any suggested changes before the non beta comes? Don't get too excited, it's basically the same thing but one extra bonus.

Offline  X_DIAS
Rocketman

The world is a cube
Not really
Tbh is a pretty good map as it is ^^

Offline  duppy
Fly

I'll offer a few critiques (on beta2)...

After Jump 7 which leads to the control point is rather ugly and needs to be re-done in my opinion.  It's like you just randomly moved some ceiling brushes around so you could get some skybox lighting in there.  The trapezoid shaped window looks ok, but the window that's part of the narrow hallway next to the control point just seems out of place, and if you look though it, you can see through the walls.  And speaking of that hallway, why is it so dark and narrow?

Jump 8 could maybe use regen to make it a bit easier for both demo and soldier...or not...but I tend to see a lot of people stuck on that jump.

I always found jump 9 fairly difficult.  The first part of the jump is kind of a long distance to travel for a double sticky catch.   Placing two stickies next to each other from that height and speed isn't easy (at least for me).   There is that very steep wall that can help, but in my opinion, you should just make the platforms on either side of the water the same height.  As soldier it's seems dumb to slide down that steep wall and then wall pogo across, and I remember always getting stuck on that wall which would screw up my wall pogo...I don't think that right wall is perfectly vertical or aligned properly.

Jump 10 is too easy to skip using either using 3 stickies (with cheats/superman) or straight up vertical air pogo.

Jump 12 seems like kind of a joke considering Jump 11's difficulty.  It's just a simple, one sticky air pogo and strafe around.

Jump 15's end landing zone is a bit weird how it leads into jump 16.  It almost seems like a dead end until you look down into the dark shadow which leads to a thin narrow passage. 

Oh, one other nit-pick...I hate the window texture you used!  Those thin 1 pixel diamond patterns create annoying moirĂ© patterns.  Change 'em please.

That's about it...overall a pretty good demo jumping map though.

Rocketman

Yea aesthetics wise i didn't put much thought into it. Gotta remember I made this map in literally 1 week. Made a goal to try and make a complete map in one day, but that didn't quite happen.

Difficulty curve was a bit hard for me to think of. I tended to put all the air pogos later on. Imo lvl 12/13 should be before lvl 8 but im not sure if ppl can handle air pogo. There's def a noticeable turn in difficulty from the beginner to adv course. I basically tried to make it an extension of jump_embrace in terms of difficulty.

I'll see what i can change, but honestly I don't agree with some of ur criticism.

Rocketeer

I have to say: I disagree with everything duppy said...

Offline  duppy
Fly

If you're gonna disagree, at least say why.

But really, my main problem was with Jump 9...not really saying it's very difficult, but that it could be made easier considering it was placed before a bunch of extremely easy jumps...

Jump 1 = single sticky across gap
Jump "1.5" = single sticky jump upward, then double sticky jump up
Jump 2 = single sticky across gap
Jump 3 = single sticky, stafe around corner
Jump 4 = double sticky jump across water
Jump "4.5" = double sticky vertical jump
Jump 5 = single sticky, strafe
Jump 6 = double sticky jump, strafe around zig-zag
Jump 7 = Drop down onto 2 stickies and stafe around (perhaps intended for learning basic pogo though?).

All of those incredibly easy for any noob demo jumper (even the ones that use 8 stickies at once)

Jump 8 =  "falling pogo" down 4 platforms and then across gap.  A bit harder now.
Jump "8.5" = double sticky jump up

Now we get to:

Jump 9 = single sticky jump across water, shoot out two stickies to catch yourself, pogo, another double sticky catch (or down pogo on side wall), then while pogo'ing on ground, double sticky up the two platforms.

I guess you disagree, but going from at most a double sticky jump (or basic pogos) into all of that which is required on Jump 9 is a pretty big transition in difficulty.  But then, you're an expert demo jumper, so everything is easy to you, right?

And since you disagree, I guess I can assume you think that Jump 10 isn't easily cheated, and Jump 12 is not easy?  Whatever.

If you want to disagree on aesthetics of the first control point area, Jump 15 and the window texture, that's fine, because not everyone cares what a map looks like, but I don't see why you would "disagree with everything".

Anyway, next time I'll hold off on my criticisms since it seems to be a waste of time.

BTW, this is directed more at Heinz, and a bit less toward Afterglow.

Pages: [1] 2
« previous next »

spirit Powered by SMF 2.0 RC5 | SMF © 2006–2011, Simple Machines LLC