Forums

Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Looking for people to Skype/Play with :D  (Read 1515 times)
Fly

((|Crayola|(>
Pretty much everyone on my friends list has gotten tired of TF2 and i was looking for some people that i could chat over Skype while playing TF2! Concidering that I'm posting this on a Rocket Jumping website I would prefer that you at least know the basics of jumping :D I myselft can do C on Jump_4starters_a9 concidering i don't know any other way to show how "good" i am at RJing lol. I'm 16 from Iowa and I'm looking forward to either having a group of people to talk with, or even just one other person, if your interested leave a reply and i can send you my steam/Skype info! :D

---------------------------
Tic's previously owned dog

Rocketeer

the skybox is the limit
You'll probably have more success with Mumble than Skype.

Offline  X_DIAS
Rocketman

The world is a cube
You'll probably have more success with Mumble than Skype.

^ that

is aweful to play with skype

Fly

((|Crayola|(>
You see, I want to use skype because when you use anything like Mumble or any other Channel based chat, it's pretty much the same as using in voice chat with TF2, having to hold down a button which isn't that much of a deal, but Skype is great because it's more private and you get to "chill" with the group of people and it's like steam, easy to set up and let's you know when peeps are online

Offline  uaa
Maggot

You see, I want to use skype because when you use anything like Mumble or any other Channel based chat, it's pretty much the same as using in voice chat with TF2

Not really - I dont have experience with Mumble -, but on Ventrillo and TS 2 or 3 its possible to lock the channel, so no random players (random players = squeeking 12 years old ;) ) will disturb your gaming session. Also, TF2/Steam and Skype have a pretty big sound delay (i would say about 300-500ms), so it might get frustrating, but that depends on gameplay type.

[...] having to hold down a button which isn't that much of a deal [...]

Auto voice recognition is supported by "channel based chat softare" too

[...] but Skype is great because it's more private and you get to "chill" with the group of people and it's like steam, easy to set up and let's you know when peeps are online.

About set up, if you or your friends are able to setup TF2, then they are able to setup Mumble\Vent\TS, its not a big deal.
http://addons.teamspeak.com/directory/plugins/overlay/ts3overlay.html

Call me wierd, but I've been chilling with my friends for over eight years, using TS2 (and TS3 later on).
« Last Edit: October 09, 2012, 06:18:24 PM by uaa »

Rocketman

Also, TF2/Steam and Skype have a pretty big sound delay (i would say about 300-500ms), so it might get frustrating, but that depends on gameplay type.

I believe skype and mumble use the same audio codecs, and have ~the same delay.  Skype is fast, at least, for sure.

But yeah, you're probably better off using mumble than skype, if for nothing but having an open lobby people can join/leave at will, instead of fussing with inviting to calls.

Offline  uaa
Maggot

I believe skype and mumble use the same audio codecs, and have ~the same delay.  Skype is fast, at least, for sure.

I did not know that. We tested Skype a long time ago, things have probably changed since then.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2012, 07:31:30 PM by uaa »

Rocketeer

the skybox is the limit
Mumble is more scaleable in the sense that more people in Mumble is easier to deal with than more people in Skype. In the end it boils down to your own preference, though. No one's going to hold anything against you for choosing a different communication program  :P

Fly

((|Crayola|(>
Mumble is more scaleable in the sense that more people in Mumble is easier to deal with than more people in Skype. In the end it boils down to your own preference, though. No one's going to hold anything against you for choosing a different communication program  :P

Yea, by the way you guys are making it sound, is that I'm wanting to play in a more "competitive way" (Not complaining about you) I use skype all the time with my friends, and I don't mind if there even is the SLIGHTEST delay, I just thought it would be cool to talk with some fellow jumpers through skype where it's easy to use and convinient, with only 2-3 other people because having a lot of people in one skype chat is fustrating. Anyways, i wanted to use skype when playing "relaxed" TF2, cuz im not a big fan of Mumble or Ventrillo personally. Basically so i wouldn't have to hold down "v" when replying to people im jumping with basically.

Fly

((|Crayola|(>
Anyways, all i was looking for was some people that i could constantly play with and get to know.

Offline  Diddy
Rocketeer

Basically so i wouldn't have to hold down "v" when replying to people im jumping with basically.
You can disable push to talk in the first time configuration of mumble.  Literally right when you first run it, it asks you how you want to handle it, whether you want to disable it or rebind it, or some weird third option that I can't remember. 

Skype is shit because the UI is garbage and the calling system is retarded and agitating. 
I see literally no advantage to ever using Skype over mumble.  Mumble is even more convenient (as long as you can handle a few passwords/network names) just because you don't have to call someone to talk, you can just join a server and see who's in it.

some people just shouldnt be aloud to have internet accesss

Pages: [1]
« previous next »

spirit Powered by SMF 2.0 RC5 | SMF © 2006–2011, Simple Machines LLC