Forums

Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Jump names  (Read 2173 times)
Offline  X_DIAS
Rocketman

The world is a cube
On the other had, i'd love to see snowboard with a rocket launcher  :P

Offline  Hadokk
Rocketeer

Bball Server Filler Upper
Okay
Well, the point was that communitys have slang and terms and it makes them stronger. Shitty discussion is shitty, though. It's not like anyone is forcing you to use the names for specific jumps.

Offline  Raiin
Soldier

Kangaroo-izzle
Apparently, I'm a robot.
A broad term for a jump gives you room to think about what you can apply that technique to. If I'm told to do wallshots-surfing double-speedshot-pogo-edge and I have this big, long, ridiculous jump in front of me, I will immediately know what I need to do as I go through. The only issue is learning the timing and speeds required and I'll be set.

Having names for jumps so specific is just like giving EVERY folder in your hard drive a shortcut from the desktop. I have a shortcut to tf/ so I can quickly change stuff anywhere around there including my SDK folders. I wouldn't want a HUGE pile of folders all over my desktop just to shortcut everywhere when I can get there with 2 double clicks.

---------------------------

Offline  11
Fly

Jump Around!
Ok, since my last post disappeared, I'll write this one more time.

I agree that naming jump1 and jump3 may cause unneeded complication and it was probably one step too far.

BUT

Jump2 can't really be defined with any broad name and as I see it's widely used as demos. I'd support Matti's name -> dropshot, it's intuitive, not that hard to figure out what should you do.

Jump4 for speedshots is kinda what ctap is to normal jumps. If you do the jump like you normally would, but while landing on the very edge (but tapping crouch before the jump) you get more speed (height). So if we have specific name for ctaps, I don't see any reason why we shouldn't have any name for this. Best name is IMO edgeshot, also really intuitive.

Offline  Raiin
Soldier

Kangaroo-izzle
Apparently, I'm a robot.
I still disagree about naming new things, if you can get them to stick then go ahead.

Offline  11
Fly

Jump Around!
I used some of those names before anyway, it's not hard to get them to stick, just wanted to ask community what they think of it and maybe get some better names. Kinda dissapointing that only 4 people cared to give feedback, but ohwell, at least I know not to name every single jump I think of.

Offline  CrancK
Rocketeer

ehh... what?
dude...
hell, i dont care about the names much, cos like... other ppl call shit speedshots... and i like.. differentiate between pogo and skip... and like.. lexerjump etc... ppl will all have their own naming conventions, and... thats cool :P

Offline  Diddy
Rocketeer

It really doesn't matter to me, if you use a name for it that isn't something like lexerjump (I would know what that means now since it's been said in this post) it should be pretty easy to figure out.  Use whatever name you want.

some people just shouldnt be aloud to have internet accesss

Offline  ZuGuSC
Maggot

Been told many times that walljumping with W is wrong, and you see all them new jumpers try to do so. Might as well call jump1 scrubjumping. Or lazyjumps.

Maggot

honestly... to the edgebug with a rocket: edgeshot sounds fine, but "edgebug and use a rocket" is not that much harder
but: jump is jump... and ctap is ctap because: "jump, but crouch for a short period of time, before actually jumping and shooting" is long and annoying as hell, and people still wouldn't understand

but ive used edgeshot already, and i kinda like it... yea... keeper i tell ya xD

to nr. 2:
i would suggest saying: drop into the jump... like, if you wanna skip after it, say: drop into the skip
though i kinda agree with you on that one, ive honestly not really seen it before... mb once or twice and didnt notice then - this could use a name...
dropshot sounds fine too, as far as im concerned, though that sounds more like actually dropping before shooting... thinking about it... dropping into it does too...
mb groundshot? cause its essentially crouching and firing below you... i like groundshot :)

to the double on the ramp... we already got a name... its called a double speedshot, or a double on a ramp, i dont care which you take... though... you hit the ground, 2 rockets impact in you at the same time... yea, double speedshot sounds about right
no special preperation needed, nothing to watch our for when jumping it, just the surface thats different...

if we rename this... lets start deviding our skips into fastskips, slopyskips, upskips, downskips, slowskips, highskips, grassskips and gravelskips, as well as dirtskips and slight variations and inbetweens of those O_O
im sorry, but that really doesn't make any sense at all

same for the retard-wallclimb --- btw the name i would take here, no offense, it just looks... weird... watching a soldier staring at a wall and firing rockets in front... or we could call it rookie climb
but we don't need a name, its just walljumping, and can be explained with like... 1 word, and 2 extra symbols to everyone who knows it exists... so... why search a specific one?

To the topic:
Overall, i like the idea of having a thread to name things that appear, just... not only jumps
we could for example use a name for walls that block rockets but wont stop players - cause not everyone knows those are physboxes and those can be used for different things too...
Or a Wall that lets rockets pass, but not players - so the opposite - those explanations are quite long, and talking to other jumpers/mappers saying it over and over is tedious, so getting a good idea for a name might be cool

so if anyone can tell me how i shall call those, that would really be nice ;)

also, we could, while we are on terminology, name a few common jump combos, though im not really sure if that really makes sense... i would like the idea, but ... whatever...

like for example, a jump where you go fast forward in any way, then use a slope to change your whole momentum upwards ... idk... a viper... or something...
or a long strafe in a circle a helix...
...so taking common figures and fixing em to jump scenarios

we dont need it, but it would make talking about specific jumps on maps easier, instead of having to say: "on knochenbrecher on cheval" - "which one was that?" - "idk, number 13 or something? ... eeeh... the one where you jump the alternating sloped walls" we could say: "on chevals zigzag" or something...

but honestly, i really dont know how well something like that would translate to jumping, and up to now, it has worked without, so we got no need for it... like... at all xD

yea... long post... thanks for making this topic - hopefully someone finds a few new jumping techniques that really need a name - like the ... groundshot... (alright... stupid name...), and puts those here for suggestions

laters

edit: i take that back, dropshot works fine, seems to be a keeper too ;)
« Last Edit: March 01, 2012, 08:25:06 PM by Blind Girl »

Offline  Derek
Maggot

Been told many times that walljumping with W is wrong, and you see all them new jumpers try to do so. Might as well call jump1 scrubjumping. Or lazyjumps.
I think (hope) people only say that because new jumpers tend to try to airstrafe with W and it doesn't work. If you understand how airstrafing works, then there is nothing any different about W (or S) then A or D. It can make certain jumps easier, like the ones demonstrated in the first video. I myself use a variant of that for long left wall jumps. I look about 135 degrees back, hold W and D, and hold M1. It's not perfect (you need to look further forwards when you start going fast), but it's very easy and works pretty well for most of these jumps. A lot easier than trying to flick 135 degrees back and forth while alternating A and D.

Offline  tordana
Rocketeer

I think (hope) people only say that because new jumpers tend to try to airstrafe with W and it doesn't work. If you understand how airstrafing works, then there is nothing any different about W (or S) then A or D. It can make certain jumps easier, like the ones demonstrated in the first video. I myself use a variant of that for long left wall jumps. I look about 135 degrees back, hold W and D, and hold M1. It's not perfect (you need to look further forwards when you start going fast), but it's very easy and works pretty well for most of these jumps. A lot easier than trying to flick 135 degrees back and forth while alternating A and D.

Pro tip for left wall jumps: the way I do it is (using the default rocket launcher) start with a normal jump at about a 45 degree angle to get some height and some forward momentum, then just looks straight at the wall, a little bit up from straight down, and hold w and m1. Actually works surprisingly well. I can pass the long wall on raiin's BRAINFARTONMAPNAME_2 (Edit - Ayers2, shortly before end of detail), the sort of hell looking hall, every time down the left side using this method.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2012, 03:48:57 AM by Raiin »

Pages: 1 [2]
« previous next »

spirit Powered by SMF 2.0 RC5 | SMF © 2006–2011, Simple Machines LLC