Forums

Pages: [1]
Author Topic: jump_dink_b2  (Read 2539 times)
Offline  HBC
Maggot

awk
Releasing this early because I've lost inspiration, and school started. I might finish it in the winter or spring but who knows.

DL link: http://www.filedropper.com/jumpdinkb2

The map is untextured, and the easy course is unfinished, but all of the hard course jumps are in place unless I think of some other one. If I finish the easy course I will start to texture the map but for now it's going to use quba's texturing scheme.

I greatly appreciate any feedback, and if there are any map-breaking mistakes I will fix them immediately.

Notes on b2: I added lighting. That's it.

To be done at a later date:  -Fix the last jump, it's currently too easy.
                                             -Finish the easy course.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2012, 07:07:25 PM by HBC »

Offline  Wolsk
Rocketeer

i love you
Wow, great map, Quba!

oh wait

But no, seriously, this is an awesome map, HBC. :3
I beat most of the jumps, but the difficulty curve is bad.
Some later jumps are way easier than some earlier jumps.
If you want specific numbers, I can check for you.
I like that some of the jumps are very open-ended.
That allows for more freedom with beating the map.
Also, the ideas are very out there, as far as jumping goes.
However, new is definitely not always a bad thing.
You did a great job with the map, and I found it very fun.
Good job, HBC.

---------------------------

klanana:  I DID NOT EAT THE CAT
dellort: This mod is pretty cool, just wish the devs would fix the bug that allows MIKE to play on it.

Offline  HBC
Maggot

awk
I agree with the difficulty curve but it was really hard to mess around with.. All of the people I asked to test for me gave different input for jumps, it was just all over the place.
For some people the difficulty progression is perfect, and for others it's weird. I just decided to place the jumps kind of based on how easy they were by my standards. If I can get more info on what the jump order should be from more people I can probably reach a consensus.

Offline  Klanana
Rocketman

iT! Servers Owner
Team Spec Extraordinaire
Is this map ready for jump it?

Jump iT - 64.74.97.15:27015 | JuJump iT - 74.91.113.66:27015 | Surf iT - 216.52.143.76:27015
Bball iT - 74.91.113.9:27015 | MGE iT - 74.91.122.39:27015

Offline  HBC
Maggot

awk
The easy course isn't done, but the hard course is, so if you consider the hard course to be the map itself then yeah, it's ready.

Online  X_DIAS
Rocketman

The world is a cube
i think is best to wait.....cause you kno......fulbright and all.....

Rocketman

No tears now; only dreams
hard jumps man... I can hardly consider the easy course being "easy". It's definitely not a beginner's map. and I finally get what you mean by grate jump. Honestly though, I CANNOT stand the textures/lighting environment. I say that even as my own map has a similiar texture scheme, but the fullbright lighting is just too much. Maybe my opinion just reflects a recent shift in that I'm beginning to value detailed maps more so than the actual jumps. Maps like aridia, tholos, and klanana just stand out to me as awesome maps. Also can you plz change that skybox... default skybox is hideous
https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Team_Fortress_2_Sky_List

as for the jumps... Truthfully I didn't complete all of them, such as the 3 speedshot one. Some of them required a bit too much precision for me to handle.

1. I don't understand the intended method of ridley's jump
2. Eleven's jump is significantly easier than the previous 2 imo
3. Bloody's jump was easily my favorite. Made a vid of it... I can probably guess that shooting the walls is not the intended way of doing it but i actually think it's harder this way. I just got lucky through trial and error
4. placholder's jump is hard as tits
5. last jump is way too easy to be the last level. I managed to get it without any sync on the ramp, which I assume is the intended method. If you avoid touching the water (which slows you down) but still hit the ramp with enough horizontal speed, you can do rather easily w/o any syncs. Was also a bit confused at the large height of the walls at the start.

vid of jump with some 1337 editing skillz in action:
Jump 8 on jump_dink_b1

Offline  HBC
Maggot

awk
hard jumps man... I can hardly consider the easy course being "easy". It's definitely not a beginner's map. and I finally get what you mean by grate jump. Honestly though, I CANNOT stand the textures/lighting environment. I say that even as my own map has a similiar texture scheme, but the fullbright lighting is just too much. Maybe my opinion just reflects a recent shift in that I'm beginning to value detailed maps more so than the actual jumps. Maps like aridia, tholos, and klanana just stand out to me as awesome maps. Also can you plz change that skybox... default skybox is hideous

Okay so I figured some of the mappers would lash out at me for using quba textures and fullbright. I literally only have those as placeholders for when i'm going to actually texture the map later. Also I personally don't mind fullbright and don't particularly care about the skybox because i think it looks fine.
But since it bothers you all so much to the point of not playing the map I will change it.

1. I don't understand the intended method of ridley's jump

It's supposed to be a prefire walljump. you jump onto the red carpet and fire rockets at each of the grates. the carpet will move you at the right speed so that you don't have to touch your movement keys. Ideally if you don't cheat the jump you only use the rockets you fired from the carpet, but it's kind of easy to cheat.

2. Eleven's jump is significantly easier than the previous 2 imo

Again, kind of hard to judge since some people are good at this kind of jump and others aren't, but I'll take that into account.

3. Bloody's jump was easily my favorite. Made a vid of it... I can probably guess that shooting the walls is not the intended way of doing it but i actually think it's harder this way. I just got lucky through trial and error

You did do it in an unintended way, but that's fine, I actually found out later that I forgot to make the walls shoot-through and just ran with it instead. (although in your video you actually touched one of the blue bars and should've teleported :0)

4. placholder's jump is hard as tits

You may have been doing it wrong, but regardless of that fact, I agree.

5. last jump is way too easy to be the last level. I managed to get it without any sync on the ramp, which I assume is the intended method. If you avoid touching the water (which slows you down) but still hit the ramp with enough horizontal speed, you can do rather easily w/o any syncs. Was also a bit confused at the large height of the walls at the start.

That... was a huge oversight on my part :s I'm going to make the jump harder so that you can't do that.

I will upload the new version of the map when I fix these things.

Offline  HBC
Maggot

awk
I'm currently pretty busy with school so I'm not going to fix the last jump until I have more time to do so, but I added lighting for you clinkles that complained.

Offline  Avaray
Maggot

,,i,,_(-_-)_,,i,,
DL link is broken.

Rocketman

Pages: [1]
« previous next »

spirit Powered by SMF 2.0 RC5 | SMF © 2006–2011, Simple Machines LLC